What's new

Piece for piano and six celli

If you throw everything that governs music out of the window — or as much as can be thrown out anyway, because certain things, like sound and time, are obviously difficult to get rid of (unless you believe, as some great musical minds do, that music can also exist, in its fullest possible realisation, on the page) —, you inevitably end up with a degree of freedom so unrestrained that it robs everything of its meaning. That is what the traditional systems do: they give meaning, weight and purpose to all the musical elements that a composer works with. They establish hierarchies, lay out roadmaps, provide means to create direction, create the conditions for tension and resolution, and countless other things …

If you decide to do away with all that, and let absolute freedom rule instead, what are you left with? Well, pitches, dynamics, colours, time … but no way to organize it with any sense of meaning or purpose, never mind meaning or purpose that can be conveyed to the listener.

Towards the end of the 19th century and all through the first half of the 20th century, composers became increasingly aware of this. Hence the birth of all kinds of new ‘systems’ to regain or restore some form of control over what otherwise would be unmanageable meaningless chaos. (Other composers opted for entirely different buoy-like solutions like, for example, neo-classicsm, in order to stay afloat during that period.)

But what many of these newer systems lacked, suspicious as they were of anything inherited from the organized and orderly past, was a strong connection with the physics of music. The big difference between these newer systems and the traditional ones, as I see it anyway, is that the latter weren’t abstract concoctions designed to bring or reinstate (usually on a mostly theoretical or mathematical basis) some measure of order and meaning to musical building-blocks, no, the traditional systems themselves had to function within the confines of yet another system and one of even far greater authority: a sort of supra-meta ‘umbrella’ system, largely defined by the laws of physics, that had shaped music ever since it existed.

(All of this in the context of the Western music tradition obviously. Attempting to include non-Western traditions here as well would make things far too complicated.)

Take classic counterpoint for instance. Classic counterpoint is, on the surface, every bit as cerebral/intellectual/abstract a musical ‘system’ as any in recent times — often even more so, I would say — but with the important difference that counterpoint not only sets rules, but is itself also ruled by … nature itself. Serialism, for the most part, isn’t. Serialism is essentialy a theoretical artificiality without much intrinsically musical roots. It’s a brainchild, not a child of nature. You can never say that about (classic) counterpoint because even in its most extreme excesses, it remains firmly grounded by the laws of physics. Many of the things you can or can’t do in classic counterpoint aren’t determined by some arbitrary and abstract set of rules, but by physics.

It’s that umbrella of physics — overtones, consonance, dissonance, tonality, sympathetic resonances, etc. … or, even when tempered for practical reasons: tuning — that shapes and validates the old systems. Not entirely of course, but to a defining extent certainly. Many of the newer systems however choose to disregard all that, and therefore only exist on a strictly intellectual/theoretical/mathematical plane, rendering them, as musical systems, at once much less powerful and, in my view, also much less musically satisfying and expressive.

All of this isn’t meant to advocate a return to the old systems — far from it, "Hark for'ard, full speed ahead!", is what I say — but I do strongly believe that those old systems, by way of being, have a musical power (and thus appeal) that can’t really be replaced by anything else. Which is why I could never completely abandon them. I need consonances, otherwise my dissonances have no power. I need tonality because, apart from its inherent sensuousness and appeal, tonality is what gives meaning, weight and purpose to my atonality.

__
Love your reasoning here around physics. Couldn't agree more.

Add to this the realm of psychophysics or psychoacoustics, that links the physical and perceptual dimensions and points to the ultimate musical impact on the listener's response.

On another note, thanks for describing how you process the piano. Going to give that a try.

Oh influence absolutely! I mean since Pythagoras first analysed the ratios all the way to my own theory of harmony, physics has been the basis for many developments. However, one must not confuse inspiration with direct correlation. We have made very arbitrary interpretations of the data and as evidence no other culture developed tonality. In fact quite a few are rather atonal e.g. mapuche, gamelan, etc. Acoustics has more to do with timbre recognition than the rules of harmony and/or counterpoint. Consider that a 4th should have higher hierarchical priority than a 3rd, and that a major triad with an out-of-tune minor 7th is not a point of resolution in tonality.

Anyway, I digress. I also vote for more movements! 💕
Now that you mention gamelan and intervals... gotta add this: In the late 70s I did cross-cultural psychoacoustic research in Bali on gamelan tuning preferences. This came out of an interest in why Balinese only felt the need to tune an ensembles instruments once every century or so, allowing octaves (and fifths) to drift over time to get closer to major 7ths or minor 9ths (in the case of octaves).

So I sampled a gamelan and did additive resynthesis, and produced some familiar gamelan tunes for the Balinese to hear. In one case, I added an overtone at the 1st harmonic of each tone. In the other case, I just resynthesizes the original sample. Playing these tunes for Balinese master musicians and the 3 instrument maker/tuners on the island, the added 1st harmonic did effectively influence their perceptual preference towards wanting perfect octaves vs how they normally let matters drift.

Note, I did this research before there was much electricity in the village I lived in or in the other places I met, and most of these musicians had little, if any, experience of Western music.

