What's new

News Arturia

Ok, I played for about 2 hours with Pigments last night and just threw different samples into the Sample Engine of the same preset and played with the different noises... that way I created 20 different pad-Sounds in minutes! What an awesome synth!:2thumbs:

Last edited:
I'm still trying to decide about Pigments, I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone here can answer. I own a few Arturia soft synths already.

I listened to every sound demo on Arturia's website, and some others, I can't help but feeling this is an EDM focused synth. Though there are some sound samples on their sound design page I liked, and a few of their add-on sound packs were darker, more atmospheric and cinematic in nature which was good to hear. Is anyone here using Pigments in a hybrid score setting? I'm not as interested in the EDM side of things.

On paper Pigments is everything I'm looking for, all those different sound engines in one package. I don't really own a synth like that.

Also I'm assuming the virtual analog engine in Pigments is the same as the one in their V collection?

Thanks for your insights.

Last edited:
Also I'm assuming the virtual analog engine in Pigments is the same as the one in their V collection?
I am not sure what you mean by “engine”? The core DSP that is used? There are some shared elements in Pigments, derived from their V collection instruments, the Matrix 12 filter, the Juno 6 chorus, and v3 has added the Jupiter 8 filter. So in a way your assumption is correct. Of course, it is NOT the case that Pigments can basically achieve the same results with its VA engine as all V instruments combined ;) - or put differently: Pigments is not the underlying engine of all V instruments.

As for your assessment that Pigments is largely geared towards EDM, I’d argue that is not at all my perception. Like with most other synths, there are of course a lot of EDM presets - it is an important market after all - but there are also true cinematic sound designers such as @Empty Vessel that have contributed presets.

And if you are more a “presets” user, and want to have an idea of some of the third party cinematic sound banks out there, @tomwolfe has just released a great new one. And Simon Stockhausen / Patchpool a short while ago. Maybe these contain some sounds you deem more usable for your goals?

The 500 presets in the Spectrum pack Arturia delivers with Pigments 3 are also very usable outside of the EDM realm imho.

Last edited:
@rsg22
I was on the fence with Pigments and I picked it up the other day.
I have to agree with @doctoremmet Pigments is a great synth and I also agree it’s not aimed or limited to EDM.
Another synth which I have & love is from U-he that would be an example of a synth that has more of an EDM focus would be Hive.
Of course any synth can be programmed to sound however you want, Pigments is a versatile modern synth and imo not aimed towards the EDM crowd specifically.

@rsg22 : "Pigments seems to be an EDM focused synth" was also my first reaction when I first looked into it BUT, as @doctoremmet mentions, it's much more than that. It features several synth technologies (engines) that cover the full gamut from older techs to the later ones like granular. And I expect it to continue to expand techniques and evolve with even newer technologies (GPU-assist anyone?). Sound creators like Simon and Tom mentioned above are really showing us what ethereal evolving textures Pigments can create, hence the name I guess :whistling:

Last edited:
I'm still trying to decide about Pigments, I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone here can answer. I own a few Arturia soft synths already.

I listened to every sound demo on Arturia's website, and some others, I can't help but feeling this is an EDM focused synth. Though there are some sound samples on their sound design page I liked, and a few of their add-on sound packs were darker, more atmospheric and cinematic in nature which was good to hear. Is anyone here using Pigments in a hybrid score setting? I'm not as interested in the EDM side of things.

On paper Pigments is everything I'm looking for, all those different sound engines in one package. I don't really own a synth like that.

Thanks for your insights.
I mainly use Pigments 3 to create cinematic and atmospheric pads and textures... and it’s so much easier than with any other synth I used so far. The sample engine really is perfect for that.

I really appreciate all the great feedback - you made this decision easy - purchased!

Addressing a few comments below...

I am not sure what you mean by “engine”? The core DSP that is used? There are some shared elements in Pigments, derived from their V collection instruments... [snip]

As for your assessment that Pigments is largely geared towards EDM, I’d argue that is not at all my perception... [snip]

And if you are more a “presets” user, and want to have an idea of some of the third party cinematic sound banks out there... [snip]
Apologies for the "engine" confusion - I'm using the terminology from Arturia's Pigments page - in that Pigments has four "sound engines" (Harmonic, Wavetable, Virtual Analog (<- the one I was referring to), Sample/Granular).

To clarify - it wasn't my assessment that Pigments was an EDM-focused synth, just that the marketing and most of the demos seemed to lean that way. My choice of wording perhaps wasn't the best.

I will check out some of those sound banks, thanks. I rely on presets to get an idea of what a synth can do but usually end up programming my own sounds.

Also thank you kgdrum, Tatiana Gordeeva, from_theashes for your feedback!

Top Bottom