What's new

Fun clickbait: Synth and Software's Top 10 Soundtracks That Feature Synths

Nick Batzdorf

We asked our contributors for their picks, and this is what we came up with:

wilifordmusic

I'm sure there will be outraged pleas for the scores that weren't mentioned.

But it is a pretty good list and does hit a pretty wide range of film types which is kinda interesting when you think about it.

Technostica

Subscription! Get off my lawn.
For Chariots of Fire I only recall the main theme being played on piano.
I have only seen it once though, whereas Bladerunner I may have seen half a dozen times at least, so I know the music much better.

I seem to recall that Chariots of Fire was a successful single release in the UK.

OP
Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf

For Chariots of Fire I only recall the main theme being played on piano.
I have only seen it once though, whereas Bladerunner I may have seen half a dozen times at least, so I know the music much better.

I seem to recall that Chariots of Fire was a successful single release in the UK.

It uses lots of synths, in fact I don't think it uses anything else.

At the time it was a big deal that one person overdubbed all the parts. "Anyone can do that" (rather than writing the score and not hearing it until it was played) was the knock. :)

OP
Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf

Sorry, yes, he absolutely uses piano for the melody - I meant there's no orchestra, those are all synths.

OP
Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf

Consona

Bruuuh, where's Goldsmith's Total Recall or Rambo2 or Star Treks???

Instead there's stuff like Daft Punk's Tron Legacy? With its copy/paste pedestrian composing? Also, how is Reznor still winning oscars with that repetitive sound design? I've never heard a proper developing piece of music from him.

tmhuud

Brown Belt
What a silly attempt...your right Nick, it’s clickbait. And you’ll never satisfy everyone in every generation! Hey, it’s just cool to see SYNTHS mentioned.

dcoscina

Bruuuh, where's Goldsmith's Total Recall or Rambo2 or Star Treks???

Instead there's stuff like Daft Punk's Tron Legacy? With its copy/paste pedestrian composing? Also, how is Reznor still winning oscars with that repetitive sound design? I've never heard a proper developing piece of music from him.
Don't even get me started on the phenomenon that is Reznor/Ross. Everyone laud's them for Menk but without Conrad Pope, it would have been nowhere near as well written.... Pope is the patron saint of taking MIDI meanderings and making it art. Dude is straight up legend.

Speaking of which, Legend by Goldsmith has some phenomenal blending of synths and orchestra. Yeah, the goblin theme with those DX7 brass "blats" is kinda off-putting but that was the effect Goldsmith was going for.

And where is Elliot Goldenthal's Alien3?? That score has tons of electronics in there.... Much more impressive than the pop list this article comprised...

Top Bottom