What's new

[New Juno 106 emulation] Softube Model 84 - Matt Johnson video

A good pal of mine has an Odyssey and an Avatar. There’s something about hardware and the punch it has, and like Ned points out, the tangible aspects. I still have a bunch of hardware stuff. Great for inspiration.

However..... haha. I BET I would fail ANY blind test where they put a Matt Johnson calibre player behind a free AAS preset pack versus a random guy playing the latest and greatest Prophet 5 REV 4. Because face it... software these days just sounds incredibly good.

Off-topic #2. Did you notice Arturia is about to drop a new new thing tomorrow? Any guesses? I will go out on a limb and say: a Voyetra 8.
I did notice that as well, though since Cherry Audio release crazy priced synths I tend to get those over Arturia. Though of course, Arturia have a lot more modeled synths, but I find owning Analog Labs covers me well, as long as I'm not looking to create my own patches.

Analog Labs is great. And honestly? Cherry Audio’s value for money is unparalleled. Their stuff sounds at least as good as Arturia’s to me.

Plus: @Trancer just posted the answer to the Arturia mystery: Pigments 3 drops, with an extra third Utility Layer and 512 partial additive as the most important innovations.

Thank you for relaying the information 😊

Thank you also for the announcement of the new product from Softube 👍

Given the abundance of emulation and others of this legendary synth.

which of all these versions is most representative of the original?

The version from Softube on the 72 model leaves good impressions.

Hard to tell @Trancer. Softube stuff stays very true to the original. There’s the “new” Arturia one. There’s the Togu Audio Line one. Cherry Audio. My guess? Get the cheapest one and you’re golden.

But hey, I remember the days in the late eighties when everybody and his aunt were dumping their 106’s to buy a D20 or an M1. Stores would have three 106s standing against a wall. Sort of a “dustbin sale” type of deal back then, a mere one DCO budget synth for absolute beginners, not even analog. Hardly the revered status the stuff has nowadays ;)

Analog Labs is great. And honestly? Cherry Audio’s value for money is unparalleled. Their stuff sounds at least as good as Arturia’s to me.

Plus: @Trancer just posted the answer to the Arturia mystery: Pigments 3 drops, with an extra third Utility Layer and 512 partial additive as the most important innovations.
It's strange. I was very interested in the Cherry Audio stuff and demoed the DCO-106 and I discover that although I don't own a hardware nor a software 106 emulation to compare it to, I prefer the way u-he Diva sounds, in terms of higher frequencies and filter behaviour. I hear more richness and resolution in the sound.
I am very curious to try this Softube synth.

It's strange. I was very interested in the Cherry Audio stuff and demoed the DCO-106 and I discover that although I don't own a hardware nor a software 106 emulation to compare it to, I prefer the way u-he Diva sounds, in terms of higher frequencies and filter behaviour. I hear more richness and resolution in the sound.
It is very much a taste thing of course, although you won't hear me arguing that U-he makes some of the best sounding synths. Among my favourite synths ever are Bazille and Hive 2. DCO106 is "merely" an emulation of a one oscillator digital budget synthesizer that was Roland's attempt to compete against the likes of Sequential's Six Trak and let's be honest the -then- unbeatable DX7. Diva obviously packs way more punch to begin with in terms of sheer fire power / architecture, which absolutely is going to be audible ;)

If you like large overpowered American polysynths maybe give the Cherry Audio Eight Voice a spin too. Mark Barton was actively involved in the development of that one. Google him, he's an industry pioneer and legend. His modules for Voltage Modular are among the best sounding oscillators and filters I've ever come across. Hardware OR software.

Last edited:
Concerning Diva, does he also consume cpu as often stipulated?

How many cpu resource for example with a session in Live 11?

With an i7 configuration of almost three years and 32 gigabytes of ram, will I be limited quickly?

Diva's my absolute favorite synth but DCO-106 sounds as good as any other strictly Juno emulation to me (including TAL and Roland). To the extent that Diva sounds "better" it's because it can emulate more sophisticated hardware with true VCOs etc.

U He products are really excellent vst.

I have Hive first version and very good vst, I hesitate to upgrade.

Hive or Serum?

Now with the arrival of Pigments 3, that could change my choice.

Regarding the versions of the 106, indeed the cheapest should do the trick😊

Thank you again doctoremmet 👍

Now Mark.. that’s the way we need to go about this. You sort of politely hint stuff is sub-par all British as f***, I will barge in with my Dutch bluntness and say it’s crap and we both save money at the end of the day.

April - GAS kill!

Thank you for the info doctoremmet 👍

Indeed not expensive for a product from them.

A developer that I really love, they really do great products and a titanic job.

I have the Relayer from home and a pure marvel, I intend to take the Shade, a plugin just as magical as Relayer.

This Super 7 seems to be in line with the excellence of Uvi, well done to them and thank you for offering us such qualitative and exceptional products.

Indeed, really fantastic this plugin.

It just lacks a compressor made in Uvi 😊

Their Sparkverb is really a nice tool, but, it is a bit dated and there is quite a bit of competition, Arturia not to name it😊

Now Mark.. that’s the way we need to go about this. You sort of politely hint stuff is sub-par all British as f***, I will barge in with my Dutch bluntness and say it’s crap and we both save money at the end of the day.

April - GAS kill!
Nate has also done a video on it. It won't change my mind about it, but I do enjoy his walkthrough and demoing of libraries.

Softube did a nice job with their (Model 84) Juno 106 but I have the CA version and was not moved enough to want to pick it up at this point. I like the added features of the DCO-106 and it is close enough for me. I think the Model 84 has a punchier low end on it but none compare with the original hardware. The demo is for 20 days so I could change my mind but probably won't. I did pick up the UVI Super 7 yesterday. Why, you ask? I have no clue! Apparently, I needed to throw money out of the window. Seriously, it has some combinations that are interesting and useful but not enough ability to tweak much, so I guess I'm glad it was only $49. I am a fan of UVI, though.

DCO-106 sounds really good to me and I am very happy with it; however, Model 84 sounds even better... at least on my system and to my ears. It seems to have that extra something that really makes it feel alive and without any additional help. After watching Starsky Carr's video on YT I have to say that I agree. For all intents and purposes it IS a Juno 106 in the box. Very well done, Softube! I think Espen Kraft would be pleased. :grin:

Of course Cherry Audio's version is not to be sniffed at, especially considering the price.

We do live in incredible times in terms of what developers are able to put out these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom