What's new

Is there reason buy WIndows 10 pro than Windows 10?

I thought the main reason to go pro was, you can choose, when to allow / postpone Windows updates. You don't get that option with non pro.
I believe this has been added into home and cut-down from Pro now. From memory, recent updates added the ability for home users to defer updates for a week at a time, and the ability to completely turn off updates was removed from Pro. I'm more of a casual user of 10 than a tinkerer, though.

The memory is the same in 10 I think (though I believe Windows Vista/8 had limits on home). Best thing to do is probably have a glance though https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-10-home-vs-pro and see if there's anything you'd need that's only in Pro.

As far as I know (but please dont nail me down on that) from our admin on work it gets important as soon as you are having a network and needing functionality for that, but I dont know how far you come with win 10 home with that. On work we have a server running with windows server and then win 10 pro seems to be the recommended for all the PC running in the network.

I don't know if there's any way to turn off updates in non-pro, so I have Pro on all my machines. They are not connected to the Internet.

I don't know if there's any way to turn off updates in non-pro, so I have Pro on all my machines. They are not connected to the Internet.
If they are all offline, Windows shouldn't even notice that there are any updates, right?

You won't be able to use Remote Desktop to connect to a non-pro system

Yes, that was one of the points, our admin makes remote maintenance, so that was one of the points dealing with the network thing

I'm pretty sure you can disable Updates in the Services menu, if... you can find the Services menu in Win10. Services is a stand-alone page in the Admin links in Control Panel on Win7. Being able to do this is important for me, because if I'm using a lot of samples in my DAW, I don't want the CPU running any Services in the background that I don't need. I don't need the Internet when composing or mixing, so any Services relating to Internet, Wi-Fi, etc., I disable.

There's a website somewhere that recommends what Services to disable when doing audio. Can't recall it now though.

A reboot of my computer will automatically re-enable anything I temporarily disabled.

Yes. Windows Updates are painful. I delay the functionality updates by 2 months. That way I make sure, that no harmful updates find their way onto my computer. Like last year, when an Update caused a huge loss of data on thousands of computers. Two months is usually enough time for MS to see that something goes wrong and withdraw the update.

But that doesn´t always help. Whenthey do bigger updates (like in may this year) it still happens that some of my DAW configs are gone (ASIO Driver choices...) or my eLicenser Center is broken. That´s annoying-but better than data loss :D

I can´t tell if the postpone-functionality exists on Win10 Home. I got Pro right away. Anyways: What I would always recommend is a good backup-strategy :)

Offline computers do not have to worry about unwanted Windows Updates, simple like that. For those online, v1903, has vastly improved the ability to defer updates, even for Home users (up to 35 days I think). None of this matters to me, but I do like access to the GPE that you get in Pro but not in Home.

Once my Surface Pro actually restarted for an update - in the middle of a live recording. So don't trust that Pro won't do that to you without asking, you have to actively tell it to wait for an ok, somewhere in the settings.

Offline computers do not have to worry about unwanted Windows Updates, simple like that. For those online, v1903, has vastly improved the ability to defer updates, even for Home users (up to 35 days I think).
Yes that's my understanding too - although I think that with Home you'd have to keep going in and pushing some sort of "Defer" button to keep fending off the update.

I believe that for the big "feature updates" they won't be so aggressive about installing themselves (and I think this includes Home too) but if you leave it so long that the version goes out of support (approx 18 month after the version you're using was released), it will then force a feature update.

I think that Pro still gives a bit more control, but it's less clear-cut than it was.

They usually give me pop up warnings about updates that if you don't click on delay, may restart your computer. But most of the time, I don't see them until I go to shut down and my only option is to update and shutdown or update and restart. If I haven't done a recent image and data backup, I leave the computer on and either start it running the backup or leave it running all night (turning off the monitor) and do it in the morning. I probably need to back up more regularly, but if there are no changes because all I did was check email or surf the web, there's not much to lose.

Edit: this is with pro and regular. I set regular to a metered connection which seems to stop automatic updates and pro to wait 2 months to update.

From recollection, Pro adds the following key features: Remote Desktop, domain support (i.e. can join), bitlocker, group policy management, remote desktop, and device guard.

On our enterprise systems (essentially Pro), device guard is definitely being used more and more, so I expect that to become a very important feature moving forward (malware etc.). I haven't seen it actively interfering on a pro system yet.

I'm using metered connection with W10 Pro (on my two machines) to avoid any wild downloads.
I'm also using the built-in remote desktop to do some maintenance to my laptop (connected to a touchscreen.)

I always use Pro. You can control Group Policies and turn off the annoyware, the surveillance, etc. You get backup, you can move the OS to a new computer, and more.

Top Bottom