What's new

How to get good at Zebra?

I'm very much a visual learner, so for me a synth like Serum was a very good way to learn synthesis. You see the waveforms, the filters, the envelopes and lfo's visually doing their thing. Made everything so much easier to understand for me.
Zebra only has a couple of modules (Fold and MSEGs) that have any visual feedback. I don't think u-he is big on this maybe because it adds more CPU load. One thing I've found helpful is to add an oscilloscope plugin to your master bus and see what the Oscillator effects, PWM, Sync and VCOs are doing to the OSC waveform.

I don't think u-he is big on this maybe because it adds more CPU load.
U-He has been adding visual feedback in their more recent products (Hive, Bazille, etc) although not as much as some would've liked. In Vital, Serum, Pigments, etc, everything is animated.

Zebra doesn't have any probably because it's 15? years old at this point. I'm guessing Zebra 3 will have more visual indicators.

Have a good grasp on synthesis in general (the path a sound goes through, from source to end)
Start with the analog path, which is the easiest. Then expand on that.. etc..
just experiment with the other options once you have some knowlegde on the sounds in general.
And so on..

the more you try, experiment, the better you start to know the gui/naming/routing/filters/etc of zebra

One thing I've found helpful is to add an oscilloscope plugin to your master bus and see what the Oscillator effects, PWM, Sync and VCOs are doing to the OSC waveform.
Yes, this, but I also used a spectrum analyzer (like Voxengo Span) to get a better grasp of what the oscillator effects were doing.

Zebra was my starter synth, and I learned a lot with it, despite warnings from others that I should try a simpler synth at first. It was fine. The u-he tutorial videos and the manual are well thought out. And I fell in love with the comb filter, not knowing it was quite unique--I don't think there is an effect in any other VST I have tried that I like as much.

Today I learned a new Zebra trick!

Turns out if you put the MSEGs to single they will work globally (and keep looping) when using the arpeggiator, instead of being triggered on every single note from the arpeggiator.

In all these years I had never tried this, and the manual simply says:

single..........only retriggers after all notes are released (like organ “percussion” register)
My god this open so many possibilities.

Here's another Zebra trick.

If you need random values per voice (like the random modulator in Hive or other synths) you can use the mod mapper modulator. It's not really random, but it's good enough to fool our ears.

1633447354145.png

This modulator has 3 modes:

1) "Increment" which applies values per voice. This is polyphonic so even though it will display a new value on every new key press, the values will be maintained on the voice. So, if you play a chord, each note will have its own value applied.

2) "Key" which gives values per key. In this mode, the value is applied to every note value. So if you play a C4 it will always get the same value from the mapper.

3) "Smooth" and "quantize" will allow you to sweep through the values with another modulator like the modwheel.

If you want a random value on every key press, use "Increment", and right click on the mod mapper UI to generate any number of random values.

Zebra tips. While trying to create metallic noise sounds such as a cymbals, no matter what I did, white noise + VCF + EQ just didn't cut it. The solution came from a Serum tutorial video by Au5. What we need to do is carve out bands of frequencies from the noise.
1637284388074.png

To do this in Zebra, you can use the AP Phaser 8 filter like so:

1637282018261.png

As you turn the cutoff knob, you can hear the band moving through the white noise. Resonance adds a bit more teeth to it. Split works more like a fine tune. Modulating these ever so lightly can produce some very nice results.

This technique works to modify the timbre of any input, not just noise. Works great on pads to generate nice organic sweeps. I've attached the patch with some additional modules and modulations, just to make it palatable.

Attachments

• RN Cym-bell.h2p.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 9
Zebra tips. While trying to create metallic noise sounds such as a cymbals, no matter what I did, white noise + VCF + EQ just didn't cut it. The solution came from a Serum tutorial video by Au5. What we need to do is carve out bands of frequencies from the noise.
1637284388074.png

1637282018261.png

As you turn the cutoff knob, you can hear the band moving through the white noise. Resonance adds a bit more teeth to it. Split works more like a fine tune. Modulating these ever so lightly can produce some very nice results.

This technique works to modify the timbre of any input, not just noise. Works great on pads to generate nice organic sweeps. I've attached the patch with some additional modules and modulations, just to make it palatable.

God tip!! Will try this out for sure

I bought the Nordsund Bundle by @TheUnfinished and apart from the fact that it is a fantastic collection of patches, it is also a wealth of Zebra knowledge. There is a BF sale currently on. For those in the US, it comes to about $85. Having gone though some of the patches, even without the sale, IMO it is every bit worth it.

I bought the Nordsund Bundle by @TheUnfinished and apart from the fact that it is a fantastic collection of patches, it is also a wealth of Zebra knowledge. There is a BF sale currently on. For those in the US, it comes to about $85. Having gone though some of the patches, even without the sale, IMO it is every bit worth it.
I got Nordsund Dusk too in a previous sale. It's fantastic and has tons of great Zebra tips!

Last edited:
My favourite answer to this question is always to "reverse engineer".

Select a few sounds you like in Zebra and then slowly and steadily recreate them in another instance. Make sure you listen to what's happening to the sound with each step of rebuilding it.

You can also experiment as you go along if you want: change the oscillator waveform, use a different filter, alter the envelope shapes and/or LFO rates, etc. to learn how these things affect the sound.

Just by doing this you'll be surprised how quickly you're able to subconsciously make good decisions when making your own original patches.

It also provides fun* moments when you have to work out why your reverse engineered versions of patches DON'T sound like the originals!

*Frustrating. :)

You've gotta earn your stripes.
I'm taking this at face value!

This morning, I opened Zebralette (I don't have Zebra yet), and created a few patches from scratch. I then used these patches in a short track, to try and push what I could do in a limited time amount, with a limited set of features. Here's the result.

There is some mixing involved, side chaining, EQing when I couldn't get the sound I wanted with the built-in FX, a bus reverb, and mastering magic on the main bus, but all sources or instances of Zebralette.

So, do I get my stripes?

Attachments

• ZFS01.mp3
    2.6 MB
Let's revive this thread.. :)
One thing I figured out late in Zebra were the Arpeggiator Modulators ArpMod and ArpMd2. It was really hard to find out where they were within the UI.

In Zebra, you have to select the +A or +AB buttons to see the lanes.
1640814774903.png

In ZebraHZ, it is a bit harder to find because there are no A/AB buttons. The lanes are always present but they just looked like dividers.
1640814918269.png
I wish they had used different colors for the two ArpMod lanes.

You can associate ArpMods to levels in different lanes and break the pattern of everything triggering at the same time. In the attached example, I used ArpMd2 to turn off the Bass Drum except for the first note.
Sounds like this:
View attachment BassNDrums.mp3

ArpMods only change when a note/step is triggered so it will need to follow that pattern. Zebra Arpeggiators are really nice but not very easy to modify, especially when you want to insert a new note in an existing pattern. But limitations are sometimes good, they trigger new ideas that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

What I realize is that Soft Synths are so complex, it is hard to wrap an intuitive UI around it that lets you tweak every little thing easily. Thus it becomes imperative that developers find uncommon and innovative UI elements to solve it with in the limited space allocated to them within a DAW. I just have to commit to RTFM, several times. ;)

Attachments

• ARP Bass Hihat Drum.h2p.zip
    8 KB · Views: 6
Let's revive this thread.. :)
One thing I figured out late in Zebra were the Arpeggiator Modulators ArpMod and ArpMd2. It was really hard to find out where they were within the UI.

In Zebra, you have to select the +A or +AB buttons to see the lanes.
1640814774903.png

In ZebraHZ, it is a bit harder to find because there are no A/AB buttons. The lanes are always present but they just looked like dividers.
1640814918269.png
I wish they had used different colors for the two ArpMod lanes.

You can associate ArpMods to levels in different lanes and break the pattern of everything triggering at the same time. In the attached example, I used ArpMd2 to turn off the Bass Drum except for the first note.
Sounds like this:
View attachment BassNDrums.mp3

ArpMods only change when a note/step is triggered so it will need to follow that pattern. Zebra Arpeggiators are really nice but not very easy to modify, especially when you want to insert a new note in an existing pattern. But limitations are sometimes good, they trigger new ideas that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

What I realize is that Soft Synths are so complex, it is hard to wrap an intuitive UI around it that lets you tweak every little thing easily. Thus it becomes imperative that developers find uncommon and innovative UI elements to solve it with in the limited space allocated to them within a DAW. I just have to commit to RTFM, several times. ;)

Keep blessing this thread with your knowledge!!

And patches…;)

Reviving the good ol' thread again.. Here is a technique to get a semi-realistic female vocal "aah" sound-- it will work only well with in the 3rd octave, the lower octaves will sound too nasal. This is just a starting point, there are many ways we can go from here. The secret to making it less synth-y is in the pitch modulation. The LFOs are driving the OSC Detune and Vibrato. There is a simple MSEG that bends the pitch slightly during the attack..

Try modifying the VCF2 cutoff to change the timbre and format. I tried to keep it minimalistic just to demo the method.

Patch attached.

1645832698054.png

Attachments

• RN - Voice Example.h2p.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 11
  • VoiceSample.mp3
    614.7 KB
Reviving the good ol' thread again.. Here is a technique to get a semi-realistic female vocal "aah" sound-- it will work only well with in the 3rd octave, the lower octaves will sound too nasal. This is just a starting point, there are many ways we can go from here. The secret to making it less synth-y is in the pitch modulation. The LFOs are driving the OSC Detune and Vibrato. There is a simple MSEG that bends the pitch slightly during the attack..

Try modifying the VCF2 cutoff to change the timbre and format. I tried to keep it minimalistic just to demo the method.

Patch attached.

1645832698054.png

I don’t know how you do bro, sounds awesome!!

1637284388074.png

1637282018261.png

Yeah, use it all the time :-D

Top Bottom