What's new

Looking for a complete online Jazz piano course

I don't know whether you're talking about Levine's Jazz Piano Book or his Jazz Theory Book. If the latter, maybe check out David Berkman's Jazz Harmony and Berklee's Book of Jazz Harmony before making a decision.

Thanks for the reference to NewJazz. I wasn't aware of the channel and have now subscribed.

The theory book but like I said I am not touching this book now because it is very advanced. I don't think it's a good idea to read about Jazz harmony now. I just wanna learn the basics first :)

Quick note: the full diminished 7th doesn’t have a double-flatted 5th. It has the same diminished 5th as the m7b5 (or half-diminished chord), but the 7th is diminished (half a step lower than the minor 7th). So it’s generally just called a dim7 chord.

Quick note: the full diminished 7th doesn’t have a double-flatted 5th. It has the same diminished 5th as the m7b5 (or half-diminished chord), but the 7th is diminished (half a step lower than the minor 7th). So it’s generally just called a dim7 chord.

Yes sorry, I meant bb7. I saw it somewhere written 1 b3 b5 bb7 :)

Ok, I watched a couple of a beginner level videos and I didn't like them. I checked Udemy's ultimate beginners course and felt comfortable with it after checking their sample videos. I bought it for $20 (80% discount). Watched the entire theory section and I am satisfied with the course so far. It's a 7.5 hrs course and that's what I like about long courses is to make sure filling in all the gaps while practicing. In addition to that, I checked Newjazz YT channel and man, the guy (Oliver Prehn) is a bus driver and a professional jazz player.

I think I am good to go with these nice jazz resources:

- Udemy Course
- Kent Hewitt's amazing YT channel
- NewJazz YT channel

I already have Mark Levine's jazz book but I will use it at the right time when I become more advanced :)

EDIT: Just bought the complete jazz theory course too for $13. Sorry, the ultimate beginner course is for $14 not $20. 86% off
Curious to know how you've fared in your jazz exploration? I'm slowly venturing out as well and I have linked up Kent Hewitt's beginner playlist. How was the Udemy course for you? Any other course findings after?

Top Bottom