What's new

Is eDNA Earth dramatically better than eDNA in Ablion One ?

ManicMiner

in the Skylab landing bay
eDNA Earth is tempting me, but I do have eDNA in A1 and there's a lot in there to explore yet...

Can anyone who owns eDNA Earth give me their opinion?

What I am really looking for is Soundscape, Ambient stuff primarily.
Basically, in terms of content I am wondering if Earth is worth it...
(Saw the online demo stuff, but not quite enough Ambient stuff to get me to pull the trigger. I feel close to being convinced but not there yet... )

Last edited:
Bump... Just wanting to know if Earth is significant content in the area of Ambient, Soundscape sounds, well above eDNA A1.

I have Albion Legacy, Loegria and Tundra and have purchased eDNA Earth as a kind of expansion of the Stephenson Steam Band concept as I like it very much. I don't own Albion One, but according to the playthrough videos, there seems to be much more content in its Stephenson section comparing to the other Albion titles, including Tundra. Also, the engine itself is more powerful overall, but lately I've been experimenting quite a bit with the sound-shaping options available in Legacy and Loegria, and was very surprised to learn how many new interesting snapshots it is possible to create from the included Stephenson materials.

As for the eDNA Earth, I'm extremely pleased with the Pads, Keys, Plucks and Synthetic Orchestra sections. There is really a lot of great things here out-of-the-box, perfect for ambient, cinematic and similar styles and in conjunction with eDNA engine you can create many more yourself. The Kinematic addon pack is perhaps the best proof to this. However, I must also say that I'm rather disappointed with the Lead and Bass sections of the library; these are IMO full of overly aggressive sounds that seem to be more geared toward EDM even though they've been created from the organic orchestral material as well.

I have both. There’s a spitfire video with a complete patch walkthrough for Earth which would answer your question in the best way I think.
thanks, I did watch Paul's walkthrough video and other videos on Youtube about it, but actually not much is covered in terms of patches in the Pads and synthetic orchestra series.
I am looking for ambient sound beds and stuff to go under narration, not so much the grungy distorted cinematic , plucks, or gritty edm.

thanks, I did watch Paul's walkthrough video and other videos on Youtube about it, but actually not much is covered in terms of patches in the Pads and synthetic orchestra series.
I am looking for ambient sound beds and stuff to go under narration, not so much the grungy distorted cinematic , plucks, or gritty edm.
If you go to the Spitfire playlists on YouTube..
...and open the "playthroughs" playlist, you'll find what you want there, providing you've got 3 hours to kill. Beat in mind the patches have been organised into more traditional categories in an update since the video was shot, but the patches are the same.

Last edited:
FWIW, I found that I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of sounds after purchasing eDNA Earth.....I felt Paul’s walk-through didn’t do it justice as far as that goes. And totally agree that the Kinematik expansion from Matt Bowdler is a must-have addition.

...and open the "playthroughs" playlist, you'll find what you want there, providing you've got 3 hours to kill. Beat in mind the patches have been organised into more traditional categories in an update since the video was shot, but the patches are the same.
I saw the old videos but passed over them since I thought Earth had been totally revamped and the videos wouldn't reflect the content. Also, now after looking at those videos, in these older videos theres not much coverage of pads and the synthetic orchestra, so I'm still left wanting to hear more.
I see a lot of mangled, distorted, edgy stuff, but... I am sure there's some nice ambience in there but I'd just like to hear more of it!

I saw the old videos but passed over them since I thought Earth had been totally revamped and the videos wouldn't reflect the content. Also, now after looking at those videos, in these older videos theres not much coverage of pads and the synthetic orchestra, so I'm still left wanting to hear more.
I see a lot of mangled, distorted, edgy stuff, but... I am sure there's some nice ambience in there but I'd just like to hear more of it!
The sounds are in the videos, they're just not listed as "pads" and "synthetic orchestra" it that makes sense? In the update, the sounds were all shuffled into new categories. Try the "Sound Swamp" cartridge.

I wasn’t too thrilled by the videos either. I also have Albion 1 and One and have been through all the patches, but none seem useable to me.

Part of the issue is the sounds don’t really work well against dialog (post is most of my work), the other is the interface, though there really isn’t much you can do with Kontakt from a synth point of view.

For pads have you checked out Lunaris by Luftrum? Much more useful stuff in there and it’s also in Kontakt. TBH I usually end up back in Omnisphere 2 for what you’re looking for. Between the factory patches (I think it’s now 13k) and The Unfinished patches for it (ironically also Matt Bowler) AND it’s interface, full synthasis, killer arp and fx, great sounding oscillators and samples (including being able to import your own)... I’ve gotten many more great results than with anything else, well worth the $400 cost.

Yet Albion 1 and One sit on an SSD barely touched in 2 years (to be fair I just have much better orchestral stuff elsewhere). I would save your money for O2.

For pads have you checked out Lunaris by Luftrum? Much more useful stuff in there and it’s also in Kontakt.
thanks for the Lunaris lead, I checked it out. That has a more retro-synthy feel to it I think. Whats attracting me to Earth is the promise of Orchestral sounding synth presets. I'm looking for an ethereal but sometimes majestic kind of sound.
I wish I had the spare cash hanging around to plunge for O2, maybe in the future...

Yep, Sound Swamp is the kind of thing I am looking for...
that ships with Earth right, you don't have to buy it as an addon like you would have to with Kinematik?
Yep, it ships with Earth - though it's not known as "Sound Swamp" any more. The same sounds are included, but they're newly categorised.

Basically, Spitfire took all the sounds found in the "cartridges" and re-ordered them into a more traditional structure. The "Sound Swamp" sounds are included, but they're spread across categories like "pads", "drones" etc.

Basically, Spitfire took all the sounds found in the "cartridges" and re-ordered them into a more traditional structure. The "Sound Swamp" sounds are included, but they're spread across categories like "pads", "drones" etc.
I like Sound Swamp actually. I wonder if some of those presets are not only in the Pads category, but the Synthetic Orchestra section? Or is the latter a new collection of presets added to the existing categories...
edit: I think the MovieDrome cartridge contains some of the stuff I am looking for.

Last edited:
I have both. Not sure if I can answer this for you personally - but a couple of comments. Earth is definitely more electronic than A1, so it does have a different sound and a lot of more varied material. There are a couple of things which frustrate me. There is so much content in Earth that it's quite difficult to navigate - and I spend more time trying to find the right sort of sound in the various modules. I'm pretty sure this one is well documented if you search the forums. They did try to address this - but I still struggle. Perhaps the biggest issue for me is not having the ability to chose your A/B sound sources - they are hard coded in (if this is possible *please* let me know how!). This is really my biggest bug-bearer and I find really limits my creative palette - which is a huge shame (and most modern sound design libraries would allow you to do this).

Top Bottom