What's new

LogicPro + VEP and AU3

I can confirm AU3 has been working for me for months now - with a single machine setup. However, I am still on Mojave and Logic 10.5.1.

Might be worth trashing the VEP preferences since it was working previously. I hope you find a solution.

Thanks guys

That's exactly what I've just done - that was my process as per my last post no. 315

The AU3 version does not work at all - no midi going to VEP from Logic - and as far as I can tell (by pressing the keys on the VI itself) no audio being returned
An AU (vanilla) version works as expected.

I guess the AU3 plug in his part of the VEP install
That's why I was thinking of trying to re-install that

The fact that AU (vanilla) works in Logic - does that suggest the Logic side of things is OK ?

Thanks
Lee

There is some stuff I remember when the AU3 plugin first came out and people were complaining that it wasn't working or wasn't showing up, I can't remember now, you can read the earlier posts of this thread for those posts if you're interested, but here is something to try, from vague memory....

Go into the Plugin Manager and make sure the plugin is there and that the AU3 mode checkbox is unchecked like mine:

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 2.09.13 PM.jpg

Not intuitive to uncheck it, I know, but that is what works. I'm not sure what that checkbox does.

Seems like there was something else people were doing to get it working, but I honestly can't remember now. I had a slight blip with it when I first tried it too, but once I did whatever I did it has not stopped working since several LogicPro updates since then.

what version of LogicPro are you using by the way? And what version of VePro?

@LeeThompson, you can post an empty LogicPro project you are trying to use with this problem, this could be something about how you are trying to use it also.

Last edited:
Has anyone with a similar system managed to get it working ?

I am using Catailina and latest version of LogicPro. works fine. It has worked fine for a year or two across several versions of Mojave/Catalina and several versions of Logic Pro. There is a certain version of LogicPro you need, I think it was at least 10.4.5 if I recall correctly. And also a certain version of OSX was required (which you were fine on Catalina) and then VePro must be v7 also.

oh there is another thing @LeeThompson that I forgot to mention, LogicPro currently has a limitation that you can only have 127 multi-timbral tracks associated with a Multi-timbral instrument such as VePro.AU3. If you try to create a 128th track, then your project will literally explode, not kidding...

This is all mentioned on the LogicPro Forum where I posted those templates, you can read about that in detail there... its also mentioned earlier in this thread here.

Its still possible to use more than 8 ports, but only 127 actual source tracks that are pointing to 127 midi channels scattered across however many ports you want to use.

8 ports normally has 128 midi channels. So that's why VSL defaulted that to 8 I guess. And if you try to use the 128th track..it will still blow up...

but you could have 48 ports and scatter those 127 midi channels across any of it, but you cannot create more than 127 source multi-timbral tracks, or LogicPro will literally blow up.

Another work around is to use the old school environment method (I provided that template too), which basically uses the environment in a certain way to give you all 768 channels if you want.

There is some stuff I remember when the AU3 plugin first came out and people were complaining that it wasn't working or wasn't showing up, I can't remember now, you can read the earlier posts of this thread for those posts if you're interested, but here is something to try, from vague memory....

Go into the Plugin Manager and make sure the plugin is there and that the AU3 mode checkbox is unchecked like mine:

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 2.09.13 PM.jpg

Not intuitive to uncheck it, I know, but that is what works. I'm not sure what that checkbox does.

Seems like there was something else people were doing to get it working, but I honestly can't remember now. I had a slight blip with it when I first tried it too, but once I did whatever I did it has not stopped working since several LogicPro updates since then.

what version of LogicPro are you using by the way? And what version of VePro?

@LeeThompson, you can post an empty LogicPro project you are trying to use with this problem, this could be something about how you are trying to use it also.
OMG

IT'S THE AU3 CHECK BOX !!!!

Thank you so much - Lord knows how it got ticked - but deselecting has fixed it all

@Dewdman42
Thanks so much for all your comments
I'm on the latest Catalina / Logic / VEP

As a knock on from this fix I now have enough Ports
(I have noted your comments throughout the web re 127 channels - some of the ports will only have 4 midi tracks eg. SF ABO Woodwinds)

@Dewdman42
One final question if I may
I'm thinking of building in some 'space' in my VE template (for if I add in the future)

So say I use Ports 1-4 for Woods
then leave 5-8 fallow
Then 9-12 for Brass
then 13-16 empty
then 17- 21 for Strings
then 22-24 empty

Does having more Ports open in VEP Preferences ie 24 rather than 16
and
Do the empty ports eg 5-8 with nothing on them (at present)
Put more 'strain' on my Mac Mini ?
Or are they empty and hence irrelevant to workload ?

