What's new

Korg Triton VST

One of the companies selling presets (from the olden days) emailed to tell me they were porting over their presets from "Triton to Triton VST" ... but in 30-50 days. So I still might look into an editor ... but would be interested to see how they do with this.

That's a shame about no virtual Z1 coming. I actually still have my hardware Z1, as well as MS2000 and Radias racks, although they have been stored away until recently. I never got around to selling them because it didn't seem worth doing so given how much I may have gotten for them. So at the time I thought I should hold on to them for now and possibly sell later.

In retrospect, I am glad that I kept them. The Z1 and especially the MS2000 have a certain grit to them in comparison to slicker software alternatives that make them very attractive. Also, especially with the MS and the Radias, it's much more fun and intuitive working with them as opposed to virtual alternatives.

Yep, I agree 100% on Trinity vs. Triton sounds. Similarly with Yamaha CS6 vs. MOTIF. In both cases, the filters were significantly changed, and not as analog-sounding. Both companies rectified that years later with newer models. My recollection is that Peter Kirscher of Easy Sounds did the "good" filters, but didn't do the colder/harsher ones in Triton and MOTIF.

Last edited:
Can anyone of you who bought this give me a hint? I Bought it, installed it with the downloaded installer after choosing the location on one of my SSDs, but: it only downloaded a stand alone .dll with 49 MB, no sample content and never asked about the location of my VSTs??? No vsti found or listed by Cubase. I don´t find any installation hints in the net, only "use the installer and follow the instructions...;-( ...very disappointed at the moment, I was excited to play with it...
Hi
I spent ages trying to find the download. If you follow the instructions on their website you end up seeing a yellow bar going across as it downloads then.................. very annoying. I wrote to them and they told me to do what I had already done. Eventually I did a search of my drive C and found a zip file. I can't remember whether I searched with Triton or Korg. I copied it to another folder, unzipped and bingo! I have found lots of info on how to use it and I'm attaching files. I hope this helps. Regards

Attachments

• KC2_TRITON manual.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • korg_triton_rack_manual.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Triton voices.pdf
    290.1 KB · Views: 7
  • TRITON-midi.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 5
Yep, I agree 100% on Trinity vs. Triton sounds. Similarly with Yamaha CS6 vs. MOTIF. In both cases, the filters were significantly changed, and not as analog-sounding. Both companies rectified that years later with newer models. My recollection is that Peter Kirscher(?) of easy Sounds did the "good" filters, but didn't do the colder/harsher ones in Triton and MOTIF.

I have been noticing a shift in sound depth and richness between even the original Trinity (which I had a client purchase for his projects in 1997), and the next generation of Trinitys, the V3. None of my zillions floppies projects rendered the same way and I found it frustrating. There was something incredibly "alive" in the Trinity's sounds, imho.

Has anyone noticed that commands to the control knobs in Triton VST are backwards? Increase in numbers decreases effects - completely different from Roland and Yamaha. Is this a Korg programming error or is there a way around it please?

Also I DO wish that Korg would bring out a user manual and parameter manual for the VST instead of bodging keyboard and rack manuals.

For instance what should I send to switch between PROG and COMBI? I've found a few that don't work in the VST.

I don't think you can switch between Prog and Combi in the plugin. It doesn't seem to respond to sysex.

As for the control knobs (I assume you mean the 4 assignable knobs in top left), they seem to work just fine here. Loaded a combi, knob 4 is usually reverb amount. Works as you'd expect here.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Volume and expression work in reverse. Have a look at the attachment. It works fine with Roland and Yamaha. Pan works OK. I didn't assign reverb - I'll have a look.
Any ideas please?

Attachments

• expression1.jpg
    expression1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi
I'm not familiar with Reaper (although I do have it on my PC). I use a very old Yamaha programme XGworks which works OK with Roland and Yamaha gear. This is the MIDI list attached for one instrument - only expression (works inverted with Korg Triton - OK with Roland & Yamaha).

Attachments

• screen 1.jpg
    screen 1.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 4
I love the Triton VST for what it is. But it frustrates me that Korg has no software support that you can even suggest what ought to have been obvious oversights be fixed.

I am a long time owner of a TR88, and have played a Triton for years. The ARP on/off button is a key part of playing combis, and there's NO WAY TO MIDI MAP or automate the ARP on/off feature with the triton. You have to click it with the mouse.

There are about 10 items from a real triton that you can set midi CCs up for in the global page, and there are knobs that you can right click and midi learn on, but throughout the Korg Collection, with Triton, and the others, there are often frustrating oversights like this.

One thing I love about Bitwig that keeps me buying its maintenance plans is that I actually can email them at support at bitwig, and they even reply. Even if Korg had an email that collected feedback that they never answer, I'd feel like there's a human involved that cares about these products getting improved.

As is, they're good. But with a tiny bit of love, they could be GREAT. The triton is an almost. So close.

Top Bottom