What's new

How to tell the default midi cc of a parameter in Kontakt

pipedr

In Kontakt instruments, often times I can right click on a parameter (e.g. Legato Volume) and it will show MIDI learn. However, if I just want to use the default midi CC number to send it a signal, how do I find this out? (i.e. is there a button to click on that will say what midi CC number a parameter is set to?)

AcousTech

Not in front of my machine at the moment, but I think you should be able to find that in the Automation tab as referenced here:

Does that help?

OP
P

pipedr

Thank you! It seems that that is the answer, but if I go to a Century Violas patch, for example, everything under MIDI Automation is blank, even though I know that dynamics are controlled by CC 1, and Expression is controlled by CC 11. And it's not telling me what controls Speed, Vibrato, or Legato Vol by default. Anyone know what's going on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 9.42.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 9.42.12 PM.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 7

AcousTech

Whoops! Well, right you are. So that didn’t help.

EvilDragon, you are much savvier with Kontakt than most of us. Are we missing something obvious here?

AcousTech

Here's a thought. Can you just right-click on any given control that you know works, and see if it shows the assignment? This may depend on how it was assigned, but here's an example:
1636932040702.png
Now, as you can see that also matches the list in the MIDI Automation tab, so I'm not confident this will work, but maybe give it a shot?

Sarah Mancuso

Esselfortium
If the MIDI automation tab is blank, the modulators affected by those controls are probably mapped directly to certain CCs in the Kontakt wrench view.

AcousTech

Thanks for the hint Sarah.

pipedr,

Maybe like this - here's Session Strings Pro, under the wrench menu:
1636949398353.png

I don't have Century stuff to try it with. Care to share your results?

storyteller

Thank you! It seems that that is the answer, but if I go to a Century Violas patch, for example, everything under MIDI Automation is blank, even though I know that dynamics are controlled by CC 1, and Expression is controlled by CC 11. And it's not telling me what controls Speed, Vibrato, or Legato Vol by default. Anyone know what's going on?
Top right corner of the Kontakt instrument… the “?” Icon. That will tell you 8dio’s default mappings. You can override them with the midi automation tab. Whether or not the defaults show up in the midi automation tab is up to the developers.

OP
P

pipedr

Thanks everyone for the help! Clicking on the questions mark shows me what I wanted to know:

1637001114505.png

Hmm...but the wrench tool did't show the same information on CC defaults (if I'm doing it correctly, not very familiar with the wrench)...

1637001295022.png

Top Bottom