What's new

MSS: LEGATO ONLY Discussion/Contributions

I convinced her that I'm buying a ring...
Screenshot_20210225-072615_Chrome.jpg
That sure does look like "that ring".
I think I'm being drawn towards it...

emDi7jF.jpg

...OK so this is a quick lyrical example(mockup) I put together - with legato tweaks I made at the front & back ends of the GUI (so I won't go into details as AB are already working on leg. improvements)- but all I want to say is that this library is definitely capable of lyrical writing (with expressive legato as CSS)... so hopefully AB will nail it!
View attachment MSS-Batrawi-Test.mp3

Last edited:
...OK so this is a quick lyrical example I put together - with legato tweaks I made at the front & back ends of the GUI (so I won't go into details as AB are already working on leg. improvements)- but all I want to say is that this library is definitely capable of lyrical writing (with expressive legato as CSS)... so hopefully AB will nail it!
While I don't like the tone/timbre of MSS, this is quite an improvement. I presume that enough of the transitions were available in the backend to make this happen. Too bad VSL is so stubborn with Synchron Pro, a similar improvement could be achieved if you can move the startpoints of the transitions further back as you can see here.

...OK so this is a quick lyrical example I put together - with legato tweaks I made at the front & back ends of the GUI (so I won't go into details as AB are already working on leg. improvements)- but all I want to say is that this library is definitely capable of lyrical writing (with expressive legato as CSS)... so hopefully AB will nail it!
Now this is interesting ... very nice.

My eyebrows physically went upward on my head

While I don't like the tone/timbre of MSS, this is quite an improvement. I presume that enough of the transitions were available in the backend to make this happen. Too bad VSL is so stubborn with Synchron Pro, a similar improvement could be achieved if you can move the startpoints of the transitions further back as you can see here.
MSS is very playable, Batrawi demo is a great example of that, but why it has to sound this thin and sterile?! It just defeats the purpose to me, almost like Audio Modeling where you can do pretty much anything you want with the instrument but it sounds like 💩

take into consideration, the sound may particularly sound bad in this example as it seems that the mp3 quality I exported wasn't that good in the first place. I also only used the close mics here and I boosted the "brightness" knob.. these of course may not be the perfect mixing combination (they are careless in fact) and there is a lot to explore with the other mics & eq presets etc.. but that wasn't the purpose of this example

I think Audiobro should hire you as a beta tester. Thats a huge improvement

That sounds much better than the vast majority of what I've heard so far. Was anything done to the basic tone here (eq, reverb, effects, etc.) apart from what was done to the legato transitions?

Thanks for getting your hands dirty, @Batrawi. I only picked up MSS to use as some textural elements, so hyper up-front, lyrical legato isn't my focus for it. But this does sound a lot better.

I think even with their improvements, it still might be useful to know what you did!

Hold on...wait...she went for it?

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! A massive improvement.

In this example, modern scoring strings?

MSS is very playable, Batrawi demo is a great example of that, but why it has to sound this thin and sterile?! It just defeats the purpose to me, almost like Audio Modeling where you can do pretty much anything you want with the instrument but it sounds like 💩
I think it sounds thin because he is using only the close-mics, and no reverb. So, it's quite normal that strings with no acoustics are not going to sound rich, and thick.

I like what @Batrawi was able to get MSS legatos to do after his edits. Which gives me hope that the 1.1 Update will do something similar, or even better if AB provide the needed parameter controls to do this from the GUI.

I will re-evaluate MSS, and Legato Expansions after the 1.1 Update has been released.

@Batrawi,

Thanks for your legato edit demo. I hear a very noticeable legato improvement.

Have you shared your edit with AudioBro ? I think it will be a good idea that you do so if you have not, so they know about it, and what parameters you edited, while they are working on the 1.1 update.

I'm going to re-evaluate MSS, and Leg-Expansion once the 1.1 Update is out.

Congratulations ! you got MSS :thumbsup: and hope that the 1.1. update improves MSS Legatos, and other details considerably.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

what I did here is the PixelPoet-Trick BUT I also selected the sustain sample group... apparently offsetting the sample start for those as well allowed the legato-end to connect more smoothly with the sustain-beginning without the loud "clash effect" we heard in the @Soundbed experiment..(but still I feel there is a little blur in the transitions that i trust AB will iron out easily). In the GUI I've set the normal leg. spd to the slowest and kept global leg. spd at noon (don't ask me why but I felt the leg. sounded better this way)... Finally, this is also "just another experiment" and what might have worked well for this tempo might not work in another, so I don't recommend it as I'm sure AB will come out with a much sophisticated model which will allow all those tweaks with few clicks and with much cleaner transitions

Top Bottom