What's new

Locking Sound to Picture? What's your method?

Which file format do you use to score to picture?

• QuickTime

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • AVI

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Video Capture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VHS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters
Hey hey,

I am proud to let you know my website at www.non-lethal-applications.com is now officially released.
There is a last public beta available for download.

The first official version of Video Slave will be for sale tonight.

Hope you all enjoy it!
Please feel free to get back to me in case you have feature requests, found issues or just have a question via [email protected]

Thanks to all the supporters!!

Best regards,

Flo

nice.

you should post in gearslutz.com . im sure the post production forum will love this.

I have worked a bit with Flo on the betas and VideoSlave is as Awesome/Powerful and yet simple as it sounds. It just works. You all should give it a try.

I am no longer going to host video in DP...but on a slave machine with Video slave and MTC output from DP over the network and into the slave.

I have also worked with Flo on the beta versions, and it was fun - he is very open to suggestions.

I use VideoSlave with MIDIoverLan on my MacBook synced to my main Mac DAW, and it just works!
Simple, efficient.

Highly recommended!

JJ

I spent a bit of time trying to test VideoSlave yesterday. I couldn't get it to scrub (is that the right word for shuttling in sync through the project?), or advance one frame at a time when using Nuendo as a master. I also found the "5 minute only" demo really annoying. It may be that the limitations I was finding was due to the fact that every time I tried to test something, the demo would time out. If the software was as cheap as Chaingang, for example, I would just have bought it, but it's not cheap, so I'm not spending any money until I know it works properly.

Please consider increasing the demo time, because when faffing around with this stuff 5 minutes is not even long enough to set things up.

Edit: I've got it all working, but find the picture rather jerky. I have also tested Streamers and the picture is much smoother. However, it seems that you can't shuttle around with any of these progress, which I assume is a limitation of using MTC. I still haven't found anything that works as well as using video through my Intensity card on the master machine. It's just a shame that the drivers are not great, which means that you can get spikes when working at low latency. :cry:

D

Hey Daryl,

thanks for your interest in Video Slave!
I will consider increasing the demo time. Haven't heard any complaints so far.

There is a limitation in the demo version that forces the application to quit when the 5 minutes are over WITHOUT asking the user if he wants to save the playlist currently opened. If you save the playlist before the program quits, Video Slave will open the last opened playlist automatically on startup ( unless the checkbox is not set in the Preferences). It also stores the MTC In port. So there should not be a lot to be reconfigured when VS has to be restarted.

You can scrub/shuttle with Video Slave of course but this uses MMC (MIDI Machine Control) and not MTC.
MTC is just sent in playback while MMC Locate messages are sent when scrubbing.
You have to set some checkboxes in Pro Tools and Logic to enable MMC being sent.
I don't have DP or Cubase/Nuendo on my machines, so I can't say how it works there.

You are not the first that is not aware of that. Thus I plan on making a little "tutorial" on how to enable MTC/MMC in all common DAWs to put on my website.
Should happen some time soon.

I have also not heard yet that the picture looks jerky.
Which kind of video file did you try?

Best,

Flo

Hey Daryl,

thanks for your interest in Video Slave!
I will consider increasing the demo time. Haven't heard any complaints so far.

There is a limitation in the demo version that forces the application to quit when the 5 minutes are over WITHOUT asking the user if he wants to save the playlist currently opened. If you save the playlist before the program quits, Video Slave will open the last opened playlist automatically on startup ( unless the checkbox is not set in the Preferences). It also stores the MTC In port. So there should not be a lot to be reconfigured when VS has to be restarted.

You can scrub/shuttle with Video Slave of course but this uses MMC (MIDI Machine Control) and not MTC.
MTC is just sent in playback while MMC Locate messages are sent when scrubbing.
You have to set some checkboxes in Pro Tools and Logic to enable MMC being sent.
I don't have DP or Cubase/Nuendo on my machines, so I can't say how it works there.

You are not the first that is not aware of that. Thus I plan on making a little "tutorial" on how to enable MTC/MMC in all common DAWs to put on my website.
Should happen some time soon.

I have also not heard yet that the picture looks jerky.
Which kind of video file did you try?

Best,

Flo
Flo, thanks for your reply (and on the Nuendo Forum). I haven't got round to testing MMC yet, so I'll do that next time I have dome down time. If and when I get it working I'll let you know how it's done in Nuendo, so you'll be able to pass that information on to other potential users.

I think we were using Apple Pro Res. What codec do you recommend? There is no doubt that it looked better both in Quicktime and Streamers, but maybe we weren't using the ideal codec.

D

Hey Daryl,

I didn't know that this was you over at the Nuendo forum, just accidently came across that post and thought there was another one completing about the short demo time ;)

In case you get it working in Nuendo, could you maybe make some screenshots I could use on my homepage?
Would be awesome!

Hmm, nothing I can tell you right now regarding the bad looking image.
Just tried some clips here and I couldn't see any difference.

But I have an idea what I could try.
Would you please PM me your email address so I can send you a version of VS to make sure this solves the issue for you?

Regarding the codec :
Accurate sync is just available with intra-frame only codecs like DV, Motion JPEG, Pro Res or DNx.
H.264 or MKV is not recommended because the minimum sync offset is dependent on the settings when encoding the movie file.

Best,

Flo

Daryl,

I simply import the video inside Cubase as a quicktime or avi. Its worked well so far but is there a performance advantage with using any sort of external software or hardware?

What does an Intensity card do that is better than just importing a video file?

Tanuj.

Daryl,

I simply import the video inside Cubase as a quicktime or avi. Its worked well so far but is there a performance advantage with using any sort of external software or hardware?

What does an Intensity card do that is better than just importing a video file?

Tanuj.
I started to use the Intensity card because using the onscreen window caused a performance hit when running video full screen on a 48" LCD TV. With the new video engine, processing is taken away from audio stuff, because AFAIK it all comes out of the same VST Performance allocation. Running on a separate machine will give 2 advantages:

1) There is virtually no CPU/ASIO hit at all, even when using a very high def or large picture.
") Quicktime is less of a piece of sh*t in OSX than Windows, so it means I ca have the best of both worlds; sequencer in Windows, which works much better than OSX, and Quicktime in OSX.

Once I get it working to my satisfaction, the next thing to do will be to test if there is a latency hit.

D

Daryl,

I do have an output going to a 46 inch LED on full screen but I havnt noticed any serious performance issues.

Are you saying that you are using a Mac just to run the video? How do you manage latency etc? Or there is none?

I will look into the intensity card as a possible hardware for my upcoming studio space.

Regards,

Tanuj.

Daryl,

I do have an output going to a 46 inch LED on full screen but I havnt noticed any serious performance issues.
I've been using it for quite a few years, so it may not be necessary now. I don't know for sure. I'm just used to it.

Are you saying that you are using a Mac just to run the video? How do you manage latency etc? Or there is none?

I will look into the intensity card as a possible hardware for my upcoming studio space.

Regards,

Tanuj.
I can't answer the questions until I have it working satisfactorily. However, if your system works well, there is no reason to change it, IMO.

D

I have tried to connect 2 mac computers via ethernet, a master and a slave with video. Logic on both computers.
I works fine but the "scrubbing" does not work. Is that possible?

The editor will usually ask me what format I prefer and upload it to a file sharing site. QT seems to be the standard, which works good for me. Then, I just take it and import it into DP, set the frame rate and start times, import the audio to a separate track, and begin work. I always lock my tracks and save each cue as a separate project, to keep everything flexible. The whole process usually takes less than 10 or 15 minutes.

Top Bottom