Kontakt 5 Sustain Pedal problem

Discussion in 'Newbie Questions' started by FabAlbatross, Jan 12, 2019.

1. FabAlbatross

FabAlbatross New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Hi all,

I'm encountering a very peculiar problem with my sustain pedal in Kontakt 5. Basically, it will not sustain with pianos. It will sustain in Logic X if I use any stock piano or synth but once I get into Kontakt 5 and open up my 8Dio 1928 Piano there is no sustain whatsoever. The strange thing is, the pedal noise triggers if there is one available for the library but not the actual sustain. What's even stranger is the inconsistency of the problem. When I use the Felt piano from Olafur Arnald's composer toolkit, there is no sustain, but if I pull up a random synth sample from the same library, it sustains with no problem, with seemingly the same settings. I'm quite new to VSTs but to my untrained eye all the settings are the same. It's driving me nuts though and I was hoping to get some help diagnosing this.

2. j_kranz

j_kranz Active Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Texas
    Maybe a pedal polarity issue? What MIDI keyboard are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    FabAlbatross

FabAlbatross New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    It's an Alesis V49. The pedal is a cheap one but it works fine when used with any stock piano.

4. j_kranz

j_kranz Active Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Texas
    If you record the cc data of the pedal, what value is it putting out?

5. OP
    OP
    FabAlbatross

FabAlbatross New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    127 for pedal down and 0 for pedal up, I believe that's what it should be.

6. j_kranz

j_kranz Active Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Texas
    Very odd... any difference in Kontakt standalone?

7. OP
    OP
    FabAlbatross

FabAlbatross New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    It's the same in Kontakt standalone, not sure what to do here...

8. j_kranz

j_kranz Active Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah very odd. Is the instrument in Kontakt set to channel 1? Maybe try Omni?

9. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Did the pedal come with the keyboard? There are different polarities on sustain pedals as indicated in this thread, are you sure you have the right type for your keyboard?
    https://vi-control.net/community/th...r-2018-using-akai-mpk-249.77865/#post-4325768

You could try it with a pedal to midi adapter as well. I use this with my expression pedals (4 on different CC’s plugged into a quad- the singles and quads work great)...
    https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I’m wondering if it’s the pedal (intermittently) or the keyboard messing things up.