What's new

MuseScore 4 will add a sequencer and VST support

That would be a game changer for MuseScore

Possibly. But the other issue in MuseScore is that the default engraving is really not up to snuff and it can actually be a lot of work to manually adjust things to try to correct it. 90%+ of the MuseScore scores I see are really engraved quite poorly. I know they are trying to improve that, but it is a big job.

maybe but its free and for a lot of people good enough. Decent sound playback would find its place for an awful lot of people. Not publishers who will continue using mainly finale for the rest of our lives apparently.

maybe but its free and for a lot of people good enough. Decent sound playback would find its place for an awful lot of people. Not publishers who will continue using mainly finale for the rest of our lives apparently.

Yeah, it is good enough, as long as you aren't actually writing music for real people to perform. I would be embarrassed to give MuseScore default output parts/score to performers, and the amount of work it would take to get them looking reasonable would make me seriously want to use something else.

as you should! I probably wouldn't use it for that task either unless/until they improve part extraction and other needed features for that sort of work.

I happen to think it is capable of producing gorgeous piano scores.

And it's free. Also would be a nice tool to use for simply composing with traditional notation, and nice sounds if they get the VST3/Noteperformer thing sorted out.

I've been following the development of MuseScore over the last several years. I think that short timetable is highly unlikely. I'm not saying it isn't possible, and I'm not saying they can't do it, but just very highly unlikely.

Following up on my post quoted above - there is new news out of the MuseScore camp.

There were too many problems in the core application for them to get to MuseScore 4 just yet. So now they are instead working on an intervening MuseScore 3.6 that will have engraving fixes and rewrite large chunks of the codebase, but no VST and no new sequencer mode etc.

The engraving improvements of MuseScore 3.6 are well worth it. MuseScore 3.5's default engraving is pretty horrible, I feel. So anything they can do to make engraving better, I would really support. However, I think most people in this thread are most excited about the sequencer and VST support, which are not in 3.6.

As a result of this major rewrite of the codebase in MuseScore 3.6, I suspect MuseScore 4 will be delayed, probably significantly. The sort of rewriting of their code base they are looking at doing for 3.6 is a *lot* of work even by itself. As stated in my quoted text above, I disagree with @EvilDragon's assertion that you could see it in a year. When you have an established code base that you have screwed up when writing the first time, it can be a huge issue to rewrite from scratch in a way that preserves the display of existing scores.

The reason I suspected these delays in MuseScore 4 is that the MuseScore code base was never written at all with the VST support or sequencer in mind, and a lot of core changes are necessary so that the application can work in that way.

In my view, where MuseScore is at right now is at a much different spot than Dorico. Dorico was built from the ground up with the built in sequencer support and VST support. In MuseScore, it wasn't, and they are having to look at how to redesign the core of the application so that they are better able to integrate those features.

I stand by my previous assertion - we are likely to only see MuseScore 4 in a usable form for VST playback in 3 or 4 years.

WHEN DO WE EXPECT MUSESCORE 4.0 TO BE RELEASED?

On current trend, we expect MuseScore 4.0 to take between 8-10 months to complete.
I think this is optimistic, but I'm hopeful it's accurate.

I think this is optimistic, but I'm hopeful it's accurate.

It is certainly optimistic. I also don't think it is accurate if you are expecting to get to MuseScore 4 with the promised features in that timeframe. They will probably release a "MuseScore 4" 8-10 months after MuseScore 3.6, but it will almost certainly be hugely incomplete compared to their promises. That is why I say "for a usable form for VST playback". Steinberg's Dorico team has been developing their VST playback for 4 years and it has only recently become barely usable. Maybe it is that the MuseScore developers happen to be several times more skilled than the Steinberg Dorico developers, but I doubt it.

There's a solid enough number of active developers on MuseScore that I am pretty sure they can make it within a year, and without screwing it up along the way too.

Do you know how to make a particular instrument play, only the 2nd time ( I mean when selected bars are repeated ) with the other instruments, but not the first time.

I gotta say am quite new to MuseScore. I am wondering if it’s possible at all.

Do you know how to make a particular instrument play, only the 2nd time ( I mean when selected bars are repeated ) with the other instruments, but not the first time.

I gotta say am quite new to MuseScore. I am wondering if it’s possible at all.
Probably best to ask on the Musescore forum.

Top Bottom