What's new

Linking Studio One + Notion - what is achievable?

SimonCharlesHanna

Does anyone have a good understanding of what you can do with Notion and Studio One?

My main question is whether or not you can sync, them to use at the same time on the same computer?

Experiences will be appreciated!

pinki

I do use both. They export and import to each other really well preserving layout and obviously the score detail but there is not a simultaneous live exchange.
I find it really useful and is one of the reasons I migrated to Studio One recently.
All instruments are preserved on export/import.

Also ios Notion...you can use the handwriting function on an iPad and then push that to Studio One...amazing.

OP
S

SimonCharlesHanna

I do use both. They export and import to each other really well preserving layout and obviously the score detail but there is not a simultaneous live exchange.
I find it really useful and is one of the reasons I migrated to Studio One recently.
All instruments are preserved on export/import.

Also ios Notion...you can use the handwriting function on an iPad and then push that to Studio One...amazing.
Wow - ill have to look into that. So is it only the iOS app that can push midi data to S1?

ReleaseCandidate

You got a button 'send to S1' in Notion, that sends the dáta of your current project to S1 and also creates all neccessary tracks if told so. You of course don't get the expression maps in S1, so you have to change everything or don't use expression maps in Notion.
For syncing you always have to press one of the sync buttons in each program (both has to be running).
I in the end used Notion as the only way to get MusicXML to S1, I really don't like Notion or that pseudo-synchronizing (make that export and import so I don't need to have both programs running the samé time or do real synchronization of the two apps). But Notion (the Windows version) still has way better handwriting recognition than StaffPad, although Notion is practically abondoned, Presonus only added features to interface with S1 the last years.

OP
S

SimonCharlesHanna

You got a button 'send to S1' in Notion, that sends the dáta of your current project to S1 and also creates all neccessary tracks if told so. You of course don't get the expression maps in S1, so you have to change everything or don't use expression maps in Notion.
For syncing you always have to press one of the sync buttons in each program (both has to be running).
I in the end used Notion as the only way to get MusicXML to S1, I really don't like Notion or that pseudo-synchronizing (make that export and import so I don't need to have both programs running the samé time or do real synchronization of the two apps). But Notion (the Windows version) still has way better handwriting recognition than StaffPad, although Notion is practically abondoned, Presonus only added features to interface with S1 the last years.
Abandoned? That's a shame.

ReleaseCandidate

Abandoned? That's a shame.
I don't get it either, it really could use some development effort, but it looks like Presonus' goal is to get S1's notation editor to where Notion is now first. But somehow I fear that they ditch Notion after that. But that are just my thoughts now, after the last years of 'development' of Notion. I hope I'm to pessimistic ;)

OP
S

SimonCharlesHanna

I don't get it either, it really could use some development effort, but it looks like Presonus' goal is to get S1's notation editor to where Notion is now first. But somehow I fear that they ditch Notion after that. But that are just my thoughts now, after the last years of 'development' of Notion. I hope I'm to pessimistic ;)
Maybe they are creating a super app?

pinki

Ive used Notion as my main notation software for several years and really like its workflow. Not sure Id say abandoned but slow development for sure. What Notion does well is the DAW style mixer and vst implementation. Now with S1 integration Im not sure where that leaves Notion as engraving is not its selling point.
S1 score editor does not have more than one voice per stave which is a huge step backward from Notion.

ReleaseCandidate

Oh yes, because I've just opened Notion: somewhere on the net you find old files to use EWQLSO with templates in Notion (like the included ones for the old VSL SE). They had been pulled out of Notion some time ago, but still work as before.

jonathanparham

This is why I investigating Studio One a while back. I liked the scoring and Panning layout. BUT it wasn't' smooth.

So @SimonCharlesHanna you need to be the guinea pig. Go Staffpad to XML to Studio one and let us know the results lol

ReleaseCandidate

Notion isn't abandoned, and EWQLSO template is still included

I had to download it to get the EWQLSO full orchestra template in the 'File'->'New From Template' list. If you still have it, you have it because of an older version that still had it that you updated (updates also didn't delete 'my' EW template from the program's template directory). If you freshly install the latest version (I don't know when they removed it), it's missing (or if you delete them in 'Notion 6/Support/Templates')
And yes, technically it isn't abandoned, but there hasn't been non-S1 related development (except bugfixes) in years - at least since 2013, when Presonus bought Notion.

Tigrouman

Hello.
You can get the EWQLSO on presonus site under Presets download Legacy EWQLSO.
Windows
1. Open the EWQL folder (found within this folder you have just downloaded)
2. Select all the .notion files and copy them
3. Go to C>Program Files>Notion 6>Support>PluginData>EWQL
4. Overwrite the files found there, by pasting
5. Restart Notion

Mac
1. Open the EWQL folder (found within this folder you have just downloaded)
2. Select all the .notion files and copy them
3. Go to Applications and right click on Notion. Then: Show Package Contents>Contents>Resources>PluginData>EWQL
4. Overwrite the files found there, by pasting
5. Restart Notion

That is it

Andy

chocobitz825

unpopular suggestion maybe, but if you're on the fence, try out the presonus sphere subscription for a year. You'll get studio one, notion and all the bells and whistles to really see if it works for you without breaking the bank for DAW and notation software costs.

pinki

And yes, technically it isn't abandoned, but there hasn't been non-S1 related development (except bugfixes) in years - at least since 2013, when Presonus bought Notion.
That’s not correct. Notion 5, Notion 6 were both released since Presonus bought Notion.

BTW Sphere is excellent.

ReleaseCandidate

That’s not correct. Notion 5, Notion 6 were both released since Presonus bought Notion.
That's true, 6 came out in 2016 and introduced the handwriting recognition
https://blog.presonus.com/index.php/notion-6-new-features/ which is still better than that of StaffPad.
5 had been the first after Presonus bought Notion
Don't know how I f*&#ed that up.
So in reality Presonus didn't add real features since 2016.

Top Bottom