What's new

Filter Zippering/Smoothing

MacQ

Hi,

I posted this question on the N.I. forums, but thought I'd ask here as well, since this is a helpful place. :)

So ...

Since you can't control the flex-envelopes from KSP, I've had my programmer write up a script that is basically a 128-segment tempo synchronized array where you can draw custom envelope shapes in the interface, and it will trigger this array on key-press.

I have run into 2 problems, demonstrated by these audio files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1xg2qxnot7drbc8/8tT1fmqLGA

1. The first audio file (FlexEnv - Kontakt vs Scripted Filter Mod.wav) demonstrates the difference between the in-built Kontakt flex-envelopes modulating filter cut-off, and my drawable array method modulating filter cut-off in what should be exactly the same way. The first 4 bars have a repeating saw-tooth filter shape, and it's very tight. The second 4 bars have a saw-tooth filter shape drawn in (4 values over 1/16th note), and it's very sloppy. The array doesn't seem to update the filter frequency fast enough. I can't seem to make sharp "saw-tooth" filter changes. Instead, I get a wobble -- the filter doesn't open all the way before it's closing again, and doesn't get closed all the way before it's opening again. And even this behaviour isn't rigid. It actually wobbles the cut-off frequency over time like a slow LFO, as you can clearly hear, despite the fact that my array is looping the exact same input data over and over.

2. Though the first example indicates that there might be some smoothing of input going on, I get audible zippering when I make sharp changes to the filter using my drawable table method. You can clearly hear it in the second audio file (FlexEnv - Zippering.wav). There's also a PNG called "Zippering.png" where I've run the file through a spectrum analyzer, and you can clearly see the zippering artifacts.

The behaviour I want is the behaviour of the Kontakt flex-envelopes. Instant changes with no zippering. Instead, I have unpredictable wobbles when I want it tight, and zippering when I want it smooth. Very frustrating.

Is there a method I can use to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help!

Seems like you want Analog behavior on a digital filter.
Have you tried modulating the Cutoff Frequency with a slow Sine Wave LFO to see if it has zippers....?
If it still has this, maybe there's a DeZip Script to act as a smoother, but in my experience there's really nothing in Native that gets close to an Analog Filter yet.
I wish there was then I could carry less and save thousands.....
Let me know of you get a Script that allows really smooth modulations, and possibly a recording just holding down a note, while playing percussive notes under that as that is the best test, as the envelope becomes involved at a certain Frequency and gets pizzacatto-y...
Love to hear Kontakt do that. Friends are using u-He and Zebra with decent results with parameter modulation..........FINALLY.

This is probably way to simple to be the solution, and maybe someone with more experience or technical knowledge can explain why it is or isn't, but did you try adding some lag to the modulator inside the patch? I want to think that could smooth the input, but it sounds to simple to work as I wright this. can't hurt to try though.

edit: nm, I misread the scenario. what I suggested makes no sense. I'll excuse myself :oops:

Top Bottom