What's new

NFT virtual bands are now a thing

cqd

The Block chain video is really great man. Thanks. Totally get it. The implications for online security is an obvious thing to be fair.

The NFT video however, is basically saying exactly what my feelings are... Not for me at this point.
Wow, how polite am I. 😂
Yeah..that's what I've always thought..for the likes of security for software and the likes it could be good..
Dunno about money or pictures of monkeys though..

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Dunno about money or pictures of monkeys though..
If you're famous, of course it works.

I bet there are so many people here that would pay for a recording of John Williams Pissing into a jam jar, right? These same people would love a video (no doubt) but fuck it, a useless piece of digital code with a a fun image so they can show people on a lap top at a cheese and wine party? Best £200k you could spend. Why not. 😂

MartinH.

Yeah..that's what I've always thought..for the likes of security for software and the likes it could be good..

I've recently heard a programmer who works in the financial industry say this on a podcast:

"There is nothing NFTs can do, that a database can't do better... except crime"

cqd

AhgHtnP.jpg

marclawsonmusic

I was thinking a good application of NFTs (for musicians) could be commissioned works. You create a unique piece of music for X, and they have the NFT ensuring it's legit.

To jono's point, you probably have to be famous for anyone to give a damn, but it might be worth trying?

Cheezus

As it turns out, NFTs are not actually very useful at proving you own something, given how often they are used to sell stolen artwork.

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
To jono's point, you probably have to be famous for anyone to give a damn, but it might be worth trying?
I never want to be someone that dissuades people from trying things especially in this exciting new age we live in compare to 20 years ago. But I do have some feelings about this haha

So, ok, you're gonna make an NFT? Many NFTs? How much will they be? How much will it cost me to buy an NFT of your band/music? What does that give me other than some digital code saying I have an NFT? What do I get from paying this money (other than supporting an artist/band I want to support). I mean, usually, when I support an artist, I buy their music, go and watch them live, buy their merchandise. All of that gives me something. I am struggling to see the joy in having an NFT that I have to look at on a computer. Unless I invite my friends around with their laptops so we can all look at each other's NFTs together? 😂

I want someone to convince me that NFTs aren't complete bollocks. Unless you're rich and it helps fuel the engine. 😂

marclawsonmusic

So, ok, you're gonna make an NFT? Many NFTs? How much will they be? How much will it cost me to buy an NFT of your band/music?
My understanding is that people bid on it - like eBay. If you go to opensea.io, you can see some NFTs for sale.

The actual artifact can be anything digital - a game, video, audio, graphic, whatever. As an artist, I thought... hmmm - would someone pay for a custom performance of a song they like? For example, if you could get Elton John to perform a custom version of 'Rocket Man' just for you - and you had the certificate to prove he did that - well hey, that's kinda cool.

Beyond that, it seems to be a bit random. Oh, and it's all paid for in crypto... so if you made a shit ton of crypto 10 years ago, you might be keen to just throw that around on bullshit NFTs... but if not, yeah you have to buy in and yes it's expen$ive and probably mostly for rich folk.

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
My understanding is that people bid on it - like eBay. If you go to opensea.io, you can see some NFTs for sale.

The actual artifact can be anything digital - a game, video, audio, graphic, whatever. As an artist, I thought... hmmm - would someone pay for a custom performance of a song they like? For example, if you could get Elton John to perform a custom version of 'Rocket Man' just for you - and you had the certificate to prove he did that - well hey, that's kinda cool.

Beyond that, it seems to be a bit random. Oh, and it's all paid for in crypto... so if you made a shit ton of crypto 10 years ago, you might be keen to just throw that around on bullshit NFTs... but if not, yeah you have to buy in and yes it's expen$ive and probably mostly for rich folk.
Yeah man totally! But I was asking you. How much would you charge for an NFT? If I bought one, other than the NFT, my understanding is, I would be able to tell people I have an NFT of Lawson's amazing music, but what else? What exactly am I buying? AN NFT? And I guess, is that enough? Maybe it is.

If you do ever sell an NFT, I'd love to know about it. So curious about this mad craze. People thought it was insane to buy up Domain names in the 90's and look at where the buyers are now! :)

I guess the thing that really keeps bothering me is how so many NFT sellers say, "Buy a unique NFT"...

So many people buy cars. Same model. Same colour. Same Mod cons. Same Everything. Except... each one has a different serial number on the chassis. So each one is unique but the same, right? Sounds familiar. I have never been dragged out with excitement to look at the serial number of someone's car (obviously I have never lived). :laugh:

marclawsonmusic

So basically, an NFT is just a signature. An asset was 'minted' and certified - and, if you are the owner of that signature, it certifies YOU own that piece of art from THAT artist.

In the physical world, think of a Monet... if you have a certificate (from Sotheby's - a trusted source) that says YOU bought Monet (#11233456) at auction XYZ, it certifies your piece is legit... much more than the 'Fonet' someone bought on the streets of New York City. That's the idea.

Of course, the complexity in the digital world is that everything can be copied - at least right now. Over the long term, I think that digital assets will be tagged with a signature - so when assets change hands, there will be a way to track movement of that asset. That's what blockchain does very well (track transactions - and NFTs are just transactions on a blockchain).

But, beyond tracking a single asset (e.g. NFTs), I think there is long-term potential for blockchain to manage consumption... so if (when) digital assets are tracked, we may one day have a fully-transparent licensing system that tells you whenever your asset was 'streamed' or 'sold' or whatever. I think blockchain has great potential for music licensing... but that would be the first time consumption is fully transparent - so I doubt the music industry will be in favor of it.

Tim_Wells

Tim Wells
The Block chain video is really great man. Thanks. Totally get it. The implications for online security is an obvious thing to be fair.

The NFT video however, is basically saying exactly what my feelings are... Not for me at this point.
Wow, how polite am I. 😂
Yeah, the blockchain is promising technology. It's something to watch and learn about, if you're into that sort of thing. I think @marclawsonmusic comments above are very insightful. The blockchain could potentially be revolutionary for those of us who create digital content.

I also agree that NFTs are pretty much a [email protected] at this point. But I'll be watching to see how the concept progresses.

Top Bottom