What's new

FMC 2021 Competitions

I am an organizer of the events with a wide network of friends doing the same....
I have to say as impressive as your competition is in terms of prestige one thing you and your colleagues have certainly overlooked is to at least display the footage for each category that contestants will be prospectively composing to!

One would have thought that any one of the rostrum of talent you have on the jury would be the first to agree: it just doesn't make any sense to have to pay an entrance fee before even being able to see the footage! After all none of them would work professionally on a project without at least seeing a pilot scene/storyboard or a synopsis of the script!

As a professional composer myself, regardless of the budget, I only work on projects that I feel have a level of quality. Hence it goes without saying I certainly wouldn't pay a prospective client to find out if their project is worth getting involved with or not!

I perfectly understand that the prize money and administrative costs need to be covered by the fee but not to pre-display the video footage is frankly absurd!

Here's how it should be done: https://www.bestservice.com/the_orchestra_contest.html

Last edited:
Just signed up for the documentary and trailer competitions. Not only am I not impressed by the trailer, I'm actually a bit miffed. It's literally just a video of a mission from a (imo rough-around-the-edges) helicopter flight simulator game.

This one won't be a composition competition as much as an underscoring competition. I suppose caveat emptor, but... there was no way to check this stuff before purchasing. I need some practice underscoring anyway, but it kinda sucks.

As for the documentary. It's actually got a story, but I can't quite figure what the story is supposed to be. It's not about Iceland as much as it's just a mashup of bleak shots and then a weird fantasy (?) twist at the end... strange. Not sure what I'll be doing with that one, either.

Sigh.

I adored the Iceland video and had a great time scoring it; although I was confused about his findings in the cave.

I adored the Iceland video and had a great time scoring it; although I was confused about his findings in the cave.
That's fair, I'm giving it another look (I already paid the money, so why not)? I guess I just need to do whatever I decide, rather than try to assume someone else's direction for this one.

I would like to enter this contest but I wont pay 34$ without knowing what I will be writing for. Maybe I am wrong but it feels like a scam. I think I'll pass.

I would like to enter this contest but I wont pay 34$ without knowing what I will be writing for. Maybe I am wrong but it feels like a scam. I think I'll pass.
I wouldn’t say it’s a scam but an odd and certainly counterproductive decision. Only a snippet of the actual movie would be nice to decide whether to go for it or not.

Since I decided to enter competitions only if I have a good feeling about the movie, I’ve passed this one.
Too bad for FMC revenues... :P

It's absurd that any competition organiser should ask people to pay a fee before seeing what they would prospectively be scoring to. Period. It's like having to pay a supermarket up front before seeing what they actually have in stock!

I had signed up and paid for the sci-if scoring...and am immensely disappointed and baffled by the poor quality of the video. Whoever made the decision to use the video provided has no idea of what constitutes a “scoring video”. I’m not entering despite having given them my money (my bad)! Lesson learned!

Just received a notification from FMC, and thought to post it here:

———————————
Dear FMC participants,

Notice on the current evaluation process:
Semi-finalists in the categories Trailer Music, Music for the Animated SCI-FI film, Music for a Video Game will be published on 5, 6, (Broken Link Removed) on the official contest website.

The last days until the deadline to enter the four FMC categories.

Important!!!
One important and, we believe, also interesting announcement for all contestants who entered the FMC 21 this year.

FMC-Film Music Contest plans to create a new platform for composers, musicians, etc. which will also be an international list of people active in music, film, etc.

The aim is to promote individual composers, musicians, etc., you can also find more about people who are interested in the same things as you, watch their work, connect with them. You can also use it as a quick source of info and promo about you for your future and current fans, collaborators and partners.

Where can you find it?
From the beginning of 2022 on our FMC website, which will be completely changed.

Info for you
The offer for registration will be first addressed exclusively to you, our FMC 21 contestants, who show interest.

Your membership/registration in the FMC Artist Platform will be completely free.

What do we need from you now?

If you want to become a part of this platform, write us to email:

[email protected]

“I agree to the delivery of the invitation to the FMC artist platform.”

You will receive all the details at the beginning of 2022.

Best regards,

FMC-Film Music Contest
International Team
https://fmcontest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ba7a91d9d51e706247b631e4a&id=fef6c25316&e=36676a2fce (www.fmcontest.com)

——————————-

Thoughts on this “Artist Platform” proposal? o_O

Top Bottom