What's new

Orchestral Tools TIME micro - BLANK PAGE Special added!

Practical question:
How do you route the Time Orchestra patches in your template? I mean to which (sub)stems?
I always stem like groups (strings high, strings low, brass high, etc). You can still do this if you load the specific instruments. I also have an "orch" stem for ensemble patches that I cannot seperate. Is this what you are asking?

I always stem like groups (strings high, strings low, brass high, etc). You can still do this if you load the specific instruments. I also have an "orch" stem for ensemble patches that I cannot seperate. Is this what you are asking?
Actually I meant just the patches under the "01. Time Orchestra" folder (and 02. Altered Time). I should have been more specific.

In general they are pads but still organic/orchestral in nature. I have never thought of "orch" stem as I don't have any other libraries with patches that combine different instrument groups.

Wondering what would be the best bet as to when to buy this. I see NI is having a sale again. People thought the former sale was a one time thing - and it appears it isn't.
So the sale now has Time MACRO, a year after it's out, for 50%. Also ARK 4 for 50% off - but when bundled together with another ark it's 63% off.
This makes me wonder whether in a year's time we'll see another OT/NI sale, offering Time Macro & Micro for 63% off, making it worthwhile to wait. But then again they might not, and now is the best price available.

Wondering what would be the best bet as to when to buy this. I see NI is having a sale again. People thought the former sale was a one time thing - and it appears it isn't.
So the sale now has Time MACRO, a year after it's out, for 50%. Also ARK 4 for 50% off - but when bundled together with another ark it's 63% off.
This makes me wonder whether in a year's time we'll see another OT/NI sale, offering Time Macro & Micro for 63% off, making it worthwhile to wait. But then again they might not, and now is the best price available.
It’s easy. If you don’t need it now, and you can wait a year to see if it’s lower, you certainly don’t need to rush to buy it.

First contact :

01 - OT - TMI - Dusting The Strings TM
02 - SA - WE - My Preset 01
03 - Heavyocity - Ascend Modern Grand - Ethereal Swirling
04 - SA - LABS - Moon Guitar - Trems
05 - Sonuscore - The Orchestra Complete - Strings Basic 8ths 01 - Lost In Thoughts

NB : Here is the second part of the piece, the first : https://vi-control.net/community/th...oncert-d-reimagined.85768/page-2#post-4441464

For me, Moon Guitar [Labs] of Spitfire Audio is very nice

Last edited:
Hi folks,

a few people have reached out because of crackling loops in the TM patches, so I thought I'd just post here what I replied via email :)

The TM patches use Kontakt's Time Machine algorithm.
They are intended to be used when you need to adjust the sample length and should only be used when you actually need that functionality.
One one the drawbacks of these patches is that Kontakt has a fair bit of Time Machine issues, including sometimes messing up the sound output. Unfortunately Kontakt does not allow crossfades when TM is used, which is what leads to those clicks and pops. You will find that the Single Articulation patches do not have clicking loops.

See https://helpdesk.orchestraltools.com/ug_time_machine_enabled_patches.html

We hope NI will solve these (and other) issues in due course, but until then we prefer to provide TM patches for situations where their functionality is needed and live with the clicking loops, as in most cases, you can simply use the regular Single Articulation patches - and it rarely makes sense to use the TM patches for looping articulations anyway.

best

Tobias
OT Support

thank you, Tobias.

is there a possibility to use Time Micro in your very own Sample Player?

Kind regards from Switzerland,

Raoul / Fever Phoenix

FWIW, here's a cue I posted on another thread a few days ago, entirely made with Time Micro.
This is no big orchestration, but I think it shows the product quite well.

This cue uses all available multi instruments + 3 patches and a fair amount of articulations (& keyswitches) for each instrument.
No EQ or any other FX were used, only a bit of EQ/limiting on the bus master.

This library is fantastic and with a bit of work, it can also cover more than it seems in the first place (for example, clockwork articulations can be used a marcato, etc).

Below the screenshot of the LPX session (notice the keyswitches on both ends of the scale).

Capture d’écran 2019-10-12 à 22.06.22.png

I'm very excited about this library. I'll share online if I have some spare time to tinker with it.

