What's new

Pacific Strings Freebie

In my AMD CPU, this patch consumes as much as 4 LASS patches. Yes it is a Kontakt issue, but maybe there was a workaround available to reduce this. If legato were added to this patch, it would basically consume an entire core.
Make sure you compare like to like, Pacific has by default 2 mics enabled, which means double the cpu load in kontakt. I compared Pacific to SCS violins and it showed a bit more then double the cpu and voices hit of Pacific. enabling a second mic in SCS matched the performance.

The sord violins especially at the lower dynamic levels are stunning. Really terrific.
Yes, I spent some time last night comparing to various other libraries I have, such as HZS and SSS. The delicacy at very, very low dynamics is incredible.

Funny enough, I don't really like the shorts. But the sustains could push me over the edge.

Although I haven't done any systematic testing, it's absolutely true (for me, on an Intel processor) that some Kontakt libraries are a lot more demanding on the CPU than some others, and not just because of more dynamic layers or other easily identifiable technical specs.

I'm not at all a Kontakt expert but I *think* it sometimes has to do with problematic developer-specific scripting behind the hood, maybe scripts that handle the instrument's behavior in a bloated way (compared to other Kontakt instruments) or even just for flashy GUI animations. In any case, CPU usage is an important aspect of libraries which I feel isn't discussed that often on this forum

Yes, I spent some time last night comparing to various other libraries I have, such as HZS and SSS. The delicacy at very, very low dynamics is incredible.

Funny enough, I don't really like the shorts. But the sustains could push me over the edge.
I like the celli shorts but found I had to dial back on the delay to make them more responsive. I mentioned this to Jasper. At full default, they sound like the attack portion is slightly ramped up to (almost like a very sharp incline x fade). But everyone has different preferences and ideas of what they think short strings should sound like. I prefer a lot of bow-on-string attacks for shorts.

Make sure you compare like to like, Pacific has by default 2 mics enabled, which means double the cpu load in kontakt. I compared Pacific to SCS violins and it showed a bit more then double the cpu and voices hit of Pacific. enabling a second mic in SCS matched the performance.
For me, one LASS patch consumes 0.4% CPU playing anything. One mic of SCS playing very quickly (with the "Legato (Fast)" patch) consumes 1.9% CPU (one mic) or 2.5% (2 mics), and Pacific sord sustain playing very quickly consumes 1.5% CPU (close mic only), or 2.8% (both mics). IIUC this is coherent with what you said... but just contemplate how many LASS patches we can fit in that! I have always considered SCS to be one of my least performant libraries, would hate to see people considering that normal.

For me, one LASS patch consumes 0.4% CPU playing anything. One mic of SCS playing very quickly (with the "Legato (Fast)" patch) consumes 1.9% CPU (one mic) or 2.5% (2 mics), and Pacific sord sustain playing very quickly consumes 1.5% CPU (close mic only), or 2.8% (both mics). IIUC this is coherent with what you said... but just contemplate how many LASS patches we can fit in that! I have always considered SCS to be one of my least performant libraries, would hate to see people considering that normal.
I don't own LASS so can't comment on that.

Well even SCS under kontakt is BY FAR better then anything that uses SF's own player... that thing's performance is worse then the Titanic's anchor:confused:

Last edited:
I'm kind of tired of people saying "not for purists" as a way of quashing criticism though. Like ok, we've all heard the tagline, let's talk substance now. It sounds fantastic, but the QC can be better, and that's something that can and should be discussed 🤷
guess you have a point but not sure if noise has anything to do with QC, for a library to have less noise i think it would need to be processed with FX then you may loose quality and realism, or body, then you may get a sterile sound or clinical sound,

guess you have a point but not sure if noise has anything to do with QC, for a library to have less noise i think it would need to be processed with FX then you may loose quality and realism, or body, then you may get a sterile sound or clinical sound,
To remove hiss, yes. To remove all the clicks and bangs and scrapes, not so much. And you can just get a second take

Just had a play with the demo patches and decided to take a swing at using them in the kind of music I write. They fit in really well with most other libraries I have and those short cello articulations can really hold down an ostinato! I'm hyped. I love Performance Samples libraries!

All high strings and the Cello Ostinato pinning it down are the demo patches.

-DJ

Last edited:
To remove hiss, yes. To remove all the clicks and bangs and scrapes, not so much. And you can just get a second take
Yes there is quite a bit of noise, its the same as Con Moto, when listening to the loop,

There are 9 Dynamic layers going on there, vibrato and seems like thrills going on to get that magic live sound and must say these strings sound out of this world,

My thoughts are that if you have this library it encourages mod wheel links esp when you need to play a quite line.

So linking volume with dynamic together, rolling off your note end, virtually eliminates the noise even at low volume.

when in your DAW you can CC link Velocity, Dyn, Volume ,mic volume, there is so much you can do to your mod wheel or what ever you use.

but there is no way in any string or brass, wind library where your not going to ride the mod wheel when, the demo sounds very nice and plays nice too and i think that's what its all about.

Pacific on the other hand ... ohh the sound, it just flows out of the box. I love the space. I love the dynamics. I love the elegant and lyrical squeakiness of the chairs on the ppppp layers, and I especially love the performances captured and am willing to forgive all manor of other technical sins for it.
Me too, with the sole exception being the 'sin' of having a noise that is very distinctive and keeps repeating so that it is noticable and annoying. But noise from the players in general I actually like; makes it sound more like a real recording. Cory recently did a video on adding player noise to clean samples to make them sound more authentic.

Top Bottom