What's new

Open Stage Control (Tutorial) - An alternative to Lemur and TouchOSC

In the command prompt, try to force pip to reinstall using the following command:

sudo easy_install pip

and try the rtmidi command.
We will find a way to make it work ;)
Usually there is no problems (like my tutorial), but all systems are different.

Thanks for getting back to me. Managed to get one step forward (I think). RTmidi downloaded when I rant the command; however, the install process then generated a load of code stating 'the function or variable maybe unsafe. Consider using sprintf_s instead' followed by this explanation at end:

'Command "c:\users\david\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\python.exe -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='C:\\Users\\david\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-build-qdqk3eo2\\rtmidi\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-o48u1m33-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-qdqk3eo2\rtmidi\
You are using pip version 9.0.3, however version 18.0 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.'

Any ideas what I am doing wrong now?

Thanks for getting back to me. Managed to get one step forward (I think). RTmidi downloaded when I rant the command; however, the install process then generated a load of code stating 'the function or variable maybe unsafe. Consider using sprintf_s instead' followed by this explanation at end:

'Command "c:\users\david\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\python.exe -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='C:\\Users\\david\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-build-qdqk3eo2\\rtmidi\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-o48u1m33-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-qdqk3eo2\rtmidi\
You are using pip version 9.0.3, however version 18.0 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.'

Any ideas what I am doing wrong now?

Jesus, this is crazy how many errors you've got. Usually the installation goes well xD
Did you run the command prompt as administrator? (just to be sure)
I assume O-S-C doesn't work yet?

Please tell me if you see any "rtmidi" folders (or with rtmidi name) in

C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\Lib\site-packages

Jesus, this is crazy how many errors you've got. Usually the installation goes well xD
Did you run the command prompt as administrator? (just to be sure)
I assume O-S-C doesn't work yet?

Please tell me if you see any "rtmidi" folders (or with rtmidi name) in

C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\Lib\site-packages

I have a suspicion that a previous python installation left some files behind. Going to uninstall all versions, clean up files / registry etcc, then try again. Will let you know if I make any progress :)

I have a suspicion that a previous python installation left some files behind. Going to uninstall all versions, clean up files / registry etcc, then try again. Will let you know if I make any progress :)

Good idea! Looking forward to fix all the problems then you can enjoy the software!

Got it working! seems like clearing out the registry / uninstalling all versions of python did the job! glad I persisted as the software / display works great with Bitwig. Thanks for all your help. Will be back if I hit any more bumps.

Got it working! seems like clearing out the registry / uninstalling all versions of python did the job! glad I persisted as the software / display works great with Bitwig. Thanks for all your help. Will be back if I hit any more bumps.

Splendid! I'm pleased you finally have the software fully operational. Enjoy!

Hi there! I'm about to move to Cubase in few days. I will upload the UI for Ableton and the Remote Control script. I will also show off the Cubase template once I've done it (probably for next year).

Thanks for the awesome post... but the install steps gave me a headache (and I'm a Python/JS dev by trade!) I'll keep using TouchOSC for the foreseeable future :)

Thanks for the awesome post... but the install steps gave me a headache (and I'm a Python/JS dev by trade!) I'll keep using TouchOSC for the foreseeable future :)
Haha yes, I know that feel. It was tricky to make this tutorial and try out all the possibilities to be sure everything works fine at the end. But yeah, I fell in love for this python thing :D

I also want to say thanks for pointing this one out. I had been looking for something like this for a while, not a fan of lemur & alternatives.

I'm using it in my workflow with cubase and was actually very easy to get going with it.

Haha yes, I know that feel. It was tricky to make this tutorial and try out all the possibilities to be sure everything works fine at the end. But yeah, I fell in love for this python thing :D

I get that... but after 20 years of coding, I want to do some music not IT stuff so I'm happy to pay for something that has an installer built in :-p

I also want to say thanks for pointing this one out. I had been looking for something like this for a while, not a fan of lemur & alternatives.

I'm using it in my workflow with cubase and was actually very easy to get going with it.

Happy you are enjoying this little soft! Feel free to share your setup with it ;)

Best

Using Cubase, is it possible to make Open Stage Control react to your currently selected track. So for example, if I select my CSS Violins 1 in my template, it will automatically jump to a page dedicated to that instrument, with all its articulations and controls?

Using Cubase, is it possible to make Open Stage Control react to your currently selected track. So for example, if I select my CSS Violins 1 in my template, it will automatically jump to a page dedicated to that instrument, with all its articulations and controls?

I'm quite sure there is some state field for that. I'm still working on it to explore all the possibilities with Cubase. I will post once I've done something very smooth and well implanted.

@lucor I did try with a small @{widgetvalue} and CSS. It does detect if the value is 1 or 0 (so activated or not), and then display the block or not.
Just have to add articulations I want in each block (maybe one per section).

@lucor I did try with a small @{widgetvalue} and CSS. It does detect if the value is 1 or 0 (so activated or not), and then display the block or not.
Just have to add articulations I want in each block (maybe one per section).
Nice! I haven't dove into the software yet, but this may have been the last push I needed. Thanks! :)

Unfortunately I'm already running into problems. I got everything installed before, but in OSC itself I ran into the same problem as @Gaijin14 with the '--midi list' command not working. I had the 64bit version of Python installed, but I thought it may be because I didn't have 3.6.5 but 3.7.1 installed. So I uninstalled 3.7 and installed 3.6, but now whenever I try to install rtmidi I get this message. Any idea what's causing this?
Code:
C:\Users\DAW\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\Scripts>pip install rtmidi
Collecting rtmidi
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/80/a6/23e6fdbede1914bc1a12e3e5cdc97c3de7fccc1507126a0736dd741f0a81/rtmidi-2.3.4.tar.gz
Installing collected packages: rtmidi
  Running setup.py install for rtmidi ... error
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\users\daw\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\pip\compat\__init__.py", line 73, in console_to_str
    return s.decode(sys.__stdout__.encoding)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x94 in position 93: invalid start byte

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\users\daw\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\pip\basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "c:\users\daw\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\pip\commands\install.py", line 342, in run
    prefix=options.prefix_path,
  File "c:\users\daw\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 784, in install
    **kwargs
  File "c:\users\daw\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_install.py", line 878, in install
    spinner=spinner,
  File "c:\users\daw\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\pip\utils\__init__.py", line 676, in call_subprocess
    line = console_to_str(proc.stdout.readline())
  File "c:\users\daw\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages\pip\compat\__init__.py", line 75, in console_to_str
    return s.decode('utf_8')
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x94 in position 93: invalid start byte
You are using pip version 9.0.3, however version 18.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

Hummm, Have you tried to update pip? (I didn't mention that in my tutorial, but it seems it's the cause of the problem).

Ok, nice that worked! Now I'm back to the same problem though. Firstly I'm not sure I did the right thing regarding my IP address for the "send" section: I typed in 'ipconfig' into the command prompt, copied my IPv4 adress from there into the "Send" section of OSC and added :8000 at the end. Is that correct?
Now with the '--midi list' command in "Midi" I get this message after pressing start:
Code:
A JavaScript error occurred in the main process: Uncaught Exception: Error: spawn python ENOENT 
at exports._errnoException (util.js:1024:11) 
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:192:19) 
at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:374:16) 
at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:138:11) 
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:180:9)

Top Bottom