What's new

James Horner

Yared's Troy was thrown out because test audiences thought it sounded too old fashioned, yet here comes Horner with his references to Britten, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and Vaughan Williams. :P

I think it's one of the reasons Horner is my favourite film composer.

Speaking of Horner's borrowings, does anything think it is possible Braveheart was temp-tracked with music from Kaoru Wada's score to the 3x3 Eyes anime from 1991? If it wasn't, then it's a startling coincidence:

Yared's Troy was thrown out because test audiences thought it sounded too old fashioned, yet here comes Horner with his references to Britten, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and Vaughan Williams. :P

I think it's one of the reasons Horner is my favourite film composer.

Speaking of Horner's borrowings, does anything think it is possible Braveheart was temp-tracked with music from Kaoru Wada's score to the 3x3 Eyes anime from 1991? If it wasn't, then it's a startling coincidence:

Britten's 'Sanctus' from his War Requiem was "referred" to just a little too much, hence the Britten Estate getting on to it. My jaw hit the floor when I first saw that scene (Helen's arrival at Troy), as the War Requiem is undoubtedly one of the greatest art works of the 20thC and a firm favourite of mine. As it turned out, I knew a musicologist involved in the case. I'd say that rip-off was probably the most blatant I've ever heard and was honestly, none too impressed.

Last edited:
I
Britten's 'Sanctus' from his War Requiem was "referred" to just a little too much, hence the Britten Estate getting on to it. My jaw hit the floor when I first saw that scene (Helen's arrival at Troy), as the War Requiem is undoubtedly one of the greatest art works of the 20thC and a firm favourite of mine. As it turned out, I knew a musicologist involved in the case. I'd say that rip-off was probably the most blatant I've ever heard and was honestly, none too impressed.
I can't remember the score so can't comment on how blatant the rip off was (will check tonight) but surely it can't be worse than the Prokofiev that I referenced above? Surely!

I
I can't remember the score so can't comment on how blatant the rip off was (will check tonight) but surely it can't be worse than the Prokofiev that I referenced above? Surely!
.....it was almost note for note blatant, scoring too, shockingly blatant in fact. I don't know the Prokofiev "inspired" cue, can you point me to it?

One of my all-time favourite film score composers. He was brilliant, able to capture such raw emotion in his music. Some of my favourite scores/cues of his are:

- Genesis Countdown (Star Trek 2)
- Creating Governing Dynamics (A Beautiful Mind)
- Theme from Cocoon
- The Ludlows (Legends of the Fall)
- Theme from Battle Beyond the Stars
- Willows theme (Elora Danan)

My only criticism is that he plagiarised himself massively! Still - a great composer.

Wayne

.....it was almost note for note blatant, scoring too, shockingly blatant in fact. I don't know the Prokofiev "inspired" cue, can you point me to it?
When it comes to Prokofiev Horner has made many, many references. For example, the October Revolution Cantata appears in Willow (Bavmorda's theme), and the main theme to Red Heat. Ivan the Terrible is the source of a main theme in Glory. The Scythian Suite and Alexander Nevsky appears in Battle Beyond the Stars. Romeo and Juliet was used in Star Trek III and The Land Before Time. I've counted no less than 20 classical music references in Willow alone. It's one of my favourite scores.

I've counted no less than 20 classical music references in Willow alone. It's one of my favourite scores.
Yeah... in terms of classical rip-offs Willow probably wins. If I had to pick one... It is my favourite Horner score.

I like the recording too. LSO brass just sounds angry and it's great.

I'll check it out!

Here's the Prokofiev:

I'll try to find the exact portion from Horner, but you'll probably not need that reference to recognise it. So blatant I had to laugh (I heard the Prokofiev many years after I heard the Horner lol)

To be completely honest I personally never found something by Horner which sounded distracting or frustrating to me.
I remember watching Aliens and out of the blue comes Wrath of Khan "danger motif", it took me completely out of the movie, thinking what the hell am I listening to right now? It was disctracting and frustrating. :grin: Not knowing TWoK, it would feel like a part of the movie, but, alas... :)

There are some great moments. But to be honest he stole too much for me. From other people and himself. It keeps him out of the top tier as far as I'm concerned. There is too much repetition and corny devices over used, to mention him in the same breath as Williams or Goldsmith. His death was tragic.

Best

ed

I remember watching Aliens and out of the blue comes Wrath of Khan "danger motif", it took me completely out of the movie, thinking what the hell am I listening to right now? It was disctracting and frustrating. :grin: Not knowing TWoK, it would feel like a part of the movie, but, alas... :)
Didn't he have only 2 weeks to do Aliens in ? I mean FFS, two weeks ! (and the whole thing was recorded in four days !)

Didn't he have only 2 weeks to do Aliens in ? I mean FFS, two weeks ! (and the whole thing was recorded in four days !)
Still took me out of the picture.
Nevím   *105*
:grin:

Remember also, that what you're hearing in the movie, is almost completely different from the music as written/recorded and certainly as intended, since it has been sliced and diced and sprinkled throughout the movie, often in places it wasn't written for. Only 2 cues were used reasonably untouched and in the location they were intended, out of around twenty.

Top Bottom