What's new

Quadra metal and wood is out

That's exactly how I felt. I was disappointed that half the library is synth noises, I already have an infinite amount of synth noises. And many of the demos the "natural" instruments sounded synthy as well. I think it's aimed at hybrid percussion scoring, which although it sounds great, isn't my genre right now. On my list, but I have higher priorities right now I think.
Same here. But it is always nice to see new UVI products.

I picked up Quadra - Wood and Metal today, and I gotta say this is one gorgeous-sounding instrument. It's very much in the same family as Mallet Flux, Arpology, Elysium, MAP, etc. but definitely has a warm tone all its own.

I've only auditioned about 15 presets so far, and they're all beautifully programmed - both the arps and instrument combinations.

I love instruments that can randomize patches, and Quadra lets you randomize the instruments and arps independently. However, unlike other random-capable libraries, I haven't found a way to selectively "freeze" individual instruments/arps to make them immune from the randomizer, which is unfortunate.

I will say, I wasn't able to get any instantly pleasing patches hitting randomize about a dozen times. So the randomizer is more of an inspirational starting point that needs further manual effort to refine. This is not unexpected, but by comparison, I'm somewhat in awe of how many great randomized insta-patches can be generated by Arpology, MAP, and Expeditions, that don't necessarily require further tweaking. Sample Logic definitely has the random thing down.

Anyway, Quadra has a lot to offer, both in terms of presets and instrument selection. So far, it's the highlight of my Black Friday purchases.

I picked up Quadra - Wood and Metal today, and I gotta say this is one gorgeous-sounding instrument. It's very much in the same family as Mallet Flux, Arpology, Elysium, MAP, etc. but definitely has a warm tone all its own.

I've only auditioned about 15 presets so far, and they're all beautifully programmed - both the arps and instrument combinations.

I love instruments that can randomize patches, and Quadra lets you randomize the instruments and arps independently. However, unlike other random-capable libraries, I haven't found a way to selectively "freeze" individual instruments/arps to make them immune from the randomizer, which is unfortunate.

I will say, I wasn't able to get any instantly pleasing patches hitting randomize about a dozen times. So the randomizer is more of an inspirational starting point that needs further manual effort to refine. This is not unexpected, but by comparison, I'm somewhat in awe of how many great randomized insta-patches can be generated by Arpology, MAP, and Expeditions, that don't necessarily require further tweaking. Sample Logic definitely has the random thing down.

Anyway, Quadra has a lot to offer, both in terms of presets and instrument selection. So far, it's the highlight of my Black Friday purchases.
on my nano-list.

And it isn't even on a Black Friday sale, but an intro price!

Mallet Flux and Elysium look good.

Arpology = $$$

I like the arp in Quadra the best so far.

and for $99 - easy choice from the lot.

can you add sample sets (sound banks) to Quadra?

Last edited:
Mallet Flux and Elysium look good.

Arpology = $$$

I like the arp in Quadra the best so far.

and for $99 - easy choice from the lot.

can you add sample sets (sound banks) to Quadra?
Do you mean import your own samples into Quadra? As far as I can tell, no. I think that's UVI's way of extending the Quadra engine is to release new Quadra products. Their first was Muted & Harmonics.

Yeah, Sample Logic libraries tend to be quite expensive. Maybe they'll have a generous BF sale. I picked up Arpology from Audio Plugin Deals earlier this year for $90. One of my favorite and most useful purchases of the year.

Do you mean import your own samples into Quadra? As far as I can tell, no. I think that's UVI's way of extending the Quadra engine is to release new Quadra products. Their first was Muted & Harmonics.

Yeah, Sample Logic libraries tend to be quite expensive. Maybe they'll have a generous BF sale. I picked up Arpology from Audio Plugin Deals earlier this year for $90. One of my favorite and most useful purchases of the year.
What about additional UVI sound banks into Quadra?

$90 for Arpology works - i'll wait for that.

But i really like what i see and hear from Quadra.

Thanks for the response.

What about additional UVI sound banks into Quadra?

$90 for Arpology works - i'll wait for that.

But i really like what i see and hear from Quadra.

Thanks for the response.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what "additional UVI sound banks into Quadra" means? Do you have an example?

If you have Falcon you could in theory save a copy of a quadra patch, and then replace the samples with your own. Would be semi tedious though, unless there's a way to copy sample mappings between patches that I've not learnt yet.
I think you're right, unless Quantum has been programmed to prevent it.

You should be able to drag and drop a new sample into each oscillator without disturbing the mappings. But I do believe you'd have to drop the samples in one at a time. Or you could remove some of the mapping/oscillators. Say, replace multiple samples with velocity layers with a single sample.

If you can simply replace the oscillators, you should be able to copy and paste in other key groups from other UVI patches.

All of which is to say, on a one sample for one sample basis, you should be able to load in your own samples very easily. If you have Falcon, and if Quantum hasn't been specially scripted to prevent this.

Not knowing about the inner workings of Quantum, I would not rely on being able to replace samples when deciding whether to buy it. Even so, I think it would be odd if they prevented this given that such editing is one of Falcon's selling points.

And for those who don't have Falcon, definitely not unless it is expressly marketed as having this capacity. I don't think it has been.

I'm new to the Falcon universe - can you add Falcon Soundsets to Quadra?
This is just my theory, based on my experience with other UVI soundware and Falcon.

For UVI, anything that runs in Falcon or the free UVI Workstation is called Soundware. Falcon expansions (preset packs) are a subcategory of Soundware.

So here's the theory.

Falcon expansions wouldn't run inside Quadra. That would be effectively to run one soundware item inside of another. It would be like running Digital Synsations (soundware of a couple of synths) inside PX Sunbox, a different synth emulation. Or to run one of those inside a piano.

And I doubt you quite meant that, but rather whether you could include a Falcon preset/patch (called a program by UVI) inside Quadra. Or, conversely, whether you can use Quadra as a sequencer/arp inside of Falcon.

But I think that is unlikely. As @liquidlino indicated, it may be possible to drop different samples into Quadra if you run it in Falcon. That is much more likely as typically you can do that in UVI Soundware. It may also be possible to copy across sets of samples (Layers).

But this may be prevented by the programming of Quadra.

And, if you've made it this far, you might guess what advice I would offer. Email UVI and ask. Use some of this terminology and you might get a clear answer.

If you like, I could email them to ask for you.

I'm new to the Falcon universe - can you add Falcon Soundsets to Quadra?
I'm using UVI Workstation and don't have Falcon. But it looks like Bee_Abney and liuqidlino definitely have the expertise to provide an adequate answer!

Well, if you have interest in synthesis and sample bank making for your own usage, Falcon is amazing. Everything else is just a toy in comparison. I love my single screen synths like Pigments, and they create beautiful sounds, but when it comes to deep deep sound design, mega-ships like Falcon are untouchable. I'm not an expert yet in Falcon by any means but know my way around it now fairly efficiently.
I went with HALion instead of Falcon a few years ago.

Well, if you have interest in synthesis and sample bank making for your own usage, Falcon is amazing. Everything else is just a toy in comparison. I love my single screen synths like Pigments, and they create beautiful sounds, but when it comes to deep deep sound design, mega-ships like Falcon are untouchable. I'm not an expert yet in Falcon by any means but know my way around it now fairly efficiently.
I know Falcon is a highly praised synth. But I'm more composer than sound designer, so Falcon is overkill for me. Besides, I threw my lot in with Omnisphere long ago, so that's my "big synth" of choice.

I don't have anything against Falcon, I just don't have enough room in my brain to learn a new synth, nor time in my schedule to dive into sound design beyond simple preset tweaking.

Top Bottom