The bottom line was that the psychophysics of the situation was this. The materials out of which their sounds were made, the physics of struck metal bars, did not have energy in or around the 1st harmonic, which meant that the internal psychoacoustical response to those sounds did not "measure" what a note an octave above "should" be tuned at in the exacting ways that most of the sounds produced by Western strings and winds with their 1st harmonics demand in terms of consanance/dissonace. So the Balinese had relative psychophysical freedom to let their octaves drift over time to anywhere between a major 7th and a minor 9th and they were still happy to hear it. But when I inserted energy at the 1st harmonic, that changed things and the listeners became more pleased by in tunings being at the perfect octave.

Bottom line, it's not just cultural conditioning. Physics and perceptual systems interact inside the skull of the listener and have the impact of musical responsiveness (or not), even in matters as simple as tuning an instrument.

On still another note, it is said that Balinese have a "perfect time" sense (vs some Western musicians having perfect pitch). Which again the physical nature of the sound, and the sharp attacks of metal bars struck by hardwood mallets gives the perceptual system much greater exactitude about aligning the starts of notes. I'd see gamelan performances where there were lingering grand pauses in the fast paced music, two dozen performers seemingly dozing off, sleepy eyes shut (often it was 2 in the morning...), everyone waiting for a cue that was not visible, and, as if they all had a perfect time sense, they all strike at once the opening of the next phrase.

Now that you mention gamelan and intervals... gotta add this: In the late 70s I did cross-cultural psychoacoustic research in Bali on gamelan tuning preferences. This came out of an interest in why Balinese only felt the need to tune an ensembles instruments once every century or so, allowing octaves (and fifths) to drift over time to get closer to major 7ths or minor 9ths (in the case of octaves).

So I sampled a gamelan and did additive resynthesis, and produced some familiar gamelan tunes for the Balinese to hear. In one case, I added an overtone at the 1st harmonic of each tone. In the other case, I just resynthesizes the original sample. Playing these tunes for Balinese master musicians and the 3 instrument maker/tuners on the island, the added 1st harmonic did effectively influence their perceptual preference towards wanting perfect octaves vs how they normally let matters drift.

Note, I did this research before there was much electricity in the village I lived in or in the other places I met, and most of these musicians had little, if any, experience of Western music.

The bottom line was that the psychophysics of the situation was this. The materials out of which their sounds were made, the physics of struck metal bars, did not have energy in or around the 1st harmonic, which meant that the internal psychoacoustical response to those sounds did not "measure" what a note an octave above "should" be tuned at in the exacting ways that most of the sounds produced by Western strings and winds with their 1st harmonics demand in terms of consanance/dissonace. So the Balinese had relative psychophysical freedom to let their octaves drift over time to anywhere between a major 7th and a minor 9th and they were still happy to hear it. But when I inserted energy at the 1st harmonic, that changed things and the listeners became more pleased by in tunings being at the perfect octave.

Bottom line, it's not just cultural conditioning. Physics and perceptual systems interact inside the skull of the listener and have the impact of musical responsiveness (or not), even in matters as simple as tuning an instrument.

On still another note, it is said that Balinese have a "perfect time" sense (vs some Western musicians having perfect pitch). Which again the physical nature of the sound, and the sharp attacks of metal bars struck by hardwood mallets gives the perceptual system much greater exactitude about aligning the starts of notes. I'd see gamelan performances where there were lingering grand pauses in the fast paced music, two dozen performers seemingly dozing off, sleepy eyes shut (often it was 2 in the morning...), everyone waiting for a cue that was not visible, and, as if they all had a perfect time sense, they all strike at once the opening of the next phrase.
Fascinating! It reminds me of the book The Music Lesson where they have a metronome running and the guy walks out of the house and is able to shout the click after several minutes of being away...

Re acoustics: it's undeniable that acoustics have everything to do with pitch creation and tuning. I also argued in my thesis how the pentatonic is statistically one of the most likely outcomes if you start putting holes in tubes. However, associating any of those principles to the organisation of harmony is a stretch. Curiously, there was a period in our western music where 4ths were in fact more prevalent than 3rds. But eventually aesthetics ruled the 3rd more pleasing and down the road we went...

I don't like this piece, but it's really lovely. The execution is extraordinary, approaching the best realism that I've ever heard in a mockup. Aesthetically, the music isn't my bag, but unlike much of the music in this vernacular, this music has an honesty and sincerity that I usually find absent from most disciples of this credo. I love this the same way I love Bartok. I don't like Bartok, but the conviction and the mastery force me to listen. The same with Berg. Or another way of saying it is that it's a bit like Hemingway: I don't really like what he has to say, but I love the way he says it. Bravo! I always look forward to your compositions.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Sometimes taste differs (and that's fine), but I'm always admirative of the music you post, @re-peat.

Stellar job as usual! I also understand your choice of piano - at least for me it's sounds like some of those 50's contemporary piano records by Messiaen, Takemitsu, Xenakis etc.

Mmm the link does not appear to be valid anymore. May you embed the audio here or post a YouTube link, so that we don't have to download a file ?

Thank you !

Top Bottom