What's new

PluginGuru UNIFY Update (now 1.1.10) is Here!

Reid Rosefelt

aka Tiger the Frog
Oh man, look at this. There are more videos to come and I'll add them as he does.
Get it HERE
Thank you John Lehmkuhl! :2thumbs:

Unify is a flexible plug-in for working with MIDI effects, Instruments and Audio effects in a sleek “Unified” single-screen interface! It also comes with 400 patches and over 2.5GB of samples from PlugInGuru’s 12 unique and awesome sample-based libraries that were originally found in libraries for Omnisphere.

Note that this includes a sampler. Also John says in the first video that he created patches for an about-to-be released Korg virtual instrument, which is obviously their new Triton. He then says he has included the presets he created for that in Unify. :dancer:

Last edited:
I have a question. Maybe one of you has the answer. It's listed on the site as the "Standard Edition."
Does that mean there is a "Deluxe Edition" coming? And if so, what will be the path to an upgrade?

Pro edition is due out sometime within a year, I believe. I think it's meant to have a more extensive sampler and support network hosting through NetVST (which the dev Shane Dunne also works on).
Thank you! I wrote John about it, but I suppose he won't have many details yet.

But I'm sure I will upgrade no matter what it is.

This looks mighty fine indeed, but I wonder if it’s worthwhile if one has the same sounds in Omnisphere.

I'm definitely very interested, but I can't tell from the install video whether one can set the location for the 2GB sample / sound file install (i.e., on an external drive), or whether it only installs on the main hard drive. I'd obviously like to find out before actually spending money on a purchase - anyone have any idea?

EDIT: Although the first part of the install video makes it look like Unify just installs the library on the main drive, from the end of the install video it becomes apparent one can, in fact, move the library to an external drive, so it looks like I posted too early, but I'm all set!

Last edited:
Ooooooook..........seems intro means some kind of beta. But I have NEVER had any app that AUTOMATICALLY closes my brother and tries to do a restart without even asking. I can just stop before it closes completely but browser and some other apps have already been closed :-(.

Not happy that I cant choose the install pathes but I can life with that, but an automated restart of my PC without asking, sorry Skippy, thats a now go !

I will have to go out here (again) I think to do the restart cause otherwise I am afraid nothing will work. Hope there are no more surprises like that waiting.....

Just purchased. On my mac, at least, it did not force a restart. No problem moving the sound library from the default install location to an external drive (although I can see real beginners perhaps getting confused by how to do this). I've just played around a little bit, but so far it sounds swell!

Instant BUY! 59$ lol.
John never disappointed me. In fact, he brought me into VST Synthesizer Sound Design.
After watching abt 30 hr of his Tutorial videos, i was a new Omnisphere User some years ago (2015). Thank You John ! And of course Airwave, Shane and all the others in Johns Team.

Have followed progress on Guru YT-Livestreams for some time. Will follow experiences here for a bit, since running (2) Win10 Pro PC /Reaper DAW(s); and John's work is done on Mac /Logic Pro, now sure about Shane's dev system. Have almost all PluginGuru Libs, but minor frustrations over time as there is little, detailed help for Windows niggles.

guys from Europe, just keep in mind John(pluginguru) is in Oregon State in USA.
Thats -9 hrs from Central Europe. I hope u dont expect him to answer at 6 or 7 am in the morning.

Seems I cant really not recommend this one at the moment as win 10 user. Next step "drag and drop the library" just wont work (I just get a strick through circle instead of the "+", thats it :-( ). Will look if there is any other possibility, but this is really no fun....

EDIT: if anyone found another way on windows would be really great, I find none, not in the install video not in the short rtf manual, there simply dont seem to be any other way to show the path to the library to install :-(

Last edited:
Trying to figure out how it differs from Patchwork which allows me to combine VSTs already. And Patchwork works in ProTools. This doesn't.

