What's new

Great way to set up for keyswitches in Logic

Lambchops

Hi all,
Some may find this useful so I'm posting here.
I just created a mapped instrument in the Logic Environment window on a blank midi track, linked it to a monitor object then linked the monitor object to a track containing Synchron player (in this case Sync'd solo violin).
Set up a custom preset and was able to name the keys in the piano roll to match the articulations in the preset.
So then I make the music and keyswitches on the mapped instrument track and it links to the Synchron track.
Long and short of it is I get keyswitch labels in the piano roll editor.
Watched a YouTube video to set it up.
Going to be very useful as I add more articulations.

Attachments

• labels.png
    labels.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Very nice ! Do you happen to have the YouTube link ? - I’d like to have a go at this myself :)
Here are the relevant bits of the Logic Pro manual on (1) creating a Mapped Instrument; (2) setting up the names, etc. It wouldn't really be useful for key-switches but - for more drum-kit-like usage - you might be interested in (3) using mapped staff styles if you use notation. The down-side of going this route for key-switches is that it's designed to work with notes that are sounded - even if they're not tuned - so the colour coding, notation styles, etc, are applied to the key-switch notes rather than the played notes.

I'm sure you know, but for completeness: Logic provides Articulation Sets as the mechanism for handling key-switches, with the advantage that colour coding (in Piano Roll), and notation styles (in Score View) get correctly applied to the played notes. Logic can then hide the key-switch notes to give you a clean piano roll/score.

Both routes are handy, but - for key-switching - I'd always go for Articulation Sets first, and fall-back to Mapped Instruments in exotic cases where articulations won't cut it.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, @aldous . Much appreciated :thumbsup:

I don’t use that many keyswitching libraries, but for those Articulation sets I currently use, I’ve applied a script - if my memory serves me correctly, it was created by @Dewdman42 in the Logic Pro forum. It is very handy, as I like working in the Automation view in the Arrange (sorry, Main) window, but that other option above might be useful for me, too.

[edit] the ‘multi tongue’ articulation in the screenshot is due to a wrong naming in my articulation set when I did the test. Obviously, multi-tongueing for Violinists must be…ahem, err…something else.. :grin:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 07.25.37.png

Last edited:
It is very handy, as I like working in the Automation view in the Arrange (sorry, Main) window, but that other option above might be useful for me, too.
Yes - so many ways to do this in Logic, depending on what one needs for any given project. I've taken an automation-based approach for sketching before - like your screenshot - but I found it got too fiddly once I started changing articulation more often than per-phrase, say.

Yet another option: I often end up using a track stack. The top-level track has the MIDI, and then there's a sub-track per articulation, each on a different MIDI channel. You can choose the played articulation by setting the MIDI channel (or use Logic's articulation system to do that for you, if you want naming/notation.) In addition, you can adjust track parameters - such as delay - per-articulation, and play two different articulations simultaneously - whether as different parts or as an overlay effect.

Yes - so many ways to do this in Logic, depending on what one needs for any given project. I've taken an automation-based approach for sketching before - like your screenshot - but I found it got too fiddly once I started changing articulation more often than per-phrase, say.

Yet another option: I often end up using a track stack. The top-level track has the MIDI, and then there's a sub-track per articulation, each on a different MIDI channel. You can choose the played articulation by setting the MIDI channel (or use Logic's articulation system to do that for you, if you want naming/notation.) In addition, you can adjust track parameters - such as delay - per-articulation, and play two different articulations simultaneously - whether as different parts or as an overlay effect.
Ooh, now that’s another clever solution. You’re right, Logic is indeed quite versatile, depending of the task/project at hand. Thanks for bringing my attention to this option, as well.

Here are the relevant bits of the Logic Pro manual on (1) creating a Mapped Instrument; (2) setting up the names, etc. It wouldn't really be useful for key-switches but - for more drum-kit-like usage - you might be interested in (3) using mapped staff styles if you use notation. The down-side of going this route for key-switches is that it's designed to work with notes that are sounded - even if they're not tuned - so the colour coding, notation styles, etc, are applied to the key-switch notes rather than the played notes.

I'm sure you know, but for completeness: Logic provides Articulation Sets as the mechanism for handling key-switches, with the advantage that colour coding (in Piano Roll), and notation styles (in Score View) get correctly applied to the played notes. Logic can then hide the key-switch notes to give you a clean piano roll/score.

Both routes are handy, but - for key-switching - I'd always go for Articulation Sets first, and fall-back to Mapped Instruments in exotic cases where articulations won't cut it.
How do you hide the key switches?
Will they get exported when using notation software?

How do you hide the key switches?
Will they get exported when using notation software?
When you're using Articulation Sets, you don't create the key-switch notes yourself: Logic creates them implicitly according to which articulation you've chosen for each played note, e.g. from the Articulation drop-down in the Piano Roll Editor. In that case, the key-switches don't appear in either Piano Roll or in the Score Editor. If you export the MIDI, though, Logic will create the key-switch notes so you can take them with you to other tools.

If you're using Mapped Instruments then you're creating the key-switch notes just like any other note, so they'll get exported with your MIDI as usual. Hiding the key-switches isn't quite as "natural" as with Articulation Sets, but you should be able to hide them in the Score Editor by creating a staff style for the mapped instrument.

After all this, I just downloaded Studio One (for a months subscription). I'm sold
Okay, S1 seems good too, but I'm not sure what your point is: S1's tool for this job - Sound Variations - looks roughly equivalent to Logic's Articulation Sets. Logic will protect you from building other, unnecessarily complicated solutions by default (i.e. "enable complete features" is unchecked), but I'm sure you can build Heath Robinson machines in either if you want to?

I don’t believe Logic’s articulation sets does that either, so that comparison is moot.
Logic will emit key-switch notes in exported MIDI, but I don't see why that's a bad thing...? E.g. it looks like Sibelius can both import and export key-switches - optionally interpreting or ignoring them - so I don't see why you'd want to throw that information away.

Okay, S1 seems good too, but I'm not sure what your point is: S1's tool for this job - Sound Variations - looks roughly equivalent to Logic's Articulation Sets. Logic will protect you from building other, unnecessarily complicated solutions by default (i.e. "enable complete features" is unchecked), but I'm sure you can build Heath Robinson machines in either if you want to?
I just booted up S1 and started making music straight away as all the articulations for Sync libraries are already in there and very immediately accessible. So from that point of view I’ve just saved a lot of time.

Top Bottom