What's new

Questions of self promotion

@hvarland You have to show yourself in your videos. The music isn’t enough. The music will not “speak for itself” these days. You need to show yourself and your personality. People want personality and engagement, not just another tune.

I can to a certain degree agree on this point, as people more easily attacht to what they can recognize and "bond" with. Still... there are numerous channels wich are anonym

Interesting thread overall, and I can relate as I'm in a similar boat. I've been composing for a director the past few years (mostly small commercial jobs, and one feature), but it hasn't been significant enough to live off alone. I'd love to get my name out there beyond this one client but it's been quite tough since I am not very interested in–and in fact in many ways despise–social media (I think of it as a cancer, an addiction, a thief of attention and joy).

That said, I am also aware that it may be a necessary evil to survive, so last year I had looked into hiring a social media marketing company who I would pay a monthly fee to literally manage my social media accounts as well as strategy for reach and engagement. Since that is not my wheelhouse, it makes a lot more sense to hire someone with that expertise so I can focus on creating, and I also don't have to get sucked into the daily hellhole that is social media.

However a few issues:

1) It's quite expensive or at least outside my budget right now; the range of everyone I spoke to was between $800-1500 USD per month, typically with a minimum of 10 hours per week (which I think is overkill!)

2) They were also seeking me to create a lot more content away from music making than I'm personally capable or interested in. This included a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff, me sharing all kinds of video content for engagement. It would involve setting up a camera, decent lighting, editing, and so on. I actually worked behind the camera in a past life and I've worked in post-production for many years, so it's not for lack of technical skill, it's just that I'm not interested in spending so much time and energy on something which is not me, and this is time and energy that could be better spent on my craft, making better music. I also find so many of those YouTubers and Content Creators and TikTockers to be quite tacky, and the music typically has to have a catchy, trendy, click-baity quality, none of which is up my alley.

3) A vast majority of the social media marketing companies and freelancers I spoke to seem to focus on campaigns and strategies for companies and brands - in other words, they have limited experience with strategy for artists, let alone musicians specifically. I searched but I didn't have much luck finding anyone who specializes in marketing for music accounts, apart from those who work for larger A-list pop singers.

1. Go to Youtube
2. Create a channel
3. Create videos of you making music (show your face on camera)
4. Ask for likes, subscribes, and notifications in your videos
5. Create a Patreon account
6. Post mock-ups of your music to this account
7. Ask for monthly donations for $7 a month
8. Add a link to your Patreon page onto your Youtube videos
9. Post content at least once a week
10. Share one of your videos here on VI-Control on the 3rd of every month

Please get started!
I think this is all fine advice, however I would argue this sounds like the audience for that would mostly be other composers or musicians. For me, personally, and I can imagine for the OP and @MarcusMaximus and anyone else in a similar boat, the ideal audience will be directors/producers/film professionals who would be looking for composers to score their projects, as well as a general non-musician audience who just enjoys listening to music. These are not the audience who will be interested in paying a patreon fee for mockups. Not to say it's a bad idea to try - I wholeheartedly agree with you that the best thing anyone could do is simply just start and take action! Anything is better than nothing.

But for me being on camera is a whole thing, and I'm not necessarily introverted - it just takes away from the music. "Video killed the radio star" kind of thing.

I for one have struggled most of all with choosing 1) the perfect name and 2) the perfect 'venue' for reach.

Last edited:
I can to a certain degree agree on this point, as people more easily attacht to what they can recognize and "bond" with. Still... there are numerous channels wich are anonym
Are these anonymous channels more successful than your channels? If so, what are they doing differently from your channel?

Lots of great posts here and really refreshing to hear that there are others who find the activity of promotion, especially when it involves lots of social media involvement, to be distasteful. I’m very glad I’m not the only one! I do really appreciate the honesty and thought that has gone into what hvarland and wing have said. I resonate with both of you.

Having said that, I have spent a lot of time over the weekend re-taking a course in marketing for musicians I did some years ago and yes, putting the strategies into action. This felt like the best way at the moment for me to take on board Epic Wonder’s dictum to “take action”. I actually enjoy some of that, mainly the creative process of putting in place the structures that will hopefully allow me to build a following of some sort. When I come to the part about interacting with others on the various platforms in order to ‘drive traffic’ etc. I know I will face into that distaste again. But I have to work through that and engage, at least to some extent.

Because I don’t have to make a living from music and have no real interest in writing for film, games or tv etc., I don’t need a big audience. However I do need some sort of audience, otherwise as others have said, what’s the point? The creative circle does need to be completed. However there are many artists, writers and I’m sure composers whose work remains un-witnessed, or minimally so. Which of course is dissatisfying to say the least..

So yes, I would love to think there was a better way of doing things, one that wouldn’t conflict so much with the desire, and the energy and time needed, to create and craft our music. However we have to work with what we’ve got and in the current climate there doesn’t seem to be much of an alternative, apart from remaining passive around promotion and therefore having few to no listeners. Because of my particular needs, I intend to put some limited time on a regular basis into this business with the hope that I will discover and develop my personal holy grail, i.e. a small niche audience. If it ever develops beyond that, well I will be extremely grateful.

Is this an online course? I'd be very interested in taking such a thing - please share the name and info if you don't mind! Also glad some of what I said resonated.
Well it’s not all that great tbh and is taught by some rather young people but it has a few simple principles that I have found helpful, as a way of getting started anyway. They also used to include a personal session to discuss your particular circumstances and needs, not sure if they still do that. I’ll pm you the details.

Theres’s also John Oszajca’s stuff which could be useful, though it’s mostly geared towards other genres. He’s actually very helpful if you get to interact with him as part of the course. Not for everyone though and you need to go beyond the hard sell he uses, which might be off-putting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom