What's new

POLL: 100mm or 60mm for CC control over scoring libraries?(edit w/ photo on page 2)

pick a size

• Total voters
this is totally possible and i have thought about this but i dismissed it because i was unsure how many daw could display midi easily. this idea came about because of things like midi ox, pocket midi, and midiview but i didnt want people to have to rely on that. now that i am able to step back a little and look at the project from the 2 fader version instead of the 5 fader version this makes a little more sense.

would you mind to give me a list of daws you know of that can display this midi data easily?
I guess I was just assuming, since Logic clearly displays all midi in values directly in its transport section. But possibly other DAW users could chime in here as well!

I guess I was just assuming, since Logic clearly displays all midi in values directly in its transport section. But possibly other DAW users could chime in here as well!
i know logic does, cubase has a midi monitor, and i bet reaper has something because it seems to have about damn near everything(whether it is easy to get to or not, i have no clue.) if ableton has one i have not found it and had to use workarounds, i have not seen one in presonus studio one yet but it seems to have a lot of things added on a regular basis. hopefully some more people can chime in on these.

Another idea using two buttons could be: Hold to start. Blinking starts. First button sets the first digit of the three digit sequence with the number of presses. Second button moves to second digit. And so on. So setting a CC value of 127 for example would be:

Hold. Blink. First button one time. Second button one time. First button two times. Second button one time. First button seven times. Second button one time.

Another idea using two buttons could be: Hold to start. Blinking starts. First button sets the first digit of the three digit sequence with the number of presses. Second button moves to second digit. And so on. So setting a CC value of 127 for example would be:

Hold. Blink. First button one time. Second button one time. First button two times. Second button one time. First button seven times. Second button one time.
should i ship the unit with a cyanide pill? j/k, lol. thats a little outside the realm of user friendly i am going for. but def keep the ideas coming. even within that one there are some things i like that spring creativity and other ideas!

yes they do, i just didn't want people to have to open an app when they wanted to change stuff. BUT, that was when i was focusing on the 5 fader and 9 button only, now that i am adding the 2 fader and x/y pad with joystick modules to the lineup i am a little more friendly with the idea of a midi monitor assist and it seems like it could be a great solution to the problem. so i will work on including that capability.

should i ship the unit with a cyanide pill? j/k, lol. thats a little outside the realm of user friendly i am going for. but def keep the ideas coming. even within that one there are some things i like that spring creativity and other ideas!
Haha. I realize it’s not ideal for changing on the fly. I was thinking with three banks and six virtual faders you might only do this setup once and then stick to it. :)

Haha. I realize it’s not ideal for changing on the fly. I was thinking with three banks and six virtual faders you might only do this setup once and then stick to it. :)
yeah i totally get what you mean. i was just having a bit of fun. i imagine most people are going to set things up a certain way and leave them for a while. but if i make it easy on the youtube reviewers maybe they will hawk my goods LOL. mostly kidding..... but a few extra sales never hurt!

yeah i totally get what you mean. i was just having a bit of fun. i imagine most people are going to set things up a certain way and leave them for a while. but if i make it easy on the youtube reviewers maybe they will hawk my goods LOL. mostly kidding..... but a few extra sales never hurt!
Yeah, the slider + midi input monitoring is definitely a better route if you think most people would be able to use it! For myself, just two faders, two buttons, and the midi in display in my DAW would work perfectly!

Yeah, the slider + midi input monitoring is definitely a better route if you think most people would be able to use it! For myself, just two faders, two buttons, and the midi in display in my DAW would work perfectly!
If the buttons could be assigned to do things what would you use them for?

I'm very interested in this unit, looking forward to seeing the final design. Solid aluminium case sounds very promising. The two fader version seems interesting as well.

Personally I'd prefer that the focus was on making a very high quality product, I'm less concerned about the price. There's already plenty of cheap/cheap feeling units out there.

And keep in mind a lot of people here spend thousands of dollars on libraries (not to mention computers, speakers, mics, interfaces, synths, outboard gear, studio furniture etc.) and many are willing to pay the fairly high price of the JL Cooper Fadermaster for instance. Make an excellent controller, for a price you are comfortable with, and I suspect you will sell quite a few. Speaking for myself, if I found the perfect controller for my needs, I'd no doubt be very happy to get it for $100, but I imagine I would still end up getting it at several times that price.

I'm very interested in this unit, looking forward to seeing the final design. Solid aluminium case sounds very promising. The two fader version seems interesting as well.

Personally I'd prefer that the focus was on making a very high quality product, I'm less concerned about the price. There's already plenty of cheap/cheap feeling units out there.

And keep in mind a lot of people here spend thousands of dollars on libraries (not to mention computers, speakers, mics, interfaces, synths, outboard gear, studio furniture etc.) and many are willing to pay the fairly high price of the JL Cooper Fadermaster for instance. Make an excellent controller, for a price you are comfortable with, and I suspect you will sell quite a few. Speaking for myself, if I found the perfect controller for my needs, I'd no doubt be very happy to get it for $100, but I imagine I would still end up getting it at several times that price.
Thank you. This is def the direction I am going in. I want it to be high quality, sleek and have a small footprint.

we have been able to move forward with the software and found chips to suit all my specifications. we are sending off for another prototype today or tomorrow. here is the 2 channel version. not much to look at yet. we will also be 3d printing a case for it in the next week or so. ill post that as soon as it comes off the printer. this little guy will be about 4.5"x2"

Attachments

• jcjiedfnaplfplem.png
    jcjiedfnaplfplem.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Very interested in this! The maker in this YouTube video has an interesting take on a user-friendly way to set CC's using a single button.
this is similar to how the five fader version(mentioned and pictured on page two of the thread) works but with one lcd screen between each fader near the top of the throw.

i wanted to keep a low profile and a small case so these options were not feasible in the two fader version. and you cant put all three lcd between the faders due to stability in the machining process.

in a box that size(in his video) it def works fine and is clever but, trying to do that for an actual manufactured product presents quite a few hurdles i would not care to take on, or charge the customer for =)

thanks for showing that to me though, i like to see anything that other people do.

I prefer short throw faders with high resolution. I like to "fade" with my forearm anchored, somewhere between my wrist and elbow, depending on the work surface that the controller is setting on. This allows finer control (wrist and finger movement only) without having to actually move the larger muscles in my arm. This is the same way I use my mouse pad. I am currently using a StudioLogic Mixface controller with only 45mm faders.
I am trying to decide between the StudioLogic Mixface and the faderfox MX12...would you know which of these have a better resolution?

Top Bottom