Thanks
Lee

no they won't cause any more strain.

Just be advised that if accidentally create more than 127 multi-timbral tracks to one instance of VePro, your project will become fubar, its possible to back it out, but not always straightforward.

What I recommend would be start with my 1270 template.. That has 127 tracks precreated to each of 10 VePro instances. 10 x 127 = 1270

You can go into any of those tracks and change the midi channel or midi port # to your heart's content. Just don't add any more tracks connected to this VePro plugin instances. They can point to any of port 1-48 and channels 1-16 though and will work fine and there is no performance loss from having unused ports and channels..they are just numbers...

Last edited:
The interesting question would be whether LogicPro 10.7.1 still blows up after 127 channels per VePro instance. Also would be interesting to know if AU3 to Vepro7 still does not support transport function.

I use a breath controller which sends a lot of MIDI data and I like to stack instruments (like Samplemodeling + Infinite Brass for a single trombone). When I use one instance of VEPro for more than two instruments (which means three MIDI channels and up) I get hanging notes all over the place. Three trombones in one VEPro instance? No way! Not a single bar without playback mistakes. No matter if it's AU or AU3 (thanks Dewd for the AU3 check box trick!). I can't even think about using 127 MIDI channels per instance. I'm back to one VEPro instance per instrument.

Last edited:
Sounds like there’s some great expertise here.
I’ve been waiting for BF to buy VEPro so I did. Unfortunately after installing I can no longer start Logic (or GarageBand or MainStage) it just hangs at the splash screen, removing vepro allows logic to start again. I’m sure this is simple user error (if it isn’t I’ll log a ticket with Vsl support)
I’m on an M1 MacBook if that makes a difference(it probably does)

Thanks 🙏

Sounds like there’s some great expertise here.
I’ve been waiting for BF to buy VEPro so I did. Unfortunately after installing I can no longer start Logic (or GarageBand or MainStage) it just hangs at the splash screen, removing vepro allows logic to start again. I’m sure this is simple user error (if it isn’t I’ll log a ticket with Vsl support)
I’m on an M1 MacBook if that makes a difference(it probably does)

Thanks 🙏
Sounds like VEP is not passing AU validation on your system.

Please forgive if I missed something, I tried to read the whole thread.

I am asking for confirmation:
Is it true that Midi Clock does not work with Kontakt if you use Vepro-AU3 in Logic?
I tried and indeed it does not work for me, while it works perfectly with the standard AU version.

IMHO this is unacceptable. Vepro-AU3 overcomes all the limitations related to the max number of channels, but in this way it becomes unusable whenever you need to sync to DAW (i.e. Ostinatos, Sforzandos, etc.). Ouch!

Yes that is true. It’s a bug either in logicpro or vepro7 we don’t really have a way to know which is responsible.

Ps - it’s not midi clock that is broken. It’s the host transport sync
transport? I am definitely not a MIDI expert, so I am not sure what's the meaning of "transport sync" issue. You can replicate the problem while the DAW is not in play mode. Just change the tempo in the DAW, manually play your Ostinato patch and the tempo change is ignored. This does not happen with the AU2 version.

Btw I understand this crazy bug is there since a long time. Unbelievable.

i'm just clarifying. "Midi Clock" is a term referring to a specific type of midi message that can be turned on sometimes to send a series of midi messages to a receiving device, so that the receiving device can lock to the same tempo. That is not involved here at all, that is more typically used with external devices.

Plugins are able to sync to the transport of their host normally... What I have observed is happening with VePro7 and AU3 is that as you adjust the tempo in your host, you will see that VePro is recognizing the tempo changes, etc.. but when you hit play on your host...VePro doesn't cause its hosted plugins play along with it, if they have transport type features in them.

AU2 works fine. I recommend you use AU3 for most things and for the specific plugin that you need transport sync to happen in the plugin, then use AU2 on a seperate VePro instance.

cheers

Top Bottom