What's new

FILMS: What are you watching ?

Monumental essay on human kind's existence, directed and scored by a late Islandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (Arrival, Sicario, The Theory of Everything), Last And First Men absolutely blew my mind, from dreamy voice over by Tilda Swinton to hauntingly beautiful cinematography and achingly moving score. Thought provoking and rooted in the sci-fi with nods to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, it takes its time to develop without rushing through, while not overstating its welcome. It's simply CLASS.

As for me, Jóhann Jóhannsson has established himself as a modern legend. God knows, what could he have made if he didn't so tragically passed away in 2018. Those circumstances, however, even more so elevate the importance and the great impact of his works on modern classical music.

MV5BMDZkYWQ1OGItOTRhMi00MzIyLTk4Y2UtNzE1M2JhNmZjMmZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU5NTg5NzQ@._V1_ (2).jpg

Last edited:
Monumental essay on human kind's existence, directed and scored by a late Islandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (Arrival, Sicario, The Theory of Everything), Last And First Men absolutely blew my mind, from dreamy voice over by Tilda Swinton to hauntingly beautiful cinematography and achingly moving score. Thought provoking and rooted in the sci-fi with nods to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, it takes its time to develop without rushing through, while not overstating its welcome. It's simply CLASS.

As for me, Jóhann Jóhannsson has established himself as a modern legend. God knows, what could he have made if he didn't so tragically passed away in 2018. Those circumstances, however, even more so elevate the importance and the great impact of his works on modern classical music.

MV5BMDZkYWQ1OGItOTRhMi00MzIyLTk4Y2UtNzE1M2JhNmZjMmZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU5NTg5NzQ@._V1_ (2).jpg
Thanks. I will check it out.

I saw the late Johann Johannsson in a live show performance of one of his albums at Royce Hall of UCLA. I think it was 2017, or maybe earlier. Very sad to lose such a talented composer. I had no idea he directed movies. He also contributed to the soundtrack of the film with the other composers.

Watching as much scifi as possible. Mainly because I love all alien, mutant, unreal stuff.
Most of them have interesting musicscore to.
Last few weeks, the rerun of Windkracht 10. Nice series about the SAR of Belgium Airforce
but with very good music made by Fonny De Wulf. He records everything with synths en VI's,
no original classic instrument at all. Also no midi sequencing, audio only. If 5 violins are needed
he would play it 5 times, because every slight variation will make it sound more realistic.
Also did work for Disney and others...
Nice Theme of the series, which I like very much :

News of the World..
Don't know why but it seems a bit boring. I mean everything is amazing but the story so simple. hope to find something more interesting

I've been on a stock market binge since the Gamestop stuff.

The Big Short - Fucking incredible movie
Margin Call - Great tense board room type movie
Trading Places - Classic Eddie Murphy comedy....definitely a movie of its time, some might find it offensive 😂

-DJ

I had not seen The Killing Fields since it was in general release thirty-seven years ago, so I recorded it a couple of weeks back; viewed it in three sittings: Holy Mother of Cambodia (!)
Now in the winter of my discontent, I was able to more fully appreciate Mike Oldfield's score. And Sam Waterston has moved from New York Times reporter through the ranks of the Manhattan DA's office.

I had not seen The Killing Fields since it was in general release thirty-seven years ago, so I recorded it a couple of weeks back; viewed it in three sittings: Holy Mother of Cambodia (!)
Now in the winter of my discontent, I was able to more fully appreciate Mike Oldfield's score. And Sam Waterston has moved from New York Times reporter through the ranks of the Manhattan DA's office.
I see I have met a grand tour fan here 🧡🧡

Just saw "Gretel and Hansel" (on Amazon Prime). Loved it, and ROB's score. I went back and looked at some of the reviews, and was kind of shocked at how many people hated it. If you are a fan of A24 type horror, this might be right up your alley. Alice Krige as the witch is phenomenal. Full disclosure: I loved "Hereditary" and "Midsommar".

Queens Gambit
? Not a movie...I watched a few episodes but ultimately gave up on it. I know a lot of people have liked it though.

Recently saw "The Paper" which I'd seen a long time ago but mostly forgot. Good comedy/drama movie with a star-studded cast including Michael Keaton and Dennis Quaid among others.

I just watched "200 Motels" again, for the first time as a sober adult, as it just showed up on Amazon Prime. FZ is one of my musical patron saints, and to this day I am still a huge fan. That said, I thought this movie was awful! The video to film transfer was ugly and harsh on the eyes, the sound was terrible, and the effects were incredibly dated. Except for the orchestral interludes, and an all too brief guitar solo, the music was pretty lousy, too. George Duke on trombone throughout the entire film!? The social satire was flat and unfunny, and the movie strained way too hard to be provocative. I know Frank could be self indulgent, and I have always defended him doing so, but he cut himself off at the knees every step of the way in this movie.

Top Bottom