What's new

Is anybody using a single motorized fader controller?

Well...I think the X Touch One is going back. I got TouchOSC working for the most part, although the connection with the bridge is kind of cruddy. Since I got that working I got buyer's remorse, lol. Maybe I got it in the first place because it makes the desk look "legit", but after seeing so many working with a tablet or even a Nanokontrol, I find it difficult to justify to myself. Oh well, maybe in the future in case the tablet just doesn't work out for me.

I'm using an icon platform x+. I primarily bought it for expression control, but I've found it's pretty useful to have 3 faders farthest right for cc1, 11, 104(vibrato), and I'm now using the other 5 along with an s1 for mixing and it's working g out really quite nicely. Was a good recommendatio from the good people of VI-C 🙂
Question: Although I understand they're not exactly the same model, I've seen enough comments regarding the brightness of the M+ as to be curious. Do you find the lights in the x+ to be overly bright?

Just checked this morning when I got to the studio but the only lights the x+ has the way I have mine set up is a tiny red light at the top of each chan strip that lights up when you touch the fader. Other than that, chan 8, 7 & 6 are set up for the usual cc11, 21, 1 - no lights.

Platform x+ fully operational in the image attached Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 08.50.26.png

As others have said, small gripes with getting it set up, but 30 mins max and you're good to go.

Nice! I appreciate you taking the time to post the Pic. I had understood there was no way to deal with the light, but as you say, small gripes.

Nice! I appreciate you taking the time to post the Pic. I had understood there was no way to deal with the light, but as you say, small gripes.
Maybe the M+ is different. The software to customise the M+ and the X+ is exactly the same and, it's true, there's no control in there over the lights specifically. I use an S1 for mixing, so even the x+ is just way more than I need as an expression controller, but I really like the long travel faders, even if it does mean "grabbing" one can be tricky distance-wise in some circumstances - but again, small gripes :)

Recieved a Faderfox MX12. Great Controller. Easy to program and the Faders feel perfect, smooth and just the right friction. I think i tend towards 60mm for CC stuff.

I'm using an icon platform x+. I primarily bought it for expression control, but I've found it's pretty useful to have 3 faders farthest right for cc1, 11, 104(vibrato), and I'm now using the other 5 along with an s1 for mixing and it's working g out really quite nicely. Was a good recommendatio from the good people of VI-C 🙂
Thanks. Will the x+ actually playback CC information on the moving faders? I can never find information on this one critical aspect. I know you can ride a CC fader on it, but will it "playback" your moves after you do them, and is it touch sensitive so you can touch it for corrections like the volume faders are?

Thanks. Will the x+ actually playback CC information on the moving faders? I can never find information on this one critical aspect. I know you can ride a CC fader on it, but will it "playback" your moves after you do them, and is it touch sensitive so you can touch it for corrections like the volume faders are?
Nope - despite them being two-way motorised faders in mix mode, it's one-way traffic on cc automation front I'm afraid!

As I say though, using the unit in mix mode, it both plays back and live tracks as you move faders in your daw, so maybe it could be possible? o_O I haven't found a way to do it for cc automation though.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd want it to...?

Ok, I'm back with a more technical question. I'm considering getting the X Touch One again mainly for mixing. I found another controller which is dedicated to midi cc, so the Behringer would be mostly a control surface and the occasional use of its long fader for something else, while I'd use the other for expression.

I should add I'm a beginner and I think I'd be mostly working with midi, if that makes any difference. I really have no idea if multiple faders are better suited.

My technical question is if one fader surfaces are useful enough for mixing.

This would be the combo:

s-l1600.jpg + behringer-x-touch-one.jpg

To me this seems very sensible, both for usability and desk space. However, I find so many opinions on the benefits of multiple faders for mixing that I'm still undecided.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Usb-and-Din-Midi-Controller-3-Faders-programable-CC-Channel-Range-DAW-SYNTH-V2/224422003566?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D83f8fe213e6f4f7e9b3a62abb68995b8%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D193927800056%26itm%3D224422003566%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Acc0a5fd2-9ed0-11eb-afa1-fee3f2960806%7Cparentrq%3Adb834a361780a4b4f31b4d5affdf9277%7Ciid%3A1 (Expression controller)

Last edited:
For mixing, one fader isn't really useful, unless by mixing you mean just setting up volume of a selected channel when working on it. And before buying, you have to check if the controller will follow your channel selection.

I bought a Platform M+ about a year ago and love it, because I work with picture a lot and having the ability to quickly adjust dialogue, sound fx or music guide is something that I can't live without now. That said, this controller won't follow your channel selection, which for me is the desired feature. You can switch between "banks" by using the arrow buttons on the device - which is basically just moving up or down the mixconsole by one or 8 channels. And the master volume is super useful again, when working with picture.

If you have Platform X+, I'm not 100% sure, but I suppose you can program the knob press to work as the bank flip buttons. If I knew, I'd go for X+ instead of M+, as I don't ever use any other buttons and the jog wheel.

One note, you can't do CC and mixing at the same time with this device. You need to restart it each time when changing mode and reconnect with your DAW. Which can take a moment.

- Piotr

Thanks Piotr. I'm not professional composer. I got the X Touch One because of space and because I'm learning the DAW at the same time. It does follow track selection, so at least that is sorted out. I'm using Reaper and a plug-in called Realearn, which let's me define parameters and modifiers, so the fader (and any other element) can be redefined.

You raise a point which interests me. You say one fader is not really useful for mixing unless it means selecting the volume of a channel. What did you mean by mixing?

Another point: I have already been able to redefine the fader to control a parameter within Kontakt, and I do see it is smoother than using the mod wheel or a pedal. Is it really that necessary to have a second fader to manipulate a second parameter at the same time? I see everyone goes back to redrawing with a mouse.

Very useful. How about letting the man speak for himself? If that were the case, then other one fader controllers wouldn't exist, if they were useless.

Softube Console 1 Fader. 10 faders, far smaller than even 8 fader units out there, brilliantly integrates with Studio One and Cubase. Was surprised how much I use it but it is so fast for balancing work.
I am also considering this one, in combination with the original Console 1. But how do you get around on it without scribble strips?

I am also considering this one, in combination with the original Console 1. But how do you get around on it without scribble strips?
I have console tape on it to mark numbers 1-20 (1|11, 2|12, etc). That makes it very quick to correlate the fader number to the Console 1 On Screen Display (which you want to be using). Would scribble strips be nice? Sure, but the size of the unit would be larger then. Do I miss them? Not really. Most scribble strips are too small to show the full track names anyway.

Top Bottom