What's new

Negative Track Delay Database / Spreadsheet

Yeah I remember there being two fields as well...one is per region and one is the entire track, it’s easy to get those 2 mixed up. And you might also have to change a setting or something in Logic to go from note values to ms.
Under track header (not region header, as correctly stated above) you want to go to the line that says "Delay" and enter your numeric delay time there.

Just was doing that this morning getting Jeager Brass to line up with my NSS.

So using Jeager as an example, enter -125 and it will align with the default settings in the player, if you adjust the default settings you will have to adjust the track delay by a parallel amount.
Hey thank you both, It isn't at all obvious that there is a place to click beside Delay in the Track header. It simply looks like there is a drop-down menu.

Wow, is there really a 200-300ms delay on notes sounding on some instruments/articulations?
That seems like an awfully long delay. I understand that quite a few instruments take a long time to speak at low dynamics, but I can't play properly with more than a 10ms lag on audio input, let alone 60 or 200. Is that including buffer lag as well?

Well, I never took care about neg. track delay until now. I try to play before the beat and I edit (a lot !!). But after trying it, I might get some benefit from it and save time. BUT, concerning Legato articulations I‘m still confused. Most of libs I use have different delays for the 1st note and the following legato transitions. Most of the time, the ladder is slower. So with a fix track delay, the 1st note is either too fast or the transitions are too slow. How do you handle this ? You still need a lot of editing these lines, or ?

Besides the fact, that different dynamic layers have different delays, where it becomes insane in a way.

Well, I never took care about neg. track delay until now. I try to play before the beat and I edit (a lot !!). But after trying it, I might get some benefit from it and save time. BUT, concerning Legato articulations I‘m still confused. Most of libs I use have different delays for the 1st note and the following legato transitions. Most of the time, the ladder is slower. So with a fix track delay, the 1st note is either too fast or the transitions are too slow. How do you handle this ? You still need a lot of editing these lines, or ?

Besides the fact, that different dynamic layers have different delays, where it becomes insane in a way.
Yes the first note always plays sooner since there's no legato transition being played. So you need to move it a bit later in time. I just quantize the whole thing then move the first note. If you use a library a lot (your main string library for example) you'll quickly learn the amount to move it.

As for different dynamic layers having different delays, after you play your line, make all the notes the same velocity in the piano roll. This doesn't affect the loudness of the notes (that's done by your mod wheel). Then they will all play the same transition. For example, for CSS, make everything 127 and the delay will be -100ms across the board.

Last edited:
For part where timing is critical (for example, drums, bass, pizzicatos) I often bounce down to audio and align manually to the grid. I have even bounced one note at a time.

For parts where the timing is not as crucial, I'll leave them in midi and use delay compensation.

Yes the first note always plays sooner since there's no legato transition being played. So you need to move it a bit later in time. I just quantize the whole thing then move the first note. If you use a library a lot (your main string library for example) you'll quickly learn the amount to move it.

As for different dynamic layers having different delays, after you play your line, make all the notes the same velocity in the piano roll. This doesn't affect the loudness of the notes (that's done by your mod wheel). Then they will all play the same transition. For example, for CSS, make everything 127 and the delay will be -100ms across the board.
I´m aware of this, but I´m not convinced TBH. You have a little less editing (maybe), but you loose the advantage of using different Legato transitions which is quite nice sometimes. AND, it´s only an advantage, if you use track per articulation which I do not like very much either. I´ll try to set the offset for the shorts and still edit my longs (or even better, play it right ;)

Hey everyone, if it doesn't work for you, that's cool. Not here to convince anyone. I'll keep updating this along with a group of volunteers (including a professor at Berklee). But I think I've said all that needs to be said here. Cheers everyone.
Hey David, I didn‘t want to offend anyone, sorry if I came across like this. I just try to figure out, what might be a good way for me, because in general it seems to be pretty interessting.

Hey everyone, if it doesn't work for you, that's cool. Not here to convince anyone. I'll keep updating this along with a group of volunteers (including a professor at Berklee). But I think I've said all that needs to be said here. Cheers everyone.
I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate the effort. What you're doing is helpful. Thank you for putting it together! Sincerely.

I think my negativity or skepticism comes from experiencing a variety of timing issues with sample libraries. You are trying make things better. So again, thank you!

How do you work with short notes when the offset is different for different velocity layers? Like in BBCSO for example, higher velocities have a longer delay than lower, for the shorts. Here you can’t really set a fixed velocity since you want the dynamic variation! Just curious! ☺️

Is there a way to download the spreadsheet I must be missing something
I am not sure if there is, but it seems to me that you wouldn't want to do that because your copy would cease to be updated. Just bookmark it on your browser.

Top Bottom