What's new

Modern Sounding - Hybrid Soundtracks are very popular these days

muziksculp

Hi,

I have been noticing that many of the new Soundtracks released sound more modern, hybrid, with a good amount of creative sound design in the orchestration. They are not the typical Pure Acoustic Orchestral Cinematic sound we seem to refer to frequently on this forum.

It seems to me that this is the new trend, I personally am a big fan of Hybrid scores, especially ones that integrate synths nicely into their orchestrations.

What are your thoughts about this new trend, and where it might be leading us, and do you think there is a bit too much emphasis on pure acoustic orchestration in this forum, and not much about the modern/hybrid sounding orchestra we hear these days.

What are your thoughts about this topic.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

A new trend?

Goldsmith was using synths with the orchestra more than 30 years ago. And noone has composed better "hybrid" scores since those days. :roflmao:

Yes, correct J. Goldsmith, and other composers did use Synths in their orchestrations, but I'm referring to the more modern sound that we hear these days, it's a bit more dissonant, and has more sound-design elements to the orchestration, in addition to synths, less of the cinematic big hollywood Brass sound, they don't really resemble the older Goldsmith era hybrid soundtrack character.

they don't really resemble the older Goldsmith era hybrid soundtrack character
Mainly in the compositional department... :roflmao:

Otherwise some of his pieces are quite synth-heavy.

Maybe you should post examples of what you are talking about, but "hybrid" means some good amount of orchestral (or non-electronic) stuff will be present.

Well, some of the scores might have more emphasis on sound-design/synth elements of their orchestration, with a bit of orchestral, it really depends, there is a lot of variety these days.

Jeez, this type of scoring.

There's nothing hybrid about it, it's just synths + sound-design.

It's not even music, it's a sound-design exercise.

Maybe not exactly the best examples, but there are some soundtracks with both elements, acoustic-orchestral mixed with Synth & Sound-Design. As I mentioned earlier, there is a huge variety these days.

I will try to post some more examples when I find the right one/s.

Sometimes even some of the orchestral sounds are distorted, to sound like sound-design/synth element in the score.

Hi,

I have been noticing that many of the new Soundtracks released sound more modern, hybrid, with a good amount of creative sound design in the orchestration. They are not the typical Pure Acoustic Orchestral Cinematic sound we seem to refer to frequently on this forum.

It seems to me that this is the new trend, I personally am a big fan of Hybrid scores, especially ones that integrate synths nicely into their orchestrations.

What are your thoughts about this new trend, and where it might be leading us, and do you think there is a bit too much emphasis on pure acoustic orchestration in this forum, and not much about the modern/hybrid sounding orchestra we hear these days.

What are your thoughts about this topic.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

I LOVE hybrid scores, BUT only the creative ones. Hybrid music is a double edged sword...It has literally unlimited potential to create new sounds and textures that are just impossible with the orchestra. A skilled sound designer can evoke an entire range of emotion with nothing but pure sound design manipulation.

The otherside of this however is, once someone has figured out a new cool thing, it is very easy, for even a new composer to replicate, and saturate the market with.

The thing that makes hybrid great is in the solving of the puzzle of creating a whole new texture or tone not heard before. So its easy to make a hybrid score that works by just following the trends that are working and have already been worked out by someone else its not so easy to create something new. But if you keep your eye on the innovators you get to hear the future a few months or years ahead of time.

-DJ

I LOVE hybrid scores, BUT only the creative ones. Hybrid music is a double edged sword...It has literally unlimited potential to create new sounds and textures that are just impossible with the orchestra. A skilled sound designer can evoke an entire range of emotion with nothing but pure sound design manipulation.

The otherside of this however is, once someone has figured out a new cool thing, it is very easy, for even a new composer to replicate, and saturate the market with.

The thing that makes hybrid great is in the solving of the puzzle of creating a whole new texture or tone not heard before. So its easy to make a hybrid score that works by just following the trends that are working and have already been worked out by someone else its not so easy to create something new. But if you keep your eye on the innovators you get to hear the future a few months or years ahead of time.

-DJ

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I totally agree with what you wrote.

Also a fan or creative scores that incorporate sound-design, synths, ..etc. to provide a unique, and memorable, or emotional impact to a film, or scene.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I love hybrid scores. Ben Frost's work on Dark is particularly inspirational and beautiful to me. I've been trying to create a similar sound that I can use as a singer-songwriter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom