What's new

Post your favourite Vladimir Cosma tracks!

Mark Kouznetsov

ᴍʀ. ꜱᴋɪʙɪᴅɪ ʙᴏᴘ ʙᴏᴘ
There are A LOT of great music from him, but one of my favourites is definitely Le Jaguar:

It's got that 70s feel to it, which is kind of my weakness. So many amazing scores from that era. Love that grand, sweeping, lively feel to it. Something's that missing from so many modern scores, unfortunately.

re-peat

I’ve always associated Cosma with the worst of French cinema: insultingly idiotic, never-funny, badly-acted movies, drenched in insultingly bad and very annoying music.

And French cinema can be soooooooo good.

But it rarely is when Cosma is involved.

All of his music also sounds incredibly dated too, I find. In the worst possible way, that is. Found a video (see below) that presents what are apparently Cosma’s best melodies. Mon dieu. There’s not a single decent one among them. Awful stuff. Awful.
Don’t like that Jaguar music either. Any composer worth his or her ego writes 10 such melodies in an afternoon.

One faint exception: the Satie-esque promenade music from “Diva”. Not great but at least tolerable.

_

OP
Mark Kouznetsov

Mark Kouznetsov

ᴍʀ. ꜱᴋɪʙɪᴅɪ ʙᴏᴘ ʙᴏᴘ
I’ve always associated Cosma with the worst of French cinema: insultingly idiotic, never-funny, badly-acted movies, drenched in insultingly bad and very annoying music.

All of his music also sounds incredibly dated too, I find. In the worst possible way, that is. Found a video (see below) that presents what are apparently Cosma’s best melodies. Mon dieu. There’s not a single decent one among them. Awful stuff. Awful.
Don’t like that Jaguar music either. Any composer worth his or her ego writes 10 such melodies in an afternoon.

One faint exception: the Satie-esque promenade music from “Diva”. Not great but at least tolerable.

_
Ooh, edgy

TGV

When I read the title of this topic, I couldn't help but remember a French guy I corresponded with for a while, until he fell of the radar. He liked to mock up tracks, and he had a thing for Vladimir Cosma. It probably was the soundtrack of his youth. I'm uploading one of his Cosma mockups, Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire. Here's to you, Fred, wherever you are.

Attachments

• Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire-2.mp3
    9.5 MB · Views: 0

Stevie

La gloire de mon père

Longer version:

Experienced the movie in the theatre when I was 9 years old (I grew up in France) and I was completely blown away by the power of music. This pretty much triggered unconsciously the desire to compose film music in me.
Merci Vladimir.

Last edited:

molemac

_
Tu ne comprends rien sur le cinéma français si tu n’aime pas ça. Dîner de cons aptly named.

molemac

I love Cosma, but my favorite is "Habanera" from "La Gloire de mon père", just for the sound of cicadas... and beautiful film too!

I think John Barry might have been influenced by this, 1:36 is quite Bond like

re-peat

Every new post that gets added to this thread only confirms (to me, I mean) what I’ve been thinking all along. Actually, it’s more serious than that: I’ve never held Cosma in high regard, but having listened to the above videos, I can't but conclude that he’s even a lot worse than I already thought he was. There's never been another VI-C thread that has so much kitsch-y, uninteresting, idiotic and third-rate music on display as this one.

I also notice again how poorly performed, recorded and produced all this music is. Really-really bad recordings. To be fair to Cosma, he’s not the only European film composer (I use the term loosely so as to include Cosma) to have suffered this fate. Up until a decade or two-three ago, most European film music — except when it was written by a composer of international stature (and even that was no guarantee for a decent sound production) — was recorded, or so it would appear anyway, in the direst of conditions, using under-rehearsed, amateuristic-sounding orchestras and players, and with only the barest of production budgets.

- - -

It’s possible that I don’t ‘understand’ French cinema. I doubt it though. I grew up with it. (I can ride on my bicyclette from my home to the borders of France — singing Yves Montand’s “À Bicyclette” while I’m at it —, if I want.) So, I’m pretty confident that I know and understand French cinema (and its music) as well or as poorly as anyone here. Which is precisely why I object with such vehemence to Cosma. If this thread had been about Sarde, Portal, Delerue, Legrand, Petit, Solal, Françaix, Yared, etc. … my contribution to it would have been entirely different.

_

Rob

stale member
In order to disprove Piet's comment, which is one of my favorite activities, I've searched for something valuable, something that clearly would show the geniality of the above composer, but alas, I came away with empty hands...

tmhuud

Brown Belt
Ah yes , Delerue. What a fantastically inspiring composer. Cosma? 🤔 well... I seem to recall a soundtrack called “Diva”? But I can’t remember any of the cues off hand , but....I DO remember La Wally which I thought was a marvelous opera with a wonderful theme. It was featured in part in the film. I believe that was composed by Alfredo Catalani. Devine.

Loïc D

Monkeying with libraries
If this thread had been about Sarde, Portal, Delerue, Legrand, Petit, Solal, Françaix, Yared, etc. …
Man, you’re paving the way for my French composer appreciation thread that I left aside for weeks (and feels guilty of).
I’ve got plenty of new content in preparation.

Cosma is THE composer for 70s/80s French popular movies (think : family movies). He’s been doing what he was hired for : catchy tunes, simple and straight.
Directors & producers of these movies didn’t want complicated music of the likes of Delerue, Sarde, De Roubaix and al.
Who were conversely certainly not too much willing to score these movies too.

Mr Pringles

Vladimir Cosma is/was one of the greatest composers out there from the 70s to early 90s with La gloire de mon père being one of his best cues. The movie was great on its own but the music really made it shine and nostalgic like Marcel Pagnol's novel.

What I like the most about him are his melodies (which terribly lack in many composers cues), his obvious inspiration from jazz/classical music and etudes, and the way he makes the chords transition in making variations of the main theme.

Maarten

His late sixties / early seventies work is also worth listening. Especially if you like the kazoo.

In "Clerambard (les demoiselles de provine)" from 1969, the kazoo plays a staccato melody, with legato slurs at the end of the phrases (just a note for mock-up). More kazoos become active during the song, sometimes a diatonic third above the melody, sometimes contrapuntal lines.
This melody will stay with you for a very long time. Listener beware!

Freely moving fat electric bass, not so tight Hammond stabs and a loose drummer accompany this infectious melody.

Some beautiful brass enters the field after 45 seconds. From then, an intricate rhythmic melodic texture, with call & response elements appears. The song finishes off with an abrupt perfect cadence, a rising fourth.
(no need for Neo-Riemannian theory to comprehend it)

You will be left with a smile on your face. 1:48 pure enjoyment!

Top Bottom