What's new

Quick question about dynamics marking

Maybe as a reminder. Are they marked f beforehand, a while back in the score? There is no significance to the brackets in musical terms.

Most probably it's an indication that the composer didn't write those, and that the editor added them as an emendation.

i'm reading a score which has a dynamic change to f. All instruments are marked f apart from the bassoons, the 2nd violins and the violas which are marked [f]. Any ideas why the brackets?
The editor is likely correcting something that they assume was an unintentional omission in the original version, such as missing dynamics markers in the bassoons + vln II while the rest of the orch is at f.

Reactions: muk
Four bars previously everything is marked f apart from the strings which all go to ff. The score I'm looking at is Dvoraks New World 4th movement bar 50. Also the basses and cellos go to fz, whereas the timpani goes to f[z].

Most probably it's an indication that the composer didn't write those, and that the editor added them as an emendation.

The editor is likely correcting something that they assume was an unintentional omission in the original version, such as missing dynamics markers in the bassoons + vln II while the rest of the orch is at f.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense. :)

Reactions: muk
Seeing the score, it is a reminder to stay forte I'd say. At the point with the brackets, there is a textural and registral change and vln1 is marked at ff, so a reminder to stay forte seems appropriate (although not entirely necessary as f is marked beforehand, but it makes good sense to be as clear as possible). This also possibly clarifies the balance Dvorak wanted, seeing that f in brackets is marked in vln 2 and vla - the bassoon provides the sustained foil for vln2 and vla. Interestingly though, my score has all the strings marked at ff throughout that section and so @muk might be correct too - perhaps it's a combo of both explanations.
Unless your conducting it, don't worry and even then, the scoring is obvious and the musical effect will work either way because of the colour and register and the different material - it just depends on how aggressive one wants to be.
The principle of dynamics in brackets at changes in texture, register or sections is not a bad idea, but use common sense and don't overload a score or part with them.

Last edited:
perhaps it's a combo of both explanations.

Given the fact that not only these forte indications are put in brackets, but also some 'z' (turning a forte indication into a forzando - two completely different things), it is safe to assume that these are just indications for additions made by the editor. They are not found in Dvorak's manuscript, but the editor was of the opinion that they were intended by Dvorak, so he added them. It is common practice in classical music editing to put such additions and emmendations in brackets.

This also possibly clarifies the balance Dvorak wanted,

This is what I was initially thinking, as the brackets seemed to mark out the accompaniment to the main line in the higher woodwinds.

Given the fact that not only these forte indications are put in brackets, but also some 'z' (turning a forte indication into a forzando - two completely different things),

I think that nails it.

Dvorak wrote some great stuff. I'm finding this symphony to be a real goldmine for different instrument combinations and textures.

Top Bottom