What's new

R.I.P. Jeff Beck

One more I highly recommend watching... The touch and level of control he demonstrates here are amazing. At one point you see Robert Plant sitting in the back of the room, and the grin on his face says it all :)

MAN. If anyone asked "what made Jeff Beck great", this video is the stellar example. The control and knowledge of his fingerboard and his tone is SO... controlled, and he is NOT playing a solo. He is absolutely having a conversation with that instrument. Wow. I bought Wired and Blow By Blow 40-something years ago but as a teen, I wasn't appreciating his natural God-given abilities at that time because Eddie Van Halen was blowing our socks into the neighbor's yards with those first 4 albums.

Shoutout also to the 12 year old girl playing bass... she was simultaneously watching Beck with GREAT admiration while she held down the groove quite nicely, and she kept it on the root, in the pocket, to give Back all the space he wanted. Best Jeff Beck video I've seen. Thanks for sharing!

MAN. If anyone asked "what made Jeff Beck great", this video is the stellar example. The control and knowledge of his fingerboard and his tone is SO... controlled, and he is NOT playing a solo. He is absolutely having a conversation with that instrument. Wow. I bought Wired and Blow By Blow 40-something years ago but as a teen, I wasn't appreciating his natural God-given abilities at that time because Eddie Van Halen was blowing our socks into the neighbor's yards with those first 4 albums.

Shoutout also to the 12 year old girl playing bass... she was simultaneously watching Beck with GREAT admiration while she held down the groove quite nicely, and she kept it on the root, in the pocket, to give Back all the space he wanted. Best Jeff Beck video I've seen. Thanks for sharing!

The "12yo" - her name is Tal Winkenfield (36yo).
â–¼

R.I.P. Jeff Beck

The "12yo" - her name is Tal Winkenfield (36yo).
â–¼

R.I.P. Jeff Beck
HA, I was just looking her up as you were writing this, and oh MY GOODNESS is she a guitar and bass virtuoso! In the one video about her, Jeff Beck said he opened the door (to wherever it was) and saw this little girl standing there, and then he heard her play and was blown away. I never heard of her before this, but wow, is she amazing. So I humbly stand corrected, and glad to know about her talent. And how does she manage to look so young, she was 28 in Beck's video!

HA, I was just looking her up as you were writing this, and oh MY GOODNESS is she a guitar and bass virtuoso! In the one video about her, Jeff Beck said he opened the door (to wherever it was) and saw this little girl standing there, and then he heard her play and was blown away. I never heard of her before this, but wow, is she amazing. So I humbly stand corrected, and glad to know about her talent. And how does she manage to look to young, she was 28 in Beck's video!
:) She does feel the music deeply, and get her cues right, and as yoiu pointed out, she serves the leader's output. I saw her first on a video of Clapton's Crossroads (2007). I was blown away. And I agree, he's in conversation with the instrument, making it sing. Here with Vinnie.

One more I highly recommend watching... The touch and level of control he demonstrates here are amazing. At one point you see Robert Plant sitting in the back of the room, and the grin on his face says it all :)

As a lifelong string bender, nice find my dude.

This is prime Beck, 'nuff said.

:) She does feel the music deeply, and get her cues right, and as yoiu pointed out, she serves the leader's output. I saw her first on a video of Clapton's Crossroads (2007). I was blown away. And I agree, he's in conversation with the instrument, making it sing. Here with Vinnie.

Good Lord I could jam with that girl (guitarist here)... I thought this 15 years ago when I first saw her live and I'm getting the same vibe watching these vids. She's got wicked good bass chops too, believe me. I love the way she feels it, the joy she gets from playing. Those are my favorite kinds of musicians to play with. There's nothing wrong with the more technical players, don't get me wrong.. but when I'm playing with musicians who feel it like that I sort of feed off their energy and go to more psychedelic places if that makes sense; it gets me more excited to experiment with different ideas in the moment.

I also first saw her at Crossroads '07, she was just a little bundle of pure energy hopping around like a rabbit while she played... hope she hasn't changed in that regard!

when I'm playing with musicians who feel it like that I sort of feed off their energy and go to more psychedelic places if that makes sense; it gets me more excited to experiment with different ideas in the moment.

Totally! And I think you can see Jeff encouraging her to explore even more, as he gets carried on by that kind of bold energy too... "Come on! Gimme more!! Go for it!!!"

:)

Top Bottom