INfos on the licensing model, i just checked my account and there are 3 possible License. I used the first one only, but its obvious you can add a 2nd and a third one without trouble.
The Download of the Big Sample File (abt 2.3 Gbyte) took me 2 tries, first time standard via browser interrupted several times, BUT i use OPERA, which has a resume function, so i finally downloaded the file within like 15 minutes.
Parallel i used JDownloader which was way faster (like 7 Minutes) and this app resumes itself. So both files ended up in different direcories (good to have a backup).
Now i dragged this huge file to my other Music PC via Network in the right folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\PlugInGuru\Unify\
and thats it. Then switch on browser and in the top right corner rightclick and do a "rebuild Database"
The window then shows this:
https://prntscr.com/qk6ful

BTW i didnt need to restart and its asked me after installation "restart now or later".
Now i started Unify as standalone inserted one of my 3 keys, acivated, and fiddle with the integrated sampler sounds.
NO PROBLEM at all.

Last edited:
Trying to figure out how it differs from Patchwork which allows me to combine VSTs already. And Patchwork works in ProTools. This doesn't.
Patchwork costs $99 and this costs $59 and has a LOT more features. As far as I know, Patchwork is just a utility. This is also an instrument. Patchwork doesn't come with 2.5 GB of sampled sounds, and 400 presets by Lehmkuhl and Airwave. Yes it loads up a lot of freeware to get the 400 sounds, but the freeware is manipulated by a pretty gifted sound designer. Isn't that what he usually sells for $$--his presets? :) It looks like he put in some patches he did for Triton, which I don't think you'll find in Patchwork.

He's the PluginGuru. This will have Pro Tools and Catalina at some point. Anybody who doesn't believe that can wait and pay the full price to be sure.

To my knowledge, he's never released anything without adding more free goodies later. It's how he rewards his customers. I could be wrong about that, but he does do that often. Anyway, I believe he will do it with this because this is a big deal for him and he has put a lot of work into it. I expect to see more presets and more instruments.

For the record, I have spoken with John on the phone a few times long ago, so he is a distant acquaintance I guess. But I admired his work long before that and always will.

Seems after trying around lots of stuff I found a workaround for me, maybe the idea could help if someone stumbles into same problems.

Trying to open the VST in my different DAW and then drag and drop does not work either, same problem.

But then I opened the standalone version of Freestyle (which goes into kind of similiar direction then Unify but is much more complex and develloped since years) and there it
miraculously works that after opening Unify in there I could drag and drop the library file.

So there must be something really not considered in Unify which prevents opening the library in Unify directly.

Then after opening the standalone version of Unify you really need pacience cause it seems to took a while (some minutes) even after clicking on "rebuild database" till the patches are there.

Glad it works now so far and I can try out the interesting things :).

I have written to support waiting for a more general solution but for anybody having same problems on win 10 I can just recommend to open any daw/app that can open Unify and try till you find something that accepts that library file.

i work on WIN 10 and have no problems, but i know what i am doing...
and yes, workarounds is what we all do since M$ started out with DOS 2.11 in the 80s.
Its the way it is. Take your time and find OUT how it works and read the manual/watch Videos.

This Unify Thingy is a permanent work in progress, which John explained a 1000 times in his streams.
I wont expect it to be perfect now, its the community also adding new "inspirations".

Every Saturday around 9 PM Central European Time (Paris Berlin time) John invests 2 hrs to explain things to us abt Omnisphere and lots of other plugins and his patches and how he did them.

This is not Native Instruments or Steinberg u dealing with. (and they somehow never answer your questions anyway,lol).
Cubase is a work in progess since early 90s, and i accept it cause there is no better solution for my personal workflow.

i work on WIN 10 and have no problems, but i know what i am doing...
and yes, workarounds is what we all do since M$ started out with DOS 2.11 in the 80s.
Its the way it is. Take your time and find OUT how it works and read the manual/watch Videos.

Glad it worked for you. Even if I think I know too what I am doing (and have watched the videos and read the manuals).....

But trying out something inside a vst/daw and watching these hour video sessions and "work in progress" for me had nothing to do with general installation bugs, these are two different things for me. I am glad I found the workaround for now and I am sure John will fix this soon on general level.

I have no issue waiting, but Unify has been long in development and have followed YT-Livestreams carefully.
Focus on Mac /Logic Pro is an issue, since this goes far beyond typical Guru Library releases.
Earlier point about 'small' developer is true and fair, but Windows /PC world is massive by comparison to iOS and having no active Guru /Windows usage/expertise is likely to be problematic with Unify.
Hope not, but not gonna be early adopter unless Shane, or other devs are capable Windows owners/users.

Last edited:
Top Bottom