What's new

Light and Sound Chamber Strings - user opinions?

Given a choice, I would buy SCS first. But when factoring in their cost, LSCS is a very good place to start.

LSCS and CS2 -- as lower cost good performing libraries -- I think are underappreciated these days. I'd be quite happy just using these 2 libraries over the other stuff I have, if the others didn't exist.

As you know well, String Libs have been my tedious learning experience for some time.
At this point CS2 sits high on my list, but has been somewhat 'linked' to CSS and CSSS decision. I believe there would be a preferred price for CS2 & CSSS if CSS is purchased.

Last edited:
There is still something very sluggish about playing these instruments. I prefer a tighter feel because we already deal with our own system latency (mine is at 10 ms) but sampled instruments add another layer to that which just makes me pass over it yet again. Dryer rooms should really warrant a tighter feel in my opinion. I want to love it because of the raw nature of it but it's just not fun for me to play with. Does that make sense? I don't think this is an awful library because there is a lot to love but it's still just lacking that special something for me. I tried using the speed control to tighten the samples up a bit but just moving it a touch caused all sorts of artifacts to start crackling. I am re-visiting this on kontakt 5.8.1 so I don't know if this is an issue that wasn't present before but now it is or if it's just an issue. Either way, when I get the time, I will try to send Light and Sound a support ticket to give them some details about it since I'm using this in standalone on a pretty beefy system for just simple single patch playback.

"Tightness" is one of those things that rarely gets talked about around here and in reviews but is one of, if not THE, determining factor in how much I end up using a library after purchasing it. CSS, to their credit, are pretty upfront about the library not being "tight" - which is why I've held off on purchasing it despite all the glowing reviews. I'm actually pretty happy with LSCS in that regard.

@Light and Sound Paul have you fixed the rebowing issue on the second note in a legato line?
Heya, this is now fixed and public including various performance improvements, the ability to disable the speed slider via midi rather than just mouse (midi setting of 55 from the CC of your choice w will do it) - it can be found in the NKR available in our online manual here (and of course for all new purchases this is default so no need to update again).

Awesome, thank you Paul.

I've been in the studio for a good while now

Now if you told me that you had some surplus time there that you used to record additional articulations for the Chamber Strings I would be a very happy camper indeed.

@Light and Sound , is this library still being supported? There seems to be surge about the Chamber strings, then dies out, then back again...but before I buy, I wanted to know if there is any plans on further updating the library? Thank you..

@Light and Sound , is this library still being supported? There seems to be surge about the Chamber strings, then dies out, then back again...but before I buy, I wanted to know if there is any plans on further updating the library? Thank you..

Heya, there are still more plans for this library yes - I'm waiting for this whole Covid thing to end before I can get back in the studio of course (studio is closed down during this time). However updated recordings for the piano is a priority over chamber strings at this time, once that's done i'll be looking at more elsewhere!

Heya, there are still more plans for this library yes - I'm waiting for this whole Covid thing to end before I can get back in the studio of course (studio is closed down during this time). However updated recordings for the piano is a priority over chamber strings at this time, once that's done i'll be looking at more elsewhere!
@Light and Sound

Any chance you can throw us a bone? What are you guys up to? Will we see anything this year?
Your chamber strings are one of my workhorse and favorite libraries.

@Light and Sound

Any chance you can throw us a bone? What are you guys up to? Will we see anything this year?
Your chamber strings are one of my workhorse and favorite libraries.
Ireland is still in max level enforced lockdown (can't travel more than 5km, and the studio is about 325km away from me) and has been since last march so almost a full year now. I'm ready to record and have plans for a lot of content (have been for quite a while) but until restrictions ease up I unfortunately can't record anything.

I've used the time to work on some pretty fancy stuff, software wise, and am planning to release that with the updates once I get back in the studio.

Not a great time to be a business that needs travelling unfortunately, but it's in the best interest of everyones safety of course!

Ireland is still in max level enforced lockdown (can't travel more than 5km, and the studio is about 325km away from me) and has been since last march so almost a full year now. I'm ready to record and have plans for a lot of content (have been for quite a while) but until restrictions ease up I unfortunately can't record anything.

I've used the time to work on some pretty fancy stuff, software wise, and am planning to release that with the updates once I get back in the studio.

Not a great time to be a business that needs travelling unfortunately, but it's in the best interest of everyones safety of course!
Here's hoping we can open back up in April / May. Like you said, 5km doesn't get you far, especially if you live in the middle of the countryside :)

I reckon you could nearly class rerecording the concert grand as essential travel..

100% XY + 100% Bleed + 30-40% Close sounds absolutely incredible here. (I just got this and it is stunning, exactly what I hoped it would be for a particular piece I am working on. All good vibes to @Light and Sound for when he gets back to the studio.)
That's pretty much what I use for my chamber template, except I didn't turn the close mic down as much as you did.

For my orchestral template, I removed the XY mic and added the decca and sides....keeping the bleed and close. The bleed mic is very nice. I would use it for any type of arrangement.

What I would *love* for this library is a pre made mix or two a la Jake Jackson mixes in certain other libraries.

Is there vibrato control? I love the tone of this library so much, but would love to have a lesser vibrato.

Not really. There's a dynamic legato with extra romantic vibrato. But no non-vib articulation per se.

Reactions: AEF
What I would *love* for this library is a pre made mix or two a la Jake Jackson mixes in certain other libraries.
Is there vibrato control? I love the tone of this library so much, but would love to have a lesser vibrato.
Mic merging is coming with the software update, along with the ability to crossfade between articulations (which will allow you to crossfade into the molto vibrato at least) already working fine in the internal version. There's no recordings of non vib at this time though, but the standard vibrato is intentionally quite thin.

Mic merging is coming with the software update, along with the ability to crossfade between articulations (which will allow you to crossfade into the molto vibrato at least) already working fine in the internal version. There's no recordings of non vib at this time though, but the standard vibrato is intentionally quite thin.
Yay!!!

Top Bottom