What's new

Kontakt 6 Problems

Garry

I recently installed the new Kontakt 6 player, but noticed several problems since doing so:

- my QuickLoad library is empty when opened in a Kontakt 6 instance
- when I open a Kontakt 5 instance, I can see the quick load library, but get the error: "Your version of Kontakt is too old to load this file. Please update to the latest version"
- when I open any instrument in Kontakt 5 for the files menu (ie, not those that have an entry under the Libraries tab), I see 'DEMO' in big red letters

I think my easiest option is to uninstall the Kontakt 6 Player - I tried that, as described here (https://support.native-instruments....Software-and-Drivers-from-a-Mac-OS-X-Computer), but then I could no longer open any instruments, and get the error message "problem loading instrument", so had to reinstall the Kontakt 6 player.

Any ideas what to do?

Last edited:
So, I managed to solve some of the problems (uninstalled Kontakt 6 player and reinstalled Kontakt 5) and rebooting.

Bizarrely, the error message, "Your version of Kontakt is too old to load this file. Please update to the latest version" is seemingly limited to only 1 specific library (Albion One) - no idea why that specifically would be affected, but am reinstalling this too to see if that fixes it (huge pain though - 55Gb download for a start).

Cautionary experience for others: I only installed Kontakt 6 player because it was sat there in Native Access, and I thought I'd check it out and ignore if not useful. Unfortunately doing so has caused lots of hassle, and it had zero benefit (no noticeable changes to GUI in versions 5 and 6, and no additional functionality in the player version that I could see). I suggest avoiding until future libraries make version 6 a requirement.

Quickload is not carried over between major Kontakt versions. You will have to copy it manually to the K6 QL folder.

- when I open any instrument in Kontakt 5 for the files menu (ie, not those that have an entry under the Libraries tab), I see 'DEMO' in big red letters

Are you using Maschine/Komplete Kontrol? Because this is not supposed to happen if you have a full version of Kontakt 5 installed. There's an option in Maschine/Komplete Kontrol which says "Always use latest versions of NI plugins", which you should disable, so that K5 doesn't automatically get replaced with K6 when you instantiate it.

upload_2018-11-16_22-52-43-png.63793

AU version inheritance is the same in this regard, but I am not sure if you can disable it.

Are you using Maschine/Komplete Kontrol? Because this is not supposed to happen if you have a full version of Kontakt 5 installed. There's an option in Maschine/Komplete Kontrol which says "Always use latest versions of NI plugins", which you should disable, so that K5 doesn't automatically get replaced with K6 when you instantiate it.

upload_2018-11-16_22-52-43-png.63793

AU version inheritance is the same in this regard, but I am not sure if you can disable it.
Thanks ED - yes, I'm using Komplete Kontrol, and have the full version of Kontakt 5. Having uninstalled Kontakt 6 player, and reinstalled Kontakt 5 (full), and the reinstalled Albion One, it's working again - what a bizarre error!

I'm left with the residual problem that my default Kontakt instance is still Kontakt 6 (even though I uninstalled everything based on the NI instructions for removing instruments), so I have to specifically remember to use Kontakt 5. Not a huge problem, but it's a lingering reminder to avoid Kontakt 6!

Cautionary experience for others: I only installed Kontakt 6 player because it was sat there in Native Access, and I thought I'd check it out and ignore if not useful. Unfortunately doing so has caused lots of hassle, and it had zero benefit (no noticeable changes to GUI in versions 5 and 6, and no additional functionality in the player version that I could see). I suggest avoiding until future libraries make version 6 a requirement.

Thanks for posting this. I almost installed Kontact 6 Player the other day, thinking it couldn't hurt to have that option, but now I'm so glad I didn't!
(And thanks to ED for the helpful info for someday when I do need to install K6)

I manually copied my QuickLoad folder to the new version folder as described it and it worked.
https://support.native-instruments....ackup-of-your-Quick-Load-Catalog-in-KONTAKT-5
Old folder path:
For windows: C:\ Users > Username > AppData > Local > Native Instruments > Kontakt 5
For Mac: Application Support > Native Instruments > Kontakt 5
New Kontakt6 path:
C:\ Users > Username > AppData > Local > Native Instruments > Kontakt
I believe the AppData is a hidden folder by default you have to change the settings to make it visible if you are going to click through folders.

Hey guys ... installed Berlin Woodwinds. Could access them, reloaded Kontakt, and now instead of saying "Instruments" it simply says "Browse" and I can't see any of the instruments/patches. This is after I got a dialogue recommending that I do a Batch Resave ...

Is this a common issue? Any advice/help? Totally stumped!

You might have pointed to a wrong folder when Native Access asked you for the library path? Which is peculiar, because NA would look for .nicnt file in that folder, and if it didn't find one, it wouldn't proceed with installation...

You might have pointed to a wrong folder when Native Access asked you for the library path? Which is peculiar, because NA would look for .nicnt file in that folder, and if it didn't find one, it wouldn't proceed with installation...

I'm totally confused. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like, if that helps?

Attachments

• Berlin_issue.png
    Berlin_issue.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 20
Yeah, I know how it looks. Can you screenshot a few times the folder structure of BW folder (from the root of the folder up to a couple folders deep)?

Yeah, I know how it looks. Can you screenshot a few times the folder structure of BW folder (from the root of the folder up to a couple folders deep)?

Thank you so much for looking into this. Really appreciate the time you've already spent on it.

the .nicnt file is in the Samples folder ... does that look weird? Before I did the batch resave, I had no problems but now I do.

Also, to save space, I didn't copy over what looked like the revive samples, only the legacy ones (after I had extracted everything to an external hard drive)

Attachments

• Berlin_2.png
    Berlin_2.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Berlin_3.png
    Berlin_3.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 19
Yes, that's the mistake. .nicnt file needs to be in the root folder of the library. Just put it outside of Samples folder - it needs to be at the same folder level as where Instruments and Samples and Documentation folders are. Should work then.

Yes, that's the mistake. .nicnt file needs to be in the root folder of the library. Just put it outside of Samples folder - it needs to be at the same folder level as where Instruments and Samples and Documentation folders are. Should work then.

BOOM!!! 12 hours of stress, and I should have been asking Smaug for the answer all this time. Thank you so much!!!

Similar but different problem: Nevermind older quickload sets. Even new ones that I set in K6, although they work when loading the instruments etc, when I quit and restart K6 (6.2.2) even the newly set quickload libraries disappear!!! It doesn't hold them. Any ideas?
PS: I discovered a crude workaround by adding them as "self-made" libraries in the library manager so they appear as "black" libraries on the left library pane but the point is to have quickload remember them instead.

Similar but different problem: Nevermind older quickload sets. Even new ones that I set in K6, although they work when loading the instruments etc, when I quit and restart K6 (6.2.2) even the newly set quickload libraries disappear!!! It doesn't hold them. Any ideas?
PS: I discovered a crude workaround by adding them as "self-made" libraries in the library manager so they appear as "black" libraries on the left library pane but the point is to have quickload remember them instead.

I have this problem often too. Solution is to find the problematic patches in the QL folder in Finder, delete them (I think they’re just aliases iirc), open up K6 stand-alone, then add them again. They show up fine then. Not sure why, but something gets screwed up with those aliases.

Top Bottom