Well I know it's an old thread, but I said I'd tinker with it, and the sound of these particular patches captivated me so much I want to share it. Attached two versions, one with Valhalla Room added, other is no extra reverb. All sounds from Time Micro, tree-mic only.

cheers!

Attachments

• frostflake.mp3
    5.5 MB · Views: 356
  • frostflake-no-extra-reverb.mp3
    5.5 MB · Views: 151
Well I know it's an old thread, but I said I'd tinker with it, and the sound of these particular patches captivated me so much I want to share it. Attached two versions, one with Valhalla Room added, other is no extra reverb. All sounds from Time Micro, tree-mic only.

cheers!

I'm really quite enraptured by this.

Would love to hear more about how you orchestrated it, if you'd care to share more details

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for listening!

I think a lot of the feeling of it being detailed and "orchestrated" is credit to the library itself.

There's a combination of 3 things about OT Time Micro which magnify each other to make it feel really detailed and expressive. (a) using chamber or solo patches for thick chords instead of ensemble patches, because it sounds more like a natural divisi, (b) animated motion on sustains further helps to expose individual players even more. this combo is why "chrono chamber structures" is so appealing to me personally. And third the dirty little secret on top - (c) removing the close mic and using a tree-only sound. OT's typical tree sound is very precise to locate individual players in the stereo image and I personally felt the close mic on by default was hiding that. When I removed it, suddenly there was more depth and dimension on the thick chords being played on a chamber patch.

The "orchestration" is actually very simple. The first articulation I started with was the quartet color sustains SV. But eventually I wanted more full bass sound and more static feeling flautando-like color. So I discovered the high/low strings sul tasto that filled those needs. So I just copied all MIDI notes to all three parts, and then gradually pruned the MIDI away. places that needed more animated color, I layered or exposed the quartet patch. places that needed the static cold flautando feel, I exposed the sul tasto patches. For solid bass, I added the contra clarinet at the bottom. I used CC11 to control volume in some places to sculpt some dynamics if I didn't want the color to change, or if I was already stuck close to the quietest setting and wanted to sculpt it further down there.

I suppose the last part of my thought process was about voice leading. I didn't really have voice leading in mind when making the chords initially, but when it came to pruning and delegating the MIDI notes across the three strings patches, seeing some of the voice leading comes in handy. Then suddenly it really started to feel "orchestrated" because I found specific lines through the chords where the same coloration makes it feel like "connected voice line".

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for listening!

I think a lot of the feeling of it being detailed and "orchestrated" is credit to the library itself.

There's a combination of 3 things about OT Time Micro which magnify each other to make it feel really detailed and expressive. (a) using chamber or solo patches for thick chords instead of ensemble patches, because it sounds more like a natural divisi, (b) animated motion on sustains further helps to expose individual players even more. this combo is why "chrono chamber structures" is so appealing to me personally. And third the dirty little secret on top - (c) removing the close mic and using a tree-only sound. OT's typical tree sound is very precise to locate individual players in the stereo image and I personally felt the close mic on by default was hiding that. When I removed it, suddenly there was more depth and dimension on the thick chords being played on a chamber patch.

The "orchestration" is actually very simple. The first articulation I started with was the quartet color sustains SV. But eventually I wanted more full bass sound and more static feeling flautando-like color. So I discovered the high/low strings sul tasto that filled those needs. So I just copied all MIDI notes to all three parts, and then gradually pruned the MIDI away. places that needed more animated color, I layered or exposed the quartet patch. places that needed the static cold flautando feel, I exposed the sul tasto patches. For solid bass, I added the contra clarinet at the bottom. I used CC11 to control volume in some places to sculpt some dynamics if I didn't want the color to change, or if I was already stuck close to the quietest setting and wanted to sculpt it further down there.

I suppose the last part of my thought process was about voice leading. I didn't really have voice leading in mind when making the chords initially, but when it came to pruning and delegating the MIDI notes across the three strings patches, seeing some of the voice leading comes in handy. Then suddenly it really started to feel "orchestrated" because I found specific lines through the chords where the same coloration makes it feel like "connected voice line".

I agree with using tree mic only, that's how it's set up in my template too, and superb piece btw !

I'm very curious whether Time Micro adds much if one already has Time Macro. It looks like it's the same concept, some of the same articulations, but with different section sizes and a couple bells and whistles. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom