What's new

Indie Film Music Contest Winter 2022 Incoming

Hi all,

Here’s a link to the relevant page for the contest providing details regarding the videos, registration and entry fees.

Really liked this short film they offered for re-scoring so did both clips of it since it seemed to create a complete short film. Went with t hybrid score because I just couldn't keep synths out of the sci-fi goodness of it. Not sure which to enter yet, so appreciate feedback on which one or any other feedback.

Any other VI-Cers enter this one? I would love to listen to some other entries.
I would also love to see some entries, but don't think this competition is so popular here due to the cost of entering.

I have tossed in an attempt as well. I have used it more as practice and for the sake of getting feedback from the judges, which helped me not taking it too seriously. I'm probably at the edge of "mickey mousing" but I had fun with it nonetheless. Really enjoyed your entries as well @Remnant! Did you decide which to enter? Hearing them makes me worried I don't have more synths in mine... :cautious:

I would also love to see some entries, but don't think this competition is so popular here due to the cost of entering.

I have tossed in an attempt as well. I have used it more as practice and for the sake of getting feedback from the judges, which helped me not taking it too seriously. I'm probably at the edge of "mickey mousing" but I had fun with it nonetheless. Really enjoyed your entries as well @Remnant! Did you decide which to enter? Hearing them makes me worried I don't have more synths in mine... :cautious:

Very nice! Really love the trumpets in yours. I don’t think synths are a requirement, it’s just hard for me to stay away from them when the backdrop is space. I agree the cost is a barrier to entry, but the reason I like this competition is the fee gives you access to two full short films to practice on, which is really valuable for me.

I decided to enter part 1.

Very nice! Really love the trumpets in yours. I don’t think synths are a requirement, it’s just hard for me to stay away from them when the backdrop is space. I agree the cost is a barrier to entry, but the reason I like this competition is the fee gives you access to two full short films to practice on, which is really valuable for me.

I decided to enter part 1.
Hehe, I felt the same way about synths and space but it ended up panning out differently. Good way to look at it in terms of practice, unless you work extremely slow like me... :rolleyes:

Great choice, though they are both submission worthy IMO. I love hearing these different entries and how much the music completely transforms the feel of the clips. Good luck man!

Hehe, I felt the same way about synths and space but it ended up panning out differently. Good way to look at it in terms of practice, unless you work extremely slow like me... :rolleyes:

Great choice, though they are both submission worthy IMO. I love hearing these different entries and how much the music completely transforms the feel of the clips. Good luck man!
Thanks! You too!

@Remnant the first one is great. Really well done hybrid mix, not too dense and very nice tension build up.

@Akora nice try. great brass, I agree! my feeling is that there is too much going on (I often have the same problem :)) and sometimes it sounds more aimed to a battle scene than to an emergency landing. but that's just my impression.
Music could be a bit less prominent, as sometimes it is covering almost completely the sound effects.

Good luck!

And here is my entry for Time Trap part 1.
Doing this for fun and learning.
Actually I scored part 2 first but I have not submitted it yet.

Here I tried to use only orchestral libraries and piano. No synths.

The beginning and the end are an obvious homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey and Strauss, but in a minor key, oh and the final theme is played by an oboe instead of horns.

As usual I started sketching a few ideas on piano, but then I decided to keep part of what I played and build around it.

Strings are Pacific btw. Still learning them but I struggled a lot to get smooth legato, I only got half decent results playing on piano, while entering notes in the MIDI editor generally gave me poor results, no matter how hard I tried to edit CC1 and CC11 data. Also, timing and transitions required a lot of adjustments, and setting track delay was not enough.
I did not expect this.
On the contrary the allegedly infamous portamento has not been an issue at all. Go figure.

@Remnant the first one is great. Really well done hybrid mix, not too dense and very nice tension build up.

@Akora nice try. great brass, I agree! my feeling is that there is too much going on (I often have the same problem :)) and sometimes it sounds more aimed to a battle scene than to an emergency landing. but that's just my impression.
Music could be a bit less prominent, as sometimes it is covering almost completely the sound effects.

Good luck!
Thanks for listening and the feedback. Nice entry and good luck! Definitely a different take, which I enjoy.

Here's my entry for the contest. I scored part 1 of Agent 327. Was very challenging for me, but i finally got it done. My initial concept for the music was pretty sparse; mostly percussion. But since it was a composing contest, I wanted to make myself do more. I think it ended up with a hint of campy, but I'm okay with it.
Thanks for listening!
Steven

Last edited:
Good luck everyone! Along with composing, I rescored all the sound design in creating my musical version of “Time Trap” (part one). Couldn’t help to create and record some dialogue…as it just felt so right! That’s me and my wife Sarah doing the voiceovers! Enjoy!

After watching the finalists work for the IFMC 2023, I started to ponder. Has anyone seen the videos that made into the finals? I'm very curious to hear opinions.

I totally missed this when it started. Any chance anyone willing to share the unscored videos of any of these to give it a shot?

Top Bottom