What's new

Midi interface for hardware synths

If you don't need more than 4x4:

This thing will pat your head and rub your belly for you. I really don't want to fight @jononotbono, you look dangerous ;)
As long as our relationship stays personal and highly sexual how could there ever be a problem?

Are you on a Mac or PC? Their drivers are 10 years old
Are MOTU's latest drivers 10 years old? I can't recall Win 11 being 10 years old. Isn't MacOS 12 "Monterey"... as in THE LATEST OSX VERSION? Is that"old"? Man, I must be getting old. Can't keep up.

I can't recall MOTU not supporting even their unsupported stuff even when its not being supported anymore.

Usually I wouldn't bite, but I am getting annoyed with people just writing shit on the internet that isn't true. I thought I could quench my own self by previously writing, "It just works" (Which it does and is completely true) but I feel now I have to call you out on this.

10 years old? Are you fucking joking? MOTU love their products. They love the people that buy their products.

Forget it man. Don't buy MOTU. Awful company. Awful products. Everyone here that has recommended MOTU is a liar. Just buy a fold out midi keyboard that needs an air pump and connects (probably) with USB2.

Much love man
I 'sort of' agree, however, I bought my MOTU Midi Express XT about 7-8 years ago secondhand. It is a real PITA to program, it occasionally crashes at critical moments, and the software and manuals are completely hopeless, but in conjunction with Midi-OX I have used it for all my hardware instrument routings for the entire time. I keep thinking that I'm tired of it, but in-between 'reprogramming efforts' to change capability it has just worked fine. The iConnectivity systems look great but I need at least 8 channels; I would need the PlayAUDIO12 to meet my needs and it's $600 plus tax.

There doesn't really seem to be anything similar in MIDI routing capabilities...choices are:
- MIDI solutions (would require multiple modules and some daisy chaining
- MIDIMAN (I still have a 4-channel and several 2-channels that I retired for the MOTU)
- Anyone know anything about the https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc/ (MRC | Conductive Labs LLC)device? https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc/

I 'sort of' agree, however, I bought my MOTU Midi Express XT about 7-8 years ago secondhand. It is a real PITA to program, it occasionally crashes at critical moments, and the software and manuals are completely hopeless, but in conjunction with Midi-OX I have used it for all my hardware instrument routings for the entire time. I keep thinking that I'm tired of it, but in-between 'reprogramming efforts' to change capability it has just worked fine. The iConnectivity systems look great but I need at least 8 channels; I would need the PlayAUDIO12 to meet my needs and it's $600 plus tax.

There doesn't really seem to be anything similar in MIDI routing capabilities...choices are:
- MIDI solutions (would require multiple modules and some daisy chaining
- MIDIMAN (I still have a 4-channel and several 2-channels that I retired for the MOTU)
- Anyone know anything about the https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc/ (MRC | Conductive Labs LLC)device? https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc/
I've been super busy recently and will absolutely own up to my behaviour when i posted that. I was massively drunk. However, I don't disagree with anything I said in anyway. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so sarcastic but ya know, I'm English, and whilst being drunk... and reading things people post just not being true? Fair game I think. I hate misinformation when it can be solved with a mere few clicks/taps and read info on a website. Anyway, who cares...

The Motu boxes are solid. So solid I just don't know they are there. I used to use Motu conversion but moved on to UA (not saying Motu isn't great in this area - they are - I just wanted a simple front end and access to UAD plugins in realtime but that's another thing altogether).

If anyone has recommendations on Midi interfaces that will blow the skirt up and fully fly into the wind then I am so up for hearing about it! At the moment, I just don't know anything that is as solid as Motu midi box.

But what do I know. I'm fucking drunk. 😂

A word of caution regarding MOTU MIDI devices and SYSEX. Some MOTU MIDI devices don’t play nicely.

Any reason at all to buy a MIDI Express XT over the 128? Assuming I don't need SMPTE in from a SVHS player? Does the XT have any filtering or processing over the 128?

Top Bottom