What's new

How to create the choppy. glitchy fx

It's just modulating a filter cutoff and LFO with the synth sound. You can do it using the synth plugin itself or audio effects, it's totally up to you and your workflow. There are dedicated plugins that also do this for you as has been mentioned.

I honestly wouldn’t recommend Glitch, it’s not bad by any means but it shows it’s age, I have it and I hardly ever use it these days, Sutter Edit 2 is really the best on the market
Uhm. It's free. Dunno what about it is not to recommend. It works perfectly fine regardless of its age. Absynth and Massive are old too.

Uhm. It's free. Dunno what about it is not to recommend. It works perfectly fine regardless of its age. Absynth and Massive are old too.

Well yeah, and I own Glitch 2, but I’m just saying it’s not as good as something like Stutter Edit 2 or Effectrix

... for the metal stuff I do I always chop up my riffs and create stutters and glitchy stuff by hand....
My first guess on a manual process:
1. create a guide drum midi pattern to replicate;
2. align the wav-file-chops to that pattern (attention to transient peaks at start of each beat).

Alternate: ditch the midi pattern; instead randomly place wav-file-chops with grid-snap off. (Mimic old-school mag tape slicers 'n dicers.)

I am all ears if there is a better manual process that will reduce this to slightly below hair-pulling aggravation. :emoji_scream:

Cheers, Bill

Using a combo of side chain comp and gating, plus manual slice and dice to a complex rhythm I am in the ball park of what I want glitch-wise.

Song still in progress, but I wanted to say thanks for the pointers guys. Very helpful!

This shall fit in a song now underway that is based on the final battle in American God's. I am now past wanting to shelve the song entirely.

Attachments

• Battle Glitch .mp3
    493.9 KB
A question to those who know....

Here is a snippet of a sound I am trying to create (Short Example).

My question is how to create such an effect using a synth and fx processors?

Is it samples with no sustain, quick release? Or, is it achieved through compression? Or, or, or. :thumbsdown:

If you know of a Youtube tutorial covering this query, I'd appreciate a link(s).

Best, Bill

There’s a few turntable scratch plugins and you run a thick drum loop on one track. Change settings and try different things and then edit the combinations together for a cool pattern/sound.
On another track have a synth/bass line that’s doing those accents/hits. And edit it like it’s part of the drum loop/scratch.
Then buss together to compress eq/verb so it’s seems like one thing.

Put a random LFO on a self resonating filter and modulate that LFO's frequency with another random LFO. Put a BDD on that and modulate the delay/time with yet another LFO. Add oscillators or other FX to taste.

Hit record and let the synth glitch away for a while. Use the bits you like.

I once watched an interview with an artist I liked and he started talking about his process for glitchy effects (in this case stuttered and chopped up sample playback) and I was very surprised to hear him say that he just cuts it up manually in the DAW.
At the time I was so glad to have found FX and hardware which allowed me to perform these things that I couldn't believe people actually liked do to that manually.

Similarly, I saw a screenshot of a session by Telefon TelAviv and was surprised to see how intensive their editing was. But I can see the reasoning for doing it manually, since anyone can go buy a plugin and use it. Developing your own techniques, manually or not, makes for a more unique aesthetic...

Similarly, I saw a screenshot of a session by Telefon TelAviv and was surprised to see how intensive their editing was. But I can see the reasoning for doing it manually, since anyone can go buy a plugin and use it. Developing your own techniques, manually or not, makes for a more unique aesthetic...
It's the same for Mr Bill and I'd recommend his videos for this kind of thing - he's got a ton on YouTube. But the tl;dr is that it indeed is a lorra, lorra dice, cut and paste.

I think for the segment in the MP3, it's not just effects on one channel that are being switched in and out. A common trick in this kind of brostep is to run the same line through a number of synth patches and FX and then use them in slices in a comping routine. There's a Dash Glitch video where IIRC he uses the comping functions in Cubase to do it in a psytrance context.

Mr Bill uses Ableton and does it manually. I did find a faster way to comp that way with a mod wheel in Live using Racks and the chain selectors (and other people may well do the same but I haven't seen it on the old YouTubes) so it does feel a lot more like improv when pulling it together but it's more aggro to set up in the first place. I haven't tried the new comping tools in Live 11 for doing this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Before I got hold of Maschine mk3 and Komplete, I did it the same way. It is indeed the method with maximum control and the result is mostly unique due to that way of editing.

Still, I hate drawing in automation lane movements and cutting, copying/pasting and all that when I am actually trying to track musical parts (and I consider these musical parts very much like a vocal track or guitar licks). So, for me personally, it's wonderful to trade control in for being able to play and perform these effects a couple of times and keep what I like.

Also, I forgot: "The Finger" by NI can completeley mess up any audio signal. It's outrageous. Runs on midi notes. Deeply configurable. Or you just route your tracks through it, roll your forehead randomly across the keyboard and voilà! Try the preset "breakener"

I'm not sure if Maschine has some tools that are particularly good for this but there are bunch of sequencers and sampler mashers in the Reaktor library - both factory and user (as well as the Twisted Tools stuff and I guess Blinksonic, though I haven't used theirs) - that are pretty good for sample flipping of this kind.

The Reaktor sample map is a bit of a struggle at first but provides an easy way to comp or switch between sources while you use CCs to mess with the FX or parameters. Many of the granular players can work well in this context, either using granulation directly or bumping the grain size right up so they behave more like samplers with a randomisation function.

HY-ESG is a pretty good trance gate (to throw another tool into the mix) - and it's free. Kilohearts have a nice simple and easy to use trance gate that's relatively inexpensive on sale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom