What's new

LEAP motion controller update ?

MidPAW is great! Just one thing for me would make it better... and it's a small thing... To be able set a default state for MidiPaw. Say I have a favorite preset that I want to use most of the time, I would love to be able to just set it so it's loaded when MidiPaw starts. :)

MidPAW is great! Just one thing for me would make it better... and it's a small thing... To be able set a default state for MidiPaw. Say I have a favorite preset that I want to use most of the time, I would love to be able to just set it so it's loaded when MidiPaw starts. :)
Hi -- thanks for the kind words about MidiPaw :) It's *very slowly* starting to spread a little, yay!

I read your comment this morning when I was thinking about releasing 1.1.4 today, so I multitasked one of my less-interesting work Zoom meetings (shh!) and added a "Pin The Preset" button next to the preset name. When it's set, MidiPaw will remember the currently-loaded preset when you quit, and it will auto-load that one the next time you launch. Hope that's along the right lines!

I just released it - the app should tell you next time you run, or you can go to www.midipaw.com to grab it. This version adds some velocity (directional speed) motions, has some better velocity tracking stability and tuning, more granular control of when the rules rest, allows for the configuration of multiple working spaces for those that might move their leap around, and adds the option to auto-reverse selected rules when you switch to your other hand. Other minor UI tweaks too.

Of course please let me know if u hit any issues or have other feature ideas!

Cheers,
- Steve

Hi -- thanks for the kind words about MidiPaw :) It's *very slowly* starting to spread a little, yay!

I read your comment this morning when I was thinking about releasing 1.1.4 today, so I multitasked one of my less-interesting work Zoom meetings (shh!) and added a "Pin The Preset" button next to the preset name. When it's set, MidiPaw will remember the currently-loaded preset when you quit, and it will auto-load that one the next time you launch. Hope that's along the right lines!

I just released it - the app should tell you next time you run, or you can go to www.midipaw.com to grab it. This version adds some velocity (directional speed) motions, has some better velocity tracking stability and tuning, more granular control of when the rules rest, allows for the configuration of multiple working spaces for those that might move their leap around, and adds the option to auto-reverse selected rules when you switch to your other hand. Other minor UI tweaks too.

Cheers,
- Steve
Hi @sctaylorcan ,

Thank You Very Much for your continued improvements, and support of MidiPaw., and also replying to posts on VI-C.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

The continued work on midipaw really makes me want a leap controller, though it seems during lockdown demand has been high in the UK as they have pretty much disappeared from places like ebay

Cheers,
- Steve
Fantastic! That is just what I meant! :) A really really great product, beats GECO hands down.

Cheers,

Cheers,
- Steve
Oooops - 1.1.4 introduced a small regression with clamped movement ranges. Fixed in 1.1.5 which is out now and all shiny :) Apologies; software is hard sometimes! Cheers!

Well the good news is I have a Leap Motion controller now. The bad news is that the link to download the Leap SDK seems to be broken.

Hi @sctaylorcan do you or anyone else have the file (LeapDeveloperKit_4.1.0+52211_win.zip) they could share?

Well the good news is I have a Leap Motion controller now. The bad news is that the link to download the Leap SDK seems to be broken.

Hi @sctaylorcan do you or anyone else have the file (LeapDeveloperKit_4.1.0+52211_win.zip) they could share?
Ack, so close! lol! Did you follow the link from here https://www.midipaw.com/download/ for Leap, sign in, and it's broken on the Ultraleap site? (*edit* - it seems to be working for me)

Ack, so close! lol! Did you follow the link from here https://www.midipaw.com/download/ for Leap, sign in, and it's broken on the Ultraleap site? (*edit* - it seems to be working for me)
Yep I am following your install video. I have tried multiple browsers and privacy window. However just tried it on my phone and it works. Very strange, will just download it on that and then transfer it to the pc

Yep I am following your install video. I have tried multiple browsers and privacy window. However just tried it on my phone and it works. Very strange, will just download it on that and then transfer it to the pc
Gah - strange indeed. Perhaps a browser or firewall is treating it as suspect? Glad you found a way to drag 'er down! Now we just hope that you like MidiPaw :dancedance:

Last edited:
Gah - strange indeed. Perhaps a browser or firewall is treating it as suspect? Glad you found a way to drag 'er down! Now we just hope that you like MidiPaw :dancedance:
All working now to start the fun! This is such a great piece of software.

The only problem is going to be is I promised myself I would hold off getting Infinite Series and SWAM for a bit after buying lots of libraries. Of course now with this (I also have musikraken, but I mainly use that within iOS), and the TEC breath and bite controller, I am super keen to have those libraries.

All working now to start the fun! This is such a great piece of software.

The only problem is going to be is I promised myself I would hold off getting Infinite Series and SWAM for a bit after buying lots of libraries. Of course now with this (I also have musikraken, but I mainly use that within iOS), and the TEC breath and bite controller, I am super keen to have those libraries.
Oh, I'm in exactly the same library boat! I have AV's two libs and will buy IS when it is out, but REALLY want SW-Modelling Solo/Ens Strings too. Trying to resist, but I know I'll lose. I've already broken the news to my lovely and most understanding wife :)

Let me know if you have any issues or have great ideas for new stuff - u can email me directly via the addy on the site too. Cheers!

I got a leap motion and started using it with midipaw.
Great app!
It would be really helpful if you could also save (and load) a performance rule, including all its settings (range etc).
Because as it is now, you have to change the preset, copy the rule you want, return to the first preset, and copy it.

I got a leap motion and started using it with midipaw.
Great app!
It would be really helpful if you could also save (and load) a performance rule, including all its settings (range etc).
Because as it is now, you have to change the preset, copy the rule you want, return to the first preset, and copy it.

Hi, Dimitris -- Awesome, thanks for trying out MidiPaw!

That's an interesting suggestion about save/load individual rules, and I see the pain of the current method. What I've done so far is to keep a text document of the rules I know I'll like to re-use. When there's a rule I like I copy/paste in to the text doc, and when I want it, I copy/paste it from the text doc in to my new preset.

But I was thinking -- both my method and the load/save method would require one to know in advance that one might like to use that rule again (and so save it or copy/paste it in advance). What about the possibility of a button for "import rule" that would pop up a list of all of your presets, and you could drill in to the list of rule names on a preset and pick one to copy -- might that suit your need?

Cheers!
- Steve

Hi Steve.

Yes, this would be an even better feature i think.
And it covers all needs.
Someone could create a generic preset with the most used rules, to load them from there.

...aaaaaaand it took me about 2 hours after that post to buy the library. This is why one must never speak aloud of unowned libraries :D
HI Steve, did you buy swam 3.0 (audio modeling) or solo/ensemble from sample modeling?
I'm testing a real bowing gesture setting thanks to MidiPaw and swam 3.0 hires cc capabilites.
This is amazing and adds a creazy realism/expressivity!
Left hand bowing( right left) with pressure (up down) and position ponte/tasto (front back).
No need for breath controller anymore. Everything is controlled by the bow like the real thing.
Attacks, direction changes, expression, even tremolo.
It really needs some practice not to run out of bow, always move and being able to change direction at the right time in synchronization with right hand note.
The gesture is totally natural (for a left handed string player, ahaha) and the swam string sound I don't totally like out the box, is gaining lot of credibility there.
For vibrato and bends, which should be logically controlled by the right hand, I really would like to have a kind of Roli thing. $$$
Maybe I'll post a video when I am really used to this, there are still some synchronization brain farts.
Cheers.
Igor.

HI Steve, did you buy swam 3.0 (audio modeling) or solo/ensemble from sample modeling?
I'm testing a real bowing gesture setting thanks to MidiPaw and swam 3.0 hires cc capabilites.
This is amazing and adds a creazy realism/expressivity!
Left hand bowing( right left) with pressure (up down) and position ponte/tasto (front back).
No need for breath controller anymore. Everything is controlled by the bow like the real thing.
Attacks, direction changes, expression, even tremolo.
It really needs some practice not to run out of bow, always move and being able to change direction at the right time in synchronization with right hand note.
The gesture is totally natural (for a left handed string player, ahaha) and the swam string sound I don't totally like out the box, is gaining lot of credibility there.
For vibrato and bends, which should be logically controlled by the right hand, I really would like to have a kind of Roli thing. $$$
Maybe I'll post a video when I am really used to this, there are still some synchronization brain farts.
Cheers.
Igor.
Hi Igor -- Wow! That's amazing to hear!! I would *love* to see a video of a MidiPaw-only virtuoso performance if you make one!!

I did not buy SWAM (yet!). I came soooo close because I also want to play with the bowing, but ultimately put my most recent purchase on the Software Modeling ones (which also require practice to get playing just right) - really enjoying so far - especially the solo patches.

I looked at the SWAM docs and see you can use positional L-R motions as you are doing, but I also recently added a set of directional "Velocity" motions to MidiPaw that was meant to be used with the other bowing method (Bipolar, I think they call it?), though I never got to actually try it since I don't own the library lol! Did you try by chance? Those ones can be further tuned for responsiveness/stability in the leap tracking settings in MidiPaw. Might be that these are the way to not run out of bow. Or setting a very wide working space? Dang. So curious to try!!

Cheers!
- Steve

Top Bottom