What's new

Philip Glass-y String Ostinatos

Here's how it might sound using 8Dio Richter I mean Deep Quintet
I hear some very obvious rhythmic inconsistencies, where some notes are longer than others. Is that just the way the MIDI was inputted or is it really how it is? In other words, if you simply program the midi right on the grid, do you still get the tempo inconstency?

I hear some very obvious rhythmic inconsistencies, where some notes are longer than others. Is that just the way the MIDI was inputted or is it really how it is? In other words, if you simply program the midi right on the grid, do you still get the tempo inconstency?
It's bang on the grid - not sure what the tempo issue is - though I can hear it.

Screenshot 2022-06-03 153614.png

As I mentioned I had a weird issue rendering, and had to bounce the tracks first.. maybe an issue with Sample Rates??

Or maybe I need to account for the legato delay, perhaps there is a difference between the instruments? The top MIDI is Violins, the bottom is Viola & Cello... sadly the 'manual' doesn't mention latency...

Here's the MIDI tracks this time aligning the up/down notes in both parts (the example posted seemed to have an alternating pattern), and I've removed all Velocity (all set to 100) and CC data.

3.png

The Plugins are all set to factory defaults, Legato patches.

I also dropped my Sample Rate to 44100, since that's what Troels was set at in his Demo video!

Attachments

• GlassLoop3b.mp3
    532.7 KB
Last edited:
As I mentioned I had a weird issue rendering, and had to bounce the tracks first.. maybe an issue with Sample Rates??

Or maybe I need to account for the legato delay, perhaps there is a difference between the instruments? The top MIDI is Violins, the bottom is Viola & Cello... sadly the 'manual' doesn't mention latency...
The inconsistencies sound more of a round robin legato timing issue (where as different round robins don't perfectly line up, could be the sample start is lined up all right, but just that doesn't make it sound 'in time' if the performance of one legato is just a wee bit slower or the accent is just a bit later)

I hope I'm wrong

The inconsistencies sound more of a round robin legato timing issue (where as different round robins don't perfectly line up, could be the sample start is lined up all right, but just that doesn't make it sound 'in time' if the performance of one legato is just a wee bit slower or the accent is just a bit later)

I hope I'm wrong
Yeah, this would be a bit of a deal breaker for a library that's all about repetitive patterns. Slower tempos sound better, though.

Too hot to wear headphones, too noisy to understand what I'm listening from the original and from my samplers, I tried a first draft with Synchron Elite Strings (absolutely basic preset mix). Shameless case of kid wanting to play with his new toys!

Paolo

Mini Glassiana

Too hot to wear headphones, too noisy to understand what I'm listening from the original and from my samplers, I tried a first draft with Synchron Elite Strings (absolutely basic preset mix). Shameless case of kid wanting to play with his new toys!

Paolo

Mini Glassiana
Sounds very nice, but I hear too much machine gun effect. imho. More RRs are needed for this type of performance.

I wonder how SWAM Solo Strings, or Sample Modeling Solo Strings would handle this type of playing. Since they are not traditional sample libraries.

Sounds very nice, but I hear too much machine gun effect. imho. More RRs are needed for this type of performance.

I wonder how SWAM Solo Strings, or Sample Modeling Solo Strings would handle this type of playing. Since they are not traditional sample libraries.
Please make a little demo. I’m curious too.

I've made the dynamics a bit more varied, and "remixed" it (on the Mac's internal speakers, with the lawnmowers at full volume…).

The RR of the Alberti bass-like accompaniment counts 9 repetitions, so the problem sits somewhere else.

Paolo

Top Bottom