What's new

PLAY 6

José Herring

Lost in Cyberspace
Okay so after I got a functioning Play setup about 6 years ago with Play3, I pretty much didn't want to tempt fate and didn't upgrade until last week. Now I'm on Play6. I never expected the Play transition to be a smooth one and in that regard it didn't fail. I won't get into details and I don't think it's all Play's fault, could be a combination of many factors some of which having to do with Windows. But, it's all up and running now.

Without this turning into a bash Play thread, I mean, by now we all know what we're getting into with Play, but as I'm rebuilding my template I'm noticing that Play has a lot of hanging midi notes. When that happens I can only change the midi channel and the note will cut off. Then I can change it back.

Like I said no Play bashing but has anybody experienced this with Play6? Is there a fix?

Last edited:
I used to experience that every now and then, but not frequently. But I've been experiencing that since play 4, and also with Kontakt.
Usually I just need to re trigger the hung note and it fixes it. So maybe my issue is different to yours.
Fwiw, I don't recall having the problem since I stopped using VEP a year ago, and in fact my PLAY based template is my most reliable and efficient template I've had.

The installation adventure I had turned out to be because it doesn't work if you even have an original iLok on your system, not just if you have its license on one.

It loads a lot faster than Play 5, though, and I haven't had any hanging notes.

I used to experience that every now and then, but not frequently. But I've been experiencing that since play 4, and also with Kontakt.
Usually I just need to re trigger the hung note and it fixes it. So maybe my issue is different to yours.
Fwiw, I don't recall having the problem since I stopped using VEP a year ago, and in fact my PLAY based template is my most reliable and efficient template I've had.
Yes I use VEPro that could be it.

I am actually not planning on upgrading VEpro becuase it seems like they are charging more for less and I have no interest in any synchron stuff atm.

Are you networking or do you have your template hardwired?

Lemme guess, Jose-you had to rebuild every template and every project that used Play, is that correct? I'm curious because I'm using a VERY old version of Play on my Mac Pro and a newer one on my slave Mini, and I'm loathe to upgrade though I've had Play 5 on my desktop for a year.

Me no likey rebuilding templates and projects.

Lemme guess, Jose-you had to rebuild every template and every project that used Play, is that correct? I'm curious because I'm using a VERY old version of Play on my Mac Pro and a newer one on my slave Mini, and I'm loathe to upgrade though I've had Play 5 on my desktop for a year.

Me no likey rebuilding templates and projects.
It was weird. And, not all of it was Play's fault.

First as Nick said, I had ilok1. It did not like ilok1 and I lost all my registration files. But, oddly enough, all my Play libraries would still load and function. The only one that didn't was HS Gold. It kept asking for HS Diamond which I never purchased and don't have. So.....

I bought an ilok3. While it was on its way, I transferred all my play licenses to my computer. This is where it gets even more weird. I could now load HSGold into Play standalone and plugin in Cubase and VEPro but for some reason my VEPro template still kept asking for HSDiamond.

Then, I got the new ilok3 transferred all my licenses to it. It screwed up everything. So as Nick B said, I had to completely remove my ilok1 from my computer then everything started to work again, but my VEPro template still wouldn't load HSGold so I just started from scratch on all my Play libraries because it was time to just do over anyway.

Then the hanging note problem started mostly on crossfade patches.

I did notice in the Play 6 manual that they list a bunch of DAW configurations but nothing on VEPro that I've found yet. So I'm starting to suspect....

Yes I use VEPro that could be it.

I am actually not planning on upgrading VEpro becuase it seems like they are charging more for less and I have no interest in any synchron stuff atm.

Are you networking or do you have your template hardwired?
No more networking. Making the most of Cubase's disable tracks feature nowadays. This is mainly because I go back and forth between 2 studios so keeping everything inside the project works really well for that. Especially with PLAY, since it doesn't care where the samples are located, it knows where to find them all. Kontakt however, ALWAYS asks for locations, which gets very tedious.

I also had that problem of looking for diamond patches instead of Gold. That was 3-4 years ago. Boy what a headache.

FWIW, I had an amazingly helpful experience with EW support not too long ago, during which we communicated over a teleconferencing program whose name I can’t remember during a scheduled call. Anyway, I allowed the dude control over my computer, and he reorganized my libraries and Play stuff and got me fully functional in about 15 minutes. REALLY helpful.

I use Play 6 and it has worked flawlessly.
Same here! The only "difference" might be that I installed directly Play 6 to my Windows 10 64-bit, and it works like a charm both as a stand alone application and as a VST plugin in my FL Studio 20.

So my perfect experience doesn't include updates from previous versions, etc...

No more networking. Making the most of Cubase's disable tracks feature nowadays.

If you don't mind, could you expand on that? I'm probably just either blind or stupid (or both!), but the last time I tried that, I couldn't get Cubase to unload the instrument from memory, making that functionality useless to me.

Probably my fault. Not trying to bash Cubase here. I love Cubase.

If you don't mind, could you expand on that? I'm probably just either blind or stupid (or both!), but the last time I tried that, I couldn't get Cubase to unload the instrument from memory, making that functionality useless to me.

You are probably using rack instruments and midi tracks assigned to them, instead of instrument tracks.

- Piotr

No more networking. Making the most of Cubase's disable tracks feature nowadays.

I've been doing the same thing with Logic's "disable" feature, along with moving everything to Samsung T5's. I actually haven't turned on the slave in over six months, really digging this. It also forced me to create templates of patches I'll actually use, which is great because I only have 16GB Ram on the MacBook. But so far, so good!

FWIW, I had an amazingly helpful experience with EW support not too long ago, during which we communicated over a teleconferencing program whose name I can’t remember during a scheduled call. Anyway, I allowed the dude control over my computer, and he reorganized my libraries and Play stuff and got me fully functional in about 15 minutes. REALLY helpful.

Same here - he figured out the iLok 1 problem and straightened it out right away.

The issue isn't the end of the world, but I only have one iLok 2 (vs. several iLok 1s), and it was convenient having some things on their own dongles.

hanging midi notes. When that happens I can only change the midi channel and the note will cut off. Then I can change it back.

Most DAWs have a "midi panic" button which sends out midi messages by which all notes stop on all midi channels of all (vst and external) instruments. In Cubase you can find it under the midi menu where it is called "midi reset" or something like that.

Sometimes I have hanging notes, but not often and not specifically on Play, but also on Kontakt and other vst instruments.

Top Bottom