What's new

Impact Soundworks Super Audio Cart

Happy to report that after installing Kontakt 6.2.2, Super Audio Cart now runs perfectly! I'm able to open multiple instances of the library in Logic Pro X and there are no crashes or endless "spinning wheels" of death. Thank you Native Instruments and Impact Soundworks for fixing, now I can finally start exploring the retro sounds and working on my chiptune project. :)
I'd love a few more data points, but this is really encouraging! This alone might be what finally pushes me to K6.

CONFIRMED Super Audio Cart is now working with Kontakt 6.2.2 All previous versions have made SAC freeze, spin and crash. I have NOT tried to see if Super Audio Cart PC version is working as well. I'll report back when I have time to check it out.

Hi, I've been having this crashing problem with SAC, and I'm glad to hear about this fix. Am I correct in hearing that I need to PAY for an update that fixes this issue? Or is there something else I do to update Kontakt?

(I have Kontakt 5.)

Hi, I've been having this crashing problem with SAC, and I'm glad to hear about this fix. Am I correct in hearing that I need to PAY for an update that fixes this issue? Or is there something else I do to update Kontakt?

(I have Kontakt 5.)
Kontakt Player is free.

Hi,

I'm interested in a good library, or maybe synth that is very good in emulating the old video game 8-bit chip sounds, i.e. Commodore 64, Amiga, ..etc. I came across this library by Impact Sound Works, would you recommend it ?

Does it work smoothly without any issues as Kontakt 6 library, I have the latest version of Kontakt 6 installed.

Impact Sound Works also has inSIDious Synth, which is a NI Reaktor based synth, plus there is the Plogue Chipsounds 8-bit VST Synth.

What would you recommend ?

Thanks.

Phonec 2 is another option.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm looking for this type of sounds (Commodore 64) SID-Synth Chip, it has that gritty, distorted, crunchy sound which is so cool. One of my favorite artists is LukHash, which uses these types of old chip sounds in his music. It would be so cool to have these types of sounds in a VST Synth.

I'm open for more suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm looking for this type of sounds (Commodore 64) SID-Synth Chip, it has that gritty, distorted, crunchy sound which is so cool. One of my favorite artists is LukHash, which uses these types of old chip sounds in his music. It would be so cool to have these types of sounds in a VST Synth.

I'm open for more suggestions/recommendations.

I was expecting some pure chiptune tracks, but LukHash is actually really cool, and manage to make it sound very modern.
For a similar artist, try checking out MDK. He has done 3 soundsets for Serum, called 'Limitless'.

If you just want pure chiptune, I would have thought inSIDious would be the best choice.

I don't have it, but I have Super audio cart and it does have a vaster range of sounds than inSIDious, although not as flexible as it's sample based. And it covers a bit of the Amiga 16-bit sounds, which you won't find in inSIDious. But I didn't hear anything 16-bit like in the LukHash videos, so maybe that doesn't matter to you.
If you have Avenger, they have both an 8-bit and 16-bit expansions, which sounds great.

I was expecting some pure chiptune tracks, but LukHash is actually really cool, and manage to make it sound very modern.
For a similar artist, try checking out MDK. He has done 3 soundsets for Serum, called 'Limitless'.

If you just want pure chiptune, I would have thought inSIDious would be the best choice.

I don't have it, but I have Super audio cart and it does have a vaster range of sounds than inSIDious, although not as flexible as it's sample based. And it covers a bit of the Amiga 16-bit sounds, which you won't find in inSIDious. But I didn't hear anything 16-bit like in the LukHash videos, so maybe that doesn't matter to you.
If you have Avenger, they have both an 8-bit and 16-bit expansions, which sounds great.

Hi @R. Soul ,

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I'm not an 8-bit Chip Sound purist, but like artist like LukHash, and their sounds, which are so cool. Yes, they have a more modern sound than the typical game style 8-bit chip tunes, which is what I like about them. I will most likely be doing something similar, modernizing the typical 8-bit chip sound to my taste.

I'm still undecided what will be my best choice, be it inSIDious, or Super Audio Cart, or something else. I will check your other recommendations as well, I also checked Plogue's Chipsounds VST. But not sure about it. https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds.html

Hi,

I think I found a VST Synth that would work for my needs, and it's on discount for $13.0 It's called MINIBIT. by AudioThing.

https://www.audiothing.net/instruments/minibit/

Adding a bit additional effects to these sounds will most likely be enough to produce the type of modern 8-bit chip sounds I'm interested in using.

Buying it right after I type this sentence :) They also have some other cool instruments, and lots of effects to choose from. Didn't know anything about this company. I'm glad I do now.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Top Bottom