What's new

Infinite Series (Aaron Venture) thread

View attachment HTTYD Mockup Master.mp3

Ok, my new test in IB with HTTYD. 12 Horn, 4 Trp, 6 Tbn(3 Tbn, 3 B.Tbn), 1 Tuba.
To test how well it mixes with the VSL's Synchron Stage, I put the studio IR's close mic into the Mir Pro Synchron Stage.
I also tried the newly purchased Syncron Perc. :)
Very good!
View attachment HTTYD_Mockup_Brs.mp3

I forgot to post this Brass Stem track, which is all IB only.
MIR Pro Synchron Stage was used, and the horn had a lot of EQ curves applied.

View attachment HTTYD_Mockup_Brs.mp3

I forgot to post this Brass Stem track, which is all IB only.
MIR Pro Synchron Stage was used, and the horn had a lot of EQ curves applied.
Cool! Still I have a feeling that this kind of sound and arrangement could be achieved easier with wet sample libraries. I am heavily considering Infinite series, but to fill the virtuosic solo dent in the instrumentary, and some neat special effects I've been hearing from IB.

On this day... my checking account cried out in anguish.
But my soul is stuck to the ceiling.

Here's an Infinite Brass rendition of a fanfare I wrote for one of my characters:

(how do you upload actual files like everyone's been doing?)

Piano roll only, not even using my preferred setup (drawing tablet to draw the CC curves), just using a mouse and nothing else. I don't even currently have a working MIDI controller, so I've at least proven you don't technically need one to use the AV instruments.

In previous arrangements of this theme, I've always had to leave something out due to the limitations of even otherwise super agile libraries - for example, the little grace note flourish around 6 seconds. That was always supposed to be there, but nobody's heard it until now because I couldn't get it to work before. I've even added things to it I never even considered before - a little flutter here and there, a quick mid-note crescendo about halfway through... It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close.

I have a slight issue where connected legato notes, like for rips, are somewhat quieter than I expect them to be. I'm sure I just need to trawl through the technical walkthroughs and the manual to figure that one out, unless anybody has a quick tip on that one. Anybody experiencing super soft rips?

I haven't even tried out the other instruments yet. I'm just... very happy.
Next Friday I plan on buying IW and Sample Modeling Strings, and then getting to work.

Welcome to the club :)

You should be able to attach an mp3, and then once it is attached there is button to insert it into the post (which has the audio player controls etc).

Still getting used to the woodwinds. I think the flutes still need the most love in future updates. They can be very versatile and agile (even in exposed lines), but there are just little hints here and there I can't seem to shake with the programming. The biggest problem IMO is the tone in the flutes. Sometimes they'll just hit a note or interval that sounds very synthy, but then other lines sound very natural.

Attachments

• Beter_and_Wolf.mp3
    958.4 KB
Those flutes are still pretty good. What strings are you using?

Here's the thing I posted yesterday, except with most of the brass section playing at once. Some of these parts are definitely best left to the other sections, and there's too many melodies happening simultaneously, but I'm trying to get a feel for how IB works so I'm going a bit crazy with the orchestration:
View attachment IB Rogers Theme 3.mp3

I must say I'm rather disappointed with the low brass so far. To the point where I might have to supplement it with other libraries. Especially the tenor trombones. They're just... so tinny and hollow that the sustains above mp are essentially unusable. For a moment I was wondering if I had accidentally been sent the wrong version of the library. But also, this isn't a full mix... and even though I can't do BRRAAAMs on trombone, I can do basically everything else - which happens to be the exact opposite blind spot of most other libraries. Looking forward to trying out some choral sounding soft low brass later this week.

I don't think I'm going to need any more trumpets or french horns ever again, though. Well, at least not for the foreseeable future. Those two are so good.

I haven't tried the euphoniums, contra tuba, or cimbassi yet cause I'm not sure what to use them for.

But yeah... The regular tuba leaves a bit to be desired so far. It lacks definition and the room doesn't match the better instruments. It doesn't rip or crackle like I feel tuba is supposed to. Instead, I get kind of a rolling, atonal, boiling rumble.

Tuba would also be one of the brass instruments that should get the IW treatment - breath and valve noises. But I can add those manually.

I'm still getting the hang of it, though. I'm sure I can get the low brass sounding closer to how I like it.

I might try copying the passage from the beginning of that piece to see if I can troubleshoot my tuba workflow or at least pinpoint what it is I find missing.

I just feel like the tuba in that is somehow more clearly defined than the IB tuba. The IB tuba feels blurry and I haven't gotten anything I'd describe as "sonorous" out of it yet. Its shorts are decent but I might have to switch to the Studio mics and reroom it. The long notes for the low brass in Bersa and Mozarteum are just kinda... Idk. Sounds like a metal tube, not a concert hall.

Maybe I'm still unintentionally pushing the dynamics too high overall. I'll probably like the low brass more when they're playing quietly.

I haven't tried the euphoniums, contra tuba, or cimbassi yet cause I'm not sure what to use them for.
A euph player once begged me to arrange a track from Amelie for him.

Never... ever... underestimate the desire of euph players to show how belonging their instrument is in the world of difficult impossible crazy epic wonderful beautiful music.

Write whatever you want. Just don't write anything boring. :)

Edit: mind you, that was in high school, thus the need to prove his instrument. lol

Oh, I should point out also that I've heard both versions, one with the minor triad performance with legato, and another version with staccato. My version did the staccato.

All infinite.

Very unserious. Copy-pasted each performance, enabled humanize, mass-dragged the vel/cc-lane up or down a bit. That's it. Chords were lazily done too. Just a quick test.

Attached a WAV for those who might A/B it.

Attachments

• Inception - Infinite Brass.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 13
Top Bottom