What's new

Migrating samples to new external drive

wayne_rowley

Hi there,

Quick question about moving samples if I may. I currently have a Mac Mini 2018 with a 1TB external SSD for samples. It’s nearly full, so I’ve ordered a new 2TB external which I’m going to move them to, and use the 1TB for projects, music, photos etc. My planned migration process is:

1. Rename current external drive
2. Connect and format new drive, giving it the same name as my other external drive had before I renamed it
3. Copy sample library contents across

Samples are currently Kontakt or Spitfire.

Is that sufficient?

The path to the sample files should not have changed, so I’m hoping not to have to re-install or re-authenticate anything.

Thanks,
Wayne

I'm on mac, and went through the same process.
And from memory, it worked *fairly* well - but I also remember reconnecting a bunch of kontakt libraries. It was only 2 years ago, but I honestly have a blank about many of the details.
Its possible. It took time. Do let us know how you got on. I should have written it down myself......

I’m doing this tomorrow, also with a 2018 Mac mini. The transfer will be from a 1TB Samsung T5 to a 1TB Samsung T7, both formatted APFS. The libraries variously use Kontakt, SINE Player and Spitfire Player.

However, I won’t be carrying over the T5 drive name to the T7.

I’ll update when the dust has settled.

Last edited:
You might have to relocate them in Service center or Kontakt. I had to, but it wasn't anything painful. Just click, browse, done. (edit, I did rename my drives different though)
Just moved to a new Mac. Drives worked like a champ. Only issue I had were SA Labs, those things just threw a fit. Was easier just downloading them again. Weird, as HZ, BBC and Eric were no problem. Just relocate and done.

Last edited:
For anyone trying this, my method seemed to work perfectly. All libraries found after being moved to the new disk (which had the same name as the old disk).

For anyone trying this, my method seemed to work perfectly. All libraries found after being moved to the new disk (which had the same name as the old disk).

I’ll be moving files from a Samsung T5 to a T7 this evening. Given that the name of the T5 is “Black T5” and that the new drive is a blue T7, using the same name is not really an option :)

Top Bottom