What's new

How to work with EW templates?

gohrev

Newbie Composer
Good day everyone,

after lurking for months, I decided there is no better place to ask my question. I very recently got into VSTs and decided to go with EW's Composer Cloud for now. It's affordable and, IMHO, a great way to 'get into things'. I first made the rookie mistake of loading a single instrument (e.g. 1st Violins Sus RR 4th position Ni) that would play each and every note of the violin's part. I just discovered the wonder of templates, and so I created the following template for 1st Violins:

• Leg Slur RR LT 12 Ni
  • Sus 13 RR 4th pos Ni
  • Spic RRx9
  • Tremolo Ni
  • Trill HT WT Ni
  • Pizz RRx4
  • Shorts Mod Speed

I think this should be enough for now. The big question is: How do I get my notes to be played by the right instrument within said template? I'm staring at the Midi Editor in Pro Tools and I have absolutely no idea how to trigger the appropriate sample. Perhaps I'm overlooking a tiny setting or detail, but unfortunately, Google has been of no help.

Thank you very much in advance :)
Cheers,

W

Hmmm....unless I'm misunderstanding, why not just create a new track for each instrument/articulation?

Or purchase VIs that use key switches…..
EW is very limited that way and forces you to use multiple patches. Its frustrating even more so because I like to write each instrument on one track as much as possible. EW in many cases forces you to write a single melody over multiple tracks or get stuck using one articulation and hope that it works.

Unfortunately when using Play you will have to have a separate track for each articulation in Pro Tools because Play sux. Either use a library that allows setting up keyswitches in Kontakt or use another midi sequencer (Logic, Cubase) that has its own script editor that allows custom key switching.

You can set up key switches and articulation sets (each articulation on a different midi channel) using play in Logic.

Hmm.

1571098509773.png

Just create a multi and assign each articulation to a different midi channel?
[/QUOTE

Exactly!

Exactly... multi articulations in Play, each on a different midi channel, then in Logic you can create key switches for each articulation, then you can create an articulation set, then you only need one track for the instrument rather than one for each articulation.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the replies!

@mikefox - I try to keep my tracklist as clean as possible, otherwise I would have to cut up and copy-paste my violin parts in many, many tracks

@robertg - I would like to try to get the most out of EW before looking into other libraries first, and I also want to keep my tracklist clean :)

@BassClef - it Cubase could be a better DAW for orchestration, but surely Pro Tools would offer similar functionalities for midi editing / arranging?

@EgM - that's exactly what I did, but now the challenge is: How do I trigger the various articulations within the same instrument track?

I use 37 articulations of first violins from one track in Reaper+Reaticulate.
If you are using Pro Tools, yes, TransMIDIfier (or, may be TransMIDIfier + Vienna Ensemble Pro) is your choice. Or, you can make custom patches in Plogue Bidule, which will transform PrCh messages (for articulation selection) from ProTools to different Play instances, placed on different midi buses in Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 14.20.03.JPEG
    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 14.20.03.JPEG
    46.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 14.22.39.JPEG
    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 14.22.39.JPEG
    28.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yeah, In Pro Tools you can't really choose articulation through midi channel..I use the keyswitch patches for the longs, and a seperate channel for the shorts..probably need another one for pizz and any other odd articulations..set them up and use show/hide tracks..

Yeah, In Pro Tools you can't really choose articulation through midi channel..I use the keyswitch patches for the longs, and a seperate channel for the shorts..probably need another one for pizz and any other odd articulations..set them up and use show/hide tracks..

I have great respect for the audio workflow in PT, but the MIDI is like fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

Top Bottom