What's new

Hugo, The Protector (Original Composition)

jal0021

Hi all - first time actually posting and first time sharing, but here goes. Feedback is much appreciated!

This is part of an ongoing passion project that began when I started composing short themes for original characters created by friends in our long running weekly tabletop RPG game. It has since morphed into a full blown symphonic suite that will probably take years to finish, but as a hobbyist, it's nice to have a long-running project to keep me focused.

So far, this is the most narratively focused piece of program music that I've written. At the most basic level, it's the story of a reluctant hero, his fated death and unwilling resurrection. In the end, the hero accepts his new destiny as defender of the people in the face of many unknown trials to come.

Libraries used:

BBCSO Professional
Embertone Chapman Trumpet
Spitfire Chamber Strings*
Spitfire Symphonic Brass*

* Used for a very, very small amount of layering in a couple of exposed spots.

For BBCSO, I primarily used the Mix 1 mics with some additional Close mics in the Strings/Woodwinds and some additional Outriggers in the Brass. Reverb is the BBCSO built-in with a touch of Cinematic Rooms to glue everything together. I was going for a more natural, live recording type of sound, so mastering is limited to a few EQ cuts, some tape saturation to add character and Kush Clariphonic to add... well, clarity.

God this is lovely! I will definitely listen to this again. But first reaction: great theme + love the orchestration. Amazing work!

Nice job. Good orchestration and good mixing. Ends really well, can feel Hugo coming to accept his role. Builds very nicely.

Not too much in the way of constructive criticism… I thought the theme got a little lost after the first build up around one minute mark. Overall dynamics were good, quiet and loud sections were nicely balanced.

Ten minutes might be a lot for modern attention spans. But I guess that doesn’t matter if you’re writing for yourself. I think todays modern audience will probably listen to just the first minute or two.

Top Bottom