What's new

Light and Sound Chamber Strings - user opinions?

An ensemble patch should be rather light on resources i think. It looks like the section samples didn't get merged into combined ensemble samples, but i could be wrong.

I started asking for additonal mix mics many months/years ago. I like the idea of having single mic patches for maximum flexibility and mixed mic patches done by an expert. The only downside would be doubled disc space for 7 additional mics, but much less resource usage on the upside. Now it seems there is something coming.

An ensemble patch should be rather light on resources i think. It looks like the section samples didn't get merged into combined ensemble samples, but i could be wrong.

I started asking for additonal mix mics many months/years ago. I like the idea of having single mic patches for maximum flexibility and mixed mic patches done by an expert. The only downside would be doubled disc space for 7 additional mics, but much less resource usage on the upside. Now it seems there is something coming.
Yes the original ensemble patch was not as "lite" as it could have been, multiple mics sends the voice count pretty high because of the way it was scripted (shorts were crossfaded between dynamic layers rather than solo samples with a filter or gain modifier) provides a better smoothness of the dynamics at the cost of extra voices, but the new system is far better so that won't be an issue for much longer.

Functionality re mic mixes will be that each instrument will be downloadable by default with all the mics we offer, and you can make whatever mixes you wish and delete any mics you want, so you could just end up with ONLY your own mixes and no default samples saving a lot of disk space.

This feature also allows me to make full use of all the mics we recorded if it feels right, a lot of mics are already "premixed" into the bleeds that we can't really give access to in kontakt because I'd hit the sample limit kontakt has (as I did in the piano), whereas now I can if people feel it would help, provide all the mics I recorded with. 32+ mics does feel like it would be a bit too much to download though...

What would be immediately helpful is if you were to suggests some "reference mixes". The above suggestion of XY + Bleed + 40-50% Close sounds interesting and is something I've not thought to try myself. Spitfire offered some helpful suggestions on, for instance a classical vs filmic mix with all the mics / mixes in AR, for instance.

Not that it isn't fun to play with the mics. It's just an embarrassment of riches at times.

What would be immediately helpful is if you were to suggests some "reference mixes". The above suggestion of XY + Bleed + 40-50% Close sounds interesting and is something I've not thought to try myself. Spitfire offered some helpful suggestions on, for instance a classical vs filmic mix with all the mics / mixes in AR, for instance.

Not that it isn't fun to play with the mics. It's just an embarrassment of riches at times.
Sounds like a good thing to add to the online manual or in a video... if I don't do it with the new release remind me and I'll get it done :)

So the only question remains, when des this update arrive? And is it a free update? :) (would understand it if you can't or don't yet want to answer)

Very nice. Looking forward to the update.

+1 for mic mixtures categorized by use case in the manual

Hi! I just purchased LS Chamber Strings, but i found a really annoying bug while i was playing with viola. Actually two bugs. First: I picked up 3 mics (D, S, C) but that C (i guess it means Close Mic) does not stay on. I pops off everytime i pause the song. Another thing are those Range sliders. I've made a custom patch and saved it, but everytime i download that patch, that slider is in the wrong place in Leg Longs articulation. I want to keep in the middle. Please help. That mic problem is a very very big issue. EDIT: Why Shorts, Pizzicato and Col Legno articulations are so quiet? I have to hit my keyboard with a hammer to get sound.

Not sure about your range slider issues, but for the close mic have you tried right clicking on the "C" and making sure no midi CC controllers are mapped to it? if so, remove them.

Not sure about your range slider issues, but for the close mic have you tried right clicking on the "C" and making sure no midi CC controllers are mapped to it? if so, remove them.
Yes, kind of like that. I had to delete the pre-assigned midi automation by "remove midi automation". Worked also on those range slider issues. So problem solved. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: EgM
Yes, kind of like that. I had to delete the pre-assigned midi automation by "remove midi automation". Worked also on those range slider issues. So problem solved. Thanks!

Glad I could help! :) Maybe the problem was caused by some device you're using to control midi?

These are still at 50% off. Was considering buying, will they remain at this price through BF this year?

It's really really good. Between this and BBCSO Pro I don't feel like I need any other string section libraries, apart from special things like Sunset Strings and OACE.

Wow thats a bummer, i have this library a good while but never really use it. It would be nice to see it optimised for current users and i am sure this could potentially create even more sales for the company.
What would you like to be changed? For me, the current workflow is great. I'd wish that they would add more articulations. But the library is definitely great for me in it's current state and I use it often. The strings in this track are all Light & Sound Chamber Strings:

Top Bottom