What's new

Music for YouTube/podcast - business details

Nick Batzdorf

Is there any difference between podcasts and anything else as far as [ASCAP in my case] is concerned? Do you just file a cue sheet?

I just wrote a short piece for a friend's show 50/50 on spec/a favor, and by default I own the writing and publishing. But I don't know what the story is with Internet music.

I'm not worried about being taken advantage of, but a) history is littered with sad stories about idiot musicians who didn't bother taking care of these details, and b) it's actually pretty good and I don't want anyone stealing it. :)

The rub is that I don't want her stuck having to deal with licensing before the show takes off, i.e. if that's an issue I probably won't do anything. On the other hand, you never know what's going to catch fire. This woman has had a successful career in various aspects of show business, and so I wouldn't call it amateur.

TIA

Well, 72 views and no one knows, so that means I'm not as ignorant as I feared. :)

Or I should say I'm not the only one.

This is something we all are going to need to know, 'cause I predict the Internet is going to be big.

Okay, so here's the simple answer from ASCAP:

If I own the publishing and writing, it belongs to me and I just need to write a letter giving her permission to use it. But I do need to register it.

...which, if anyone in ASCAP doesn't know, is as simple as logging into your account and filling in the online form. There's a checkbox for multimedia.

Top